oneBoro Forum

25 Years at The Riverside

I started following the Boro before The Riverside was built, but my first visit to the ground was v Bolton 2018, where Britt scored two thirds of a hattrick - Been there 3 times total, but want to go there once a year at least, in times with no Covid-19 and stuff..

This February I went on the full stadium tour, which was nice.. Amazing how the guest's dressing room looks like a morgue, to give a psychological effect 😉

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

I started following the Boro before The Riverside was built, but my first visit to the ground was v Bolton 2018, where Britt scored two thirds of a hattrick - Been there 3 times total, but want to go there once a year at least, in times with no Covid-19 and stuff..

This February I went on the full stadium tour, which was nice.. Amazing how the guest's dressing room looks like a morgue, to give a psychological effect 😉

You mean a brace?

First time I went to the Riverside was with a free ticket from school to watch England u21s play Austria u21s I think it was. 

First boro game I actually went to see was against Plymouth argyle. Also Gordon Strachans first game in charge. I had travelled up from Wales with the Mrs to see my dad for the first time. Soo good memories even though we lost 1nil. 

Fondest boro memory's sat outside the garden as kid with the wireless radio listening to Alis commentary during the 96/97 season. Also rushing home from work to watch the eufa Cup games. 

First Boro game was vs Liverpool Neil Cox and Nick Barmby scored for us in a 2-1 win.

Its difficult to think of specific games i attended bar the obvious games ie steaua basel and City 8-1. But the promotion season in 97-98 was just pure entertainment from start to finish. 

Worst moment sadly theres too many especially in recent years where we have struggled to score more than 1 goal in a game. However the standout game for me was Cardiff in the FA Cup. The cup opened right up for us with all the big guns knocked out the day before and we just didn't turn up.

Videoed the Riverside from the storage tanks right up to the opening fixture v Chelsea, took my camcorder to the game too👍

Favourite game - Has to be the Chelsea game for the simple fact is was a new beginning for the mighty Boro, been going to AP since 1971 this was space age stuff 

Seen history made twice v Everton

Once when beating them 1-0, via a Festa goal, which was the 1st time we had won on New Years Day since beating Huddersfield at AP in 1958 & 1st time in my lifetime

Secondly, beating Everton 3-0 in an FAC QF & reaching the FAC SF 👍