oneBoro Forum

TONY PULIS

Hi Boro fans, I'm currently writing a book on English football and I need your help. I'm obviously writing about all aspects of English football from Guardiola to of course Mr Pulis. Could anyone give their views on the tactics he used ( I believe he used a back 3??) I tried this on the stoke forum and they thought I was a rival fan taking the ***, as a book that contains his style of play may not be considered riveting to say the least

Cheers

6 minutes ago, InterestedAuthor said:

Hi Boro fans, I'm currently writing a book on English football and I need your help. I'm obviously writing about all aspects of English football from Guardiola to of course Mr Pulis. Could anyone give their views on the tactics he used ( I believe he used a back 3??) I tried this on the stoke forum and they thought I was a rival fan taking the ***, as a book that contains his style of play may not be considered riveting to say the least

Cheers

5 Centre backs and 4 defensive midfielders at times last season.  

13 minutes ago, InterestedAuthor said:

Cheers

Embarrassing.

• Like 1

Played our most creative player and biggest reputation player as a defensive LM in Braithwaite, bought a 7 million pound goalscoring midfielder and decided to play him LWB/LDM, oh and the exact reason he signed McNair for 6 million pounds are still unknown to this day if he played him at all he played him CB RWB CDM.

His transfer recruitment in his two January windows was try for Mitrovic wait for him until he made his mind up then hit the pub, then next January wait for Jacob Murphy's decision then hit the pub.

Constantly blamed other people, players, referees, luck and 'departments' for his failures whether it was our award winning medical department which he 'overhauled' or our recruitment which he 'overhauled' twice apparently. Also bottled the reason we brought him in 5 months in the job in two legs vs Aston Villa, bar a last minute free kick from Downing, we offered nothing against an extremely average Villa side that's on him and his tactics.

22 minutes ago, InterestedAuthor said:

Cheers

I would direct you to our season highlight videos from his time here, but I'm not sure they exist.

1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

EVERYONE MUST REMAIN BEHIND THE BALL AT ALL TIMES. Britt used to carry his mobile to keep in contact with his team mates during the game. 

And no one will ever try and run beyond their marker. everyone must remain in the shape and kick it as far as possible hoping for a defensive blunder

Just now, Dynamo Kev said:

And no one will ever try and run beyond their marker. everyone must remain in the shape and kick it as far as possible hoping for a defensive blunder

Unless you're Adama Traore, who can go as far forward as he wants because Pulis has put another CB at RB to cover for him.

Disconnected the club from its fans with boring, long ball uninspiring football and tried to make out he was some kind of saviour to our club.

To sum Tony Pulis up in afew words id say a f*****g fraud

One game that really sums up Pulis was our home fixture against Brentford in his last season in the 60th minute, we were 1-0 up in a very close game. Brentford were beginning to turn the screw and it looked like a 1 goal lead wasn't going to be enough.

There was half an hour left and Pulis had a decision to make. Surely with that much time left you would make an attacking substitution to try to regain momentum and extend your lead?

Tony does the opposite. He takes off Assombalonga, our top scorer, and replaces him with a defensive player. He expects the team to sit back and defend the lead for the rest of the match.

Within 5 minutes of the substitution Brentford have scored twice. We are screwed by Tony's negative mindset. Cue howls of decision from the stands. Embarrassing 

Watch the two play off games against Aston Villa from 2018 and you’ll get a good description of his tactics. Would rather play out two 0-0’s in play off games than actually try to win. It was horrendous throughout. The guy is stuck in a time loop from 20 years ago. Maybe it’s better to do a chapter on how he sorts things out behind the scenes. 

6 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

One game that really sums up Pulis was our home fixture against Brentford in his last season in the 60th minute, we were 1-0 up in a very close game. Brentford were beginning to turn the screw and it looked like a 1 goal lead wasn't going to be enough.

There was half an hour left and Pulis had a decision to make. Surely with that much time left you would make an attacking substitution to try to regain momentum and extend your lead?

Tony does the opposite. He takes off Assombalonga, our top scorer, and replaces him with a defensive player. He expects the team to sit back and defend the lead for the rest of the match.

Within 5 minutes of the substitution Brentford have scored twice. We are screwed by Tony's negative mindset. Cue howls of decision from the stands. Embarrassing 

From memory weren't we well on top when he made the sub? That's what made it so annoying was that we were comfortable before hand.

Big lads playing all over the bloody place, this is Swansea away and the following game, Bolton away.

image.png.336e4f1b4a68915c5186bee472331255.png

image.png.c2daf1944cbac4e39c20b21ceefe7419.png

Dael Fry, centre-back future of the club, often playing out of position. Practically playing left-back sometimes, definitely playing right-back sometimes, despite the fact the lad has probably never before had to work a touchline.

Ryan Shotton, another centre-back/right-back sometimes pushed further on as a wing-back. Also loved throwing his way up the line, i.e. taking a throw from deep in our own half and throwing pretty much parallel to the touchline in order to get a slight knock further up the pitch and have another throw-in from thre. It was effective in getting us up the pitch a few times, but the resultant long throw into the box from Shotton pretty much only paid off once, in the havoc it caused in the opening game of 18/19 at Millwall for our equaliser.

George Saville being played out wide because the man couldn't sign an actual winger and somehow thought a team with a bazillion centre-midfielders needed an extra one. Then, as we all joked that he'd sign another one in January, JOKED, he went and brought in Jon Obi Mikel, another bloody centre-mid to add to this ever increasing list. That list, Leadbitter, Clayton, Howson, McNair, Wing, Besic, Saville, Mikel, centre-mids for daaaaaaays.

Britt Assombalonga, Jordan Hugill, Rudy Gestede, they all had a go at being the guy leading the line. And by leading the line, I mean being the only man past the half-way line for a lot of the game, as they'd run and chase down long balls down the channels and look for support to see team-mates struggling over the half-way line at best.

Away from the tactics, the fella was brought in to 'sort us out' and the only good thing he did in his 18 months here was make a player out of Traore. And boy, he got that spot on, so much so that we had to sell him. Even when he did something good, it turned out just to hurt us even more as he found himself incapable of signing anyone without a '#UTB' tattoo on their cock.

His words after his final game sealed him as one of the most delusional managers to ever take charge at the club. Claiming that finishing 7th that year was better than finishing 5th the year before despite still spending quite a lot of money. It was never his fault in the end, failing to sign players, losing games, being dreadful at scoring goals, these were all just coincidental events that occurred during his time here and only luck separated us from smashing the league and finishing outside the play-offs. Despite all the bad luck surrounding him, Steve Gibson tried to offer him a new contract on reduced terms to keep him on board. Fortunately for the rest of us, he declined and we went for the next best thing; near relegation with an inexperienced coaching staff working for a pittance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

From memory weren't we well on top when he made the sub? That's what made it so annoying was that we were comfortable before hand.

You could be right. My memory of it is that it was fairly close. I suppose that's open to interpretation.