oneBoro Forum

How many of you play footie?

Hi all, im from the gazzete forum, nice to know ppl remembered me (cough) vectorboro :). I thought id start with a light hearted thread, as im just heading into my first season of footie in a while with Norton and stockton ancients, any one else play, could do with some match tips lol.

i'll prob change my user name being a new forum and all, ill notify when i do, any tips on how to navigate the forum to put a 'banner thing ' lol at the bottom of where you write, like sg pepper for instance.

thanks in advance

hi smithy,nice to see you found your way.

If its your first game in a while today suggest you take things easy,put yourself in the Alves mode.:D:D

Hi all, thanks for the info bugrit and oneboro.

however sarge, its doubtful ill be able to put myself in alves mode, for starters im not a striker, and i dont think id get away with it, in the northern league!

I always found that focusing on just getting up and down did the trick. Most often just being in the right place at the right time does the trick. I'm guessing you play in the middle here. That would be my advice, just make sure you are where you are supposed to be then you will find the game. The rest is down to talent, of course it is much harder to pass straight if you are knackered!

Welcome to the forum Smithy.

Where abouts do you play fella?

And hows the fitness?

I used to play Saturday and Sunday league football........personally if it`s your 1st season in a while, I`d just play it simple......simple passes, make room for yaself and be vocal.

cheers capt

i fancy myself as a right winger actually, or through the middle once im fitter, only time will tell how i'll get on,better get my running shoes on!:P and leave the takeaways behind me.

lol i think its more about being able to get to the right place at the right time.

hi boro boy

the fitness... well i did start doing some running in the morning when i had time off work, but then i went on holiday! had a great time but ive gone downhill.

I just went jogging for half hour this morning, im trying to get up to an hour, then change speeds next week, i think thats the best way, and tips?!

I play wide right, but i like to be in any attacking pos in the midfield, my main problem is strength and agression, i need to work on.

who did you play for? you might know my dad, he manages and plays for a couple of teams.

I used to play until I started suffering from lower back pain. tried everything for 12 months but nothing worked then eventually had to have a disc removed from my spine as it was pressing into my spinal nerve.

That was in march and I've started on the fitness trail again which is proving to be very hard indeed after 18months out.

That is the one thing I would suggest though, get yourself in great shape. If you play saturday then try and go for an hours run tuesday and thursday to build stamina. Include some bursts of speed for 1 minute and then slow for a minute as that gets you more prepared for the type of exertion you do in a match. Hit the gym mondy, wed and thur and work on upperbody / core strength to compliment the cardio vascular fitness of running and rest on sunday by eating lots of meat.

I only say this as no matter what your ability and level in the game to ensure you are competing at the highest level you can you need to be 100% as fit as you can be.

@ Smithy...........I used to play in the Cornish league.

Do your training on the beach matey...........soft and wet sand. You can also set up large pebbles, driftwood to run short sprints between.

I used to play RW and CM meself and I`m only 5ft 6...........just put yaself about in CM and when RW I used to just hug the touch line.

Other than that matey just enjoy your football and don`t take it to seriously.

Also follow HH suggestions, they look pretty sound and will be a great benefit.

Boro boy, i think i'll avoid the beaches round here mate, just took the dog to seal sands seaton the place stinks, we sound similar playing styles.

Hi holdgate

unlucky on your injury, are you trying to get back to playing for a team and where bouts u from and what level you looking for, as my dad runs a couple of teams, as for the fitness cheers for the advice guys, ive gotta lot of work on my hands.

hi smithy, thanks mate. i'm based in london these days, but when i eventually get fit i'll be looking to get back playin 5-a-side again, we're talking another 6 months yet tho (will be almost 2 years out)!

getting into top fitness is certainly no fun, but it is guaranteed to bring the best out of your game!

I've just started playing in goal again after a 9 year hiatus. Its punishing getting back into it.

Its mostly just a bit of a laugh with the lads though, nothing too serious. Looking forward to our first match mid sept.