• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a very emotional time for me as you can imagine 😢 I have to be careful what I say because I had to sign a non disclosure agreement or they threatened to hide my earring 🤫 It hasn't been

I hope both Vickers and Tallentire now feel like they can talk honestly about the club. The control the club exert over the Gazette is disgusting tbh.

I think Vickers is a really good journalist, but he's been trying to work with both hands tied behind his back. The where's-Steve-Agnew saga spelled the end of the paper trying to stand up to the club

Posted Images

I don't know what we'll do without his constant alliteration, metaphors and similes that managed to drag what should have been a couple of sentences into a full page article...

But all the best Mr Vickers!

• Like 1

Yes, I will miss him. It's an end of an era for me as I've been reading his articles for about as long as I've been a Boro fan. He is a huge Boro fan himself and a talented writer and I am sure he will continue to write articles, not for the Gazette and not necessarily about Boro, but I could see him writing pieces for national newspapers and The Athletic. It'll be a huge wrench for him to give up a job he loved. I think he is a bit of a one-off in his approach and I will miss reading his contributions. Dominic Shaw is a good writer as well,  a different style but very readable. I'm glad that he and Phil Tallentire will still be writing about the Boro. 

I'd quite like to go back and read some of his articles about pivotal moments in the history of the Riverside. Maybe tge Gazette could do a bit of a 'best of' collection in a section of the site?

• Like 2

Good writer and obviously a big fan. I've criticised him and Philip Tallantire on here but they are obviously in a compromised position where they feel they can't criticise the club. 

As a fan myself I've wanted a local journalist to reflect the feelings of fans like me who are disillusioned with the way the club is being run. Emotions run high on here and we come out with stupid things and things some of us say as a joke don't always get taken that way online. However, I feel like a good journalist could write a thought provoking article where it asks questions about the club and does so constructively.

I stopped reading the Gazette a few years ago because I felt they were just a PR wing of the club and were out of touch with the fans. Maybe Anthony Vickers will move to another format as a journalist and write about the club from a different angle, I'd love to see that. Maybe he feels differently to supporters like me, but even if he does I always thought that there was a good story in there.

Steve Gibson has taken us to places we never dreamed were possible and I'll always be grateful for that, but since 2006 things have been pretty grim (barring 2 seasons under Karanka). If a journalist can't put together a good story about Gibson's legacy both good and bad there's something wrong. 

I hope the recent criticism online hasn't cost him his job, I didn't like the recent article because I feel like we need to be promoting the area and that article was the opposite but one misjudged article shouldn't cost a man his career. 

I wish him all the best. 

• Like 3

His talent and ability is way above the average local Football Journalist and indeed national writers. Hopefully his departure signals the opening of a better opportunity for his writing talents on a broader platform. His style didn't, and indeed doesn't, appeal to all but very few can create illustrations in Readers minds from mere words. A huge loss to the Gazette and Boro fans in particular but hopefully not to Football. I wish him all the best for the future.

• Like 1

So two senior Gazette journalist leave at same time. Could be nothing more than coincidence, but perhaps they've grown frustrated at having Steve Gibson as boss and not being able to write without their hands tied. I hope they find new jobs. Good writers nevertheless but clearly hamstrung by the clubs stranglehold on the paper. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

So two senior Gazette journalist leave at same time. Could be nothing more than coincidence, but perhaps they've grown frustrated at having Steve Gibson as boss and not being able to write without their hands tied. I hope they find new jobs. Good writers nevertheless but clearly hamstrung by the clubs stranglehold on the paper. 

Massive respect to them if that's the case. Unfortunate I think its more likely a case of a local paper struggling and making redundancies. 

This is exactly what the newspaper requires.

Fresh faces in the hope that bridges can now be built between the club and the gazette and get back to non opinion based articles.

Gazette haven't had inside information from the club in a long while because of the poor journalism. 

It's not a coincidence that two writers have left on the same day when it has been announced that redundancies are happening.

• Like 1

I hope both Vickers and Tallentire now feel like they can talk honestly about the club. The control the club exert over the Gazette is disgusting tbh.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Massive respect to them if that's the case. Unfortunate I think its more likely a case of a local paper struggling and making redundancies. 

Looks like that's the case. The gazette online is an abomination, and paper sales have fallen through the floor.

Thanks and best wishes to messrs Vickers and Tallintire.

I hope they both continue to actively report on the Boro in other forms.

• Like 1