• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watford fan here - I come in peace. As many of you have pointed out it appears like it's a good time to play us. From an outside perspective that's totally understandable. I thought I'd share our

One positive I do want to make is I think Dijksteel is turning into a quality player back there. My MOTM again today, looks comfortable as the RCB.

I'm a bit amazed that tav is getting criticism after that half. Everything good about us has gone through him. Yes he loses the ball and sometimes hits wayward passes but that's what happens when you

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

I seem to remember us looking ok going forward v Luton and pressing well. Reckon we could have done with some of that last night.... 

Think we just need to view everything when Warnock has the team he wants. Gibson needs to get it done quickly though as cant afford many 'if only' games

We looked abysmal. People got excited cos we scored 4 is all. The first home game last season was the worst I've ever seen a team play, they genuinely looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

9 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

I don't think the commentators mentioned his name again.

Wing really wasn’t in the game but Saville didn’t have a great match either. Saville didn’t seem to be on the same wavelength as the rest of the team and invariably slowed things down with backwards passes even though there were runs being made by other players (an improvement on last season) his anticipation was slow too, but it was the first game of the season. 

I don’t think it’s a massive problem because I think he’ll be benched for the next match. He’s a useful squad player, but not the future Boro captain that was talked about at the time of his signing. 

16 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I wonder whether Warnock really doesn't rate Browne or he was just trying to hammer home the point that we need signings by only using 1 sub last night?

Can’t think of another reason than he doesn’t rate him. The game was only going one way the entire second half yet he doesn’t look to Browne. I think he will be gone when Warnock gets reinforcement. Or at best the last spot on the bench. 

21 minutes ago, chickenlunch said:

We looked abysmal. People got excited cos we scored 4 is all. The first home game last season was the worst I've ever seen a team play, they genuinely looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

You mean the same home game where we had 2 perfectly good goals disallowed...? We were poor second half but I remember us looking good first half 

40 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Just needed Rose tinted for the win. 
the question is now “Do I stick or twist’ for the chance to double up. 

Just need “Deluded” for the jackpot 😉

You are sadly mistaken if you think anyone will show signs of delusion...they will be at their thesauruses looking for synonyms just to spite you

• Haha 1

Might be just me but I thought Britt ran and chased last night and fought for everything. Fletcher was a little more anonymous but still put in a shift. Howson scrapped, snarled, fought and battled in midfield. Saville looked off the pace for whatever reason and going down needing treatment just after the second half had started seemed strange, maybe there was something untoward underlying.

Dijksteel was superb but also I thought that McNair had a good game although Hall looks seriously off the pace and is now causing some concern. If he can't get up to speed quickly we will need another CB signing in addition to the ones we already need. Spence gave a great impersonation of a Now TV Stick, great when connected but prone to losing signal and dropping out.

Johnson was solid if unspectacular but did get a few crosses into the danger area. I suspect he was told not to over commit and risk leaving gaps behind against a pacy Watford attack. Tav has the ability but he needs to release the ball quicker and his team mates need to provide the options to enable him to release it. Bettinelli had little to do but looked sensible and solid and a good acquisition at this level.

I would have preferred Browne to Wing to come as Sub. Wingy suffered greatly last season with both his confidence and role,  now looking seriously devoid of belief. I think Browne could have stretched Watford and caused fresh problems for them but the logic I suspect was simply to get Wingy an opportunity from 30 yards out.

All in all last night wasn't disastrous but flagged up glaring gaps and the desperate need for signings. We need an imposing, solid back line who can defend. We need more creativity adding and a big lump for an attacking Plan B when required. In the middle I think Howson and Morsy could be even better than Grant and Clayts. Where that leaves Saville I guess is simply as squad cover or push him further up the pitch in an effort for him to rediscover that one season where he scored goals and Pulis paid ten times more than his value for the pleasure.

It's a work in progress and by no means the finished article. That said I think it highly unlikely that this season will be completed perhaps making it all futile.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Well we were up against a very well organised side which did make us look rather toothless...as we will against the other teams that will end up contesting the top 6 places.

On the plus side I think we still have enough to do okay against everyone else...and got my fingers crossed Gibson will loosen the purse strings again in January.

Yes I agree Watford were very organised their back 3 yesterday was very good, their defence is probably the best in the league. Craig Cathcart is an international with plenty of Premier league and championship experience, Christian Kabasele gets in the Belgium squad  occasionally and Wilmot is an England under 21 player who had a decent season on loan at Swansea last season, their Wing backs were Kiko (who in fairness is a right back that played left back lastnight)  is a very good player at this level and has played at Real Madrid and Barcelona, the young lad Ngakia was getting into West Hams starting eleven towards the end of last season. They then had two experienced premier league level midfielders who have played for England  (Cleverley and Chalobah) sitting in front of them giving them some protection.  I am not too concerned that we looked toothless last night I think many teams will against Watford this season. 

Edited by Zander
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, Zander said:

Yes I agree Watford were very organised their back 3 yesterday was very good Craig Cathcart international with plenty of Premier league and championship level experience, Christian Kabasele who gets in the Belgium squad and Wilmot who had a good season on loan at Swansea last season and is an England under 21. Wing backs were Kiko who is a basically a premier league player and the young lad Ngakia was getting into West Hams starting eleven towards the end of last season. They then had two experienced premier league level midfielders  Cleverley and Chalobah sitting in front of them giving them some protection.  I am not too concerned that we looked toothless last night I think many teams will against Watford this season. 

Agreed, despite all their missing forwards, that is a top quality defence they have and I think they'll nullify a lot of teams. They have arguably the best GK in the league & probably one of the best groups of CBs IMO.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Agreed, despite all their missing forwards, that is a top quality defence they have and I think they'll nullify a lot of teams. They have arguably the best GK in the league & probably one of the best groups of CBs IMO.

Yes true I forgot about Ben Foster I really rate him.  Even the cente back that they had on the bench is a Chilean international, we will come up against worse defenders this season and I think we will do well. 

• Like 3

Thought 2nd half neither side were causing many problems in the final 3rd, a couple of routine saves from Foster but that's about it. I can't get away with Saville offers very little to the midfield, just my opinion. 

Same old same old, crying out for a creative midfielder or 2, its like a stuck vinyl record.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I wonder whether Warnock really doesn't rate Browne or he was just trying to hammer home the point that we need signings by only using 1 sub last night?

I sincerely hope he wasn't refusing to use subs to make a point. There were points up for grabs. I'd say it's more likely he didn't feel the subs would improve us, which is a pretty damning indictment of Coulson and Bola at the very least, given that Johnson couldn't get in the game at all. I seriously hope Coulson gets his chance in the Barnsley game as it's a bit pathetic that probably our best young player last season can't get a game for this manager because he sees something in Johnson at full back that literally none of the rest of us can.

• Like 3

It was speculated by Johns at the Gazette that the lack of subs was a political point by Warnock directed at those above him, he has seemed frustrated in public over the past week about the lack of signings and numbers.

The fact that after Wing came on he didn't send anyone to warmup made it clear to me he was making a point by not putting Browne/Coulson on.

27 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

It was speculated by Johns at the Gazette that the lack of subs was a political point by Warnock directed at those above him, he has seemed frustrated in public over the past week about the lack of signings and numbers.

The fact that after Wing came on he didn't send anyone to warmup made it clear to me he was making a point by not putting Browne/Coulson on.

That's pathetic if that's the case. Like the higher ups don't already know we need players? The game was there to get something from, the right sub could have helped us get it. If Warnock was just trying to make a point, which I'm still not convinced he was, then that's a pathetic way of dealing with the game in front of you.