oneBoro Forum

Goodbye George Friend and Thank You

20 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Top Professional in every aspect and a role model to those around him. Shame he couldn't see his days out here but I wish him well. Hopefully the fixtures will be kind and we won't get Birmingham at the Riverside until late in the season with the crowd back in to give him a send off.

To misquote Joe Cocker: 

"We got by with a little help from George Friend"

"We got high with a little help from George Friend"

Surely you mean Wet, Wet, Wet? 😁

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The news of George Friend not deciding to accept a new one year extension and to move to pastures new will come as a shock to many so like those before he deserves his own dedicated thread in order th

Time to move on but as far as VFM , hard to beat and absolutely bought into the club, town and people.  2 things stand out for me.  When my lad was very poorly, we had one of those days through m

Didn't he sign for £100,000? If so, I think he has to be up there with the best VFM signings we've ever made, and that's even more impressive considering how many clubs have pulled our pants down over

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

or even the people who actually wrote it

You mean those kids from the wonder years 🤷‍♂️

If it's true and Friend does leave us, fair play to him. He's been committed to the club for the best part of 8 years now. He's turned down moves to Premier league clubs (if the rumours were true) earlier in his Boro career to stay with us. As others have said at his peak he was probably one of the best left backs in the league.

But the time has come to move on. As a left-back I can't see a future for him, he has put in some decent performances at center back, but it isn't his "natural" position. If NW gets his targets in, Friend will potentially be 3rd/4th choice.

If Birmingham have offered him equal terms but promised more playing time I can understand that entirely. If they've offered more than we were plus more playing time that's even more of an incentive. Plus there is the fact he could be playing under a manager that arguably he played his best football under.

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just realised I'm gonna have to change my profile picture when he's gone, thanks a lot George 'Friend'.

😢

you've had a good run with it.....think what life would have been like if Keown or Dowie had played for us instead

• Haha 1

Perhaps if he had spent time down the pub and getting high like a certain other we know he may have got offered a coaching job with management possibilities.

Good luck George you were a great servant to the club, you will be missed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

If Friend records a goodbye video, I might have to get the tissues out.

Never mind, got to get them out already.

Wow. I've got a feeling there are gonna be quite a few wives and girlfriends feeling a bit neglected over the next couple of days. 

Shops all over Teesside will be running out of tissues, wet wipes and lube. 😂

It’s not fair for him or us how it’s come to an end. I can only hope that Boro v Birmingham is late enough into next season that a stadium full of fans can give him the reception he deserves for years of unbridled commitment, energy and professionalism. His body sadly seems to be giving up on him so from a footballing POV it was time to split, but that doesn’t stop it being hard to take.

• Like 3