Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://youtu.be/RWKrHUvP4Cc

Looking into ways to share my stream, private youtube might be the way to go. 

Lets put this into perspective after todays results. These championship teams lost to lower league teams: QPR (to Plymouth) Birmingham (to Cambridge) Huddersfield (to Rochdale) Swansea

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

Johnson getting a lot of criticism as usual but I thought he was more effective than Spence today.

I don't think either of them covered themselves in glory today (defensively). 

At the risk of taking some flak, I also don't think Dijksteel played particularly well either.

48 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The other thing, to me anyway, is if you're going to be quite direct then 3-5-2 isn't the right shape for it, is it?  Surely you want the two wide players further forward for a start, so that they are closer to where the ball is going to be played?  Otherwise you're just playing long for the two lads up front to chase after, but you've got nobody going beyond them for flick ons or around them for knock downs really.  That's even more the case if you play long down either flank.

Probably why Warnock wanted to go with a 4-3-3 heading into the season. His style of play works well with that set up for the exact reasons you've posted above. 

If we actually get the ball down and play, rather than launching it long, I think the 3-5-2 will be effective for us, with the players we have.

• Like 1

Couple of positives from the game. 

Fletcher scoring a couple can only give him confidence going into the season. 

Thought Wood played really well when coming on also browne had a few good spells. 

More minutes in the legs. 

Lets hope for a much better performance at watford when mcnair and saville are back amongst the squad as that bench lacks experience and depth. 

Draw for next two rounds immediately after Wycombe game tomorrow, so approx 2pm....next round still regional, but Round 3 "open"....no seeded teams....so any preferences...home draws.."glamour" teams...or someone different

Hmm.

Well going from those limited Sky highlights, it was a typical lower league cup tie.

Defensively we were terrible. Not closing down and letting the opposition shoot from range, combined with acting like statues in the box. Can understand not wanting to tackle & risk a penalty...but we weren't even blocking or forcing them away from goal.

Our goals were a mix of comedy goalkeeping, a couple of nice finishes and an opportunistic tap-in from a flukey rebound off the post.

Theirs were all down to shambolic defending, or lack of pressure in midfield, trying to win the ball back. We still can't defend from set pieces and that last goal in particular...we just let them walk through nearly our entire team!

On the positive side: we won. A potential banana skin overcome. Looking at the players' body language, they didn't seem particularly up for it. Early season rust...still knackered from the rushed finish to last season? Lets hope so.

There is still time for Warnock and the coaches to work with the squad and hopefully get them up to speed.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Hmm.

Well going from those limited Sky highlights, it was a typical lower league cup tie.

Defensively we were terrible. Not closing down and letting the opposition shoot from range, combined with acting like statues in the box. Can understand not wanting to tackle & risk a penalty...but we weren't even blocking or forcing them away from goal.

Our goals were a mix of comedy goalkeeping, a couple of nice finishes and an opportunistic tap-in from a flukey rebound off the post.

Theirs were all down to shambolic defending, or lack of pressure in midfield, trying to win the ball back. We still can't defend from set pieces and that last goal in particular...we just let them walk through nearly our entire team!

On the positive side: we won. A potential banana skin overcome. Looking at the players' body language, they didn't seem particularly up for it. Early season rust...still knackered from the rushed finish to last season? Lets hope so.

There is still time for Warnock and the coaches to work with the squad and hopefully get them up to speed.

With the third goal specifically what I will say is good for Fletch for following that in and being ready for it to come back off the post. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

With the third goal specifically what I will say is good for Fletch for following that in and being ready for it to come back off the post. 

True. When I said "opportunistic" I didn't mean it in a negative way. I know as a striker you sometimes have to make your own luck by being in the right place at the right time.

• Like 1