oneBoro Forum

TONY PULIS

He made us hard to beat

He made it hard for us to beat others 

if he had had a team of players who would be committed to his philosophy, we may have done better, but some players did not share his view that a player should be able to multitask and there were many games when some just went through the motions..once you lose the dressing room, you are doomed..whoever you are 

• Like 1

Pulis style of play is to play for a cleansheet and a goal is a bonus. We lined up in a playoff semi final 1-0 down to Aston Villa. With one Striker up top and defended for 90 mins for the cleansheet despite down on aggregate.  But generally how Pulis tactics are  is it's to defend defend defend. Then for throw in its long balls down the wings abit like a rugby game.  

But if you want to talk his tactics going forward it is too have pacy winger's who run down the wings cross and a stricker heads it in. 

However general play it is about being hard to beat and play against. He will set the side to up too stop o prevent football being played. He wants the match to be a scrap. Where his team hopefully will nick a goal and the other team fail to score. However the issue is when the team falls behind he doesn't know or have a plan to get back into it. 

I wish you the best of luck writing your book and when you have it completed please come back here and tell us as would love to check it out 🙂

The fact that you used Pep as one end of the spectrum and then Pulis At the other in your opening statement tells you everything you need to know about that guys tactics. 
He’sa relic of a bygone age that truly ripped the joy out off a entertainment sport and it upsets me just mentioning his name

• Like 1

Wow cheers for the replies, I am very much still in the research phase of the book.  Interestingly, when at Middlesbrough in 18 /19 he was extremely defensive even for pulis, as you were 4th bottom for Goals scored yet finished 7th. At stoke in 07/08 they were in the top 5 for goals scored. From what I've found after he got sacked from west brom he needed to tighten up his defence, and effectively went from a neutral route one manager, with the 2 strikers pressing fairly high up the pitch. To playing 5 at the back with only 1 player with any freedom. Am I right in saying that last season u were pretty much camped in ur own half without any closing down of the opposition defence.

5 hours ago, InterestedAuthor said:

Wow cheers for the replies, I am very much still in the research phase of the book.  Interestingly, when at Middlesbrough in 18 /19 he was extremely defensive even for pulis, as you were 4th bottom for Goals scored yet finished 7th. At stoke in 07/08 they were in the top 5 for goals scored. From what I've found after he got sacked from west brom he needed to tighten up his defence, and effectively went from a neutral route one manager, with the 2 strikers pressing fairly high up the pitch. To playing 5 at the back with only 1 player with any freedom. Am I right in saying that last season u were pretty much camped in ur own half without any closing down of the opposition defence.

The last Pulis season? Jesus feels so long ago and it was only 2 seasons ago.

You would be correct, it was simply pack the defence and hope for some sort of lucky goal.

Being low scorers isn't solely a Pulis thing, it's a Middlesbrough thing. Even the year we got promoted I think we were the lowest scorers in the top 6, and we've been lowest scorers in the entire league now 3 years running I think.

Apart from all of the above , we loved him to pieces and would not say a bad word against him behind his back.........probably because we did not get the chance to say it to his face.

Certainly a capable man at dividing the fans due to his very clever wordsmithery, always siad what we wanted to hear.

15 hours ago, Old Codger said:

He made us hard to beat

He made it hard for us to beat others 

if he had had a team of players who would be committed to his philosophy, we may have done better, but some players did not share his view that a player should be able to multitask and there were many games when some just went through the motions..once you lose the dressing room, you are doomed..whoever you are 

He made us hard to watch

• Like 2