oneBoro Forum

Boro v Barnsley 0-2

8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Can't take everyone off I suppose. Fletcher I think would have been one to play every minute right? So that was the first time he'd missed minutes as far as I can remember (might be mistaken)

Morsy for Howson was always likely to happen.

Dijksteel for McNair was the weird one for me.

Yeah mate, Fletcher and Tavernier were the two coming into this game who had played the full games so far.  I'm not that bothered as Tav isn't really that important to us.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EFL Cup - Middlesbrough v Barnsley, 6pm Tuesday 15th September Scene 1: Int (Daytime) [A café table at Scotch Corner Services. Neil Warnock is eating a full English breakfast when a man in dark

Absolute ***. If people seriously want to watch this for a season you are off your bloody heads.  Barnsley get the ball and it’s pass to feet, pass to feet, pass to feet, movement off the ball. We get

Tonight certainly laid bare why Warnock didn't mix things up by using the bench against Watford. If he had the 1-0 scoreline might have been more damaging. We were never going to win the Cup and

Posted Images

I just want to know when this club will finally have some sort of long term plan. As I am sure Warnock will finish mid table leave we get a new manager in who will want all new change. They will then fail we get another in to bring change. The circus goes on we have no long term strategy at all. It's just short term thinking thoughout every department of the club. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah mate, Fletcher and Tavernier were the two coming into this game who had played the full games so far.  I'm not that bothered as Tav isn't really that important to us.

Sadly you're right. Playing a player like him centrally in this system is a waste, the game will just pass him by, through no fault of his own. I think well end up selling him for a couple of mil next summer and he'll go on to have a fantastic career at a more forward thinking club.

Disappointing result but the Carabao Cup is a distraction we do not need and adds to a hectic schedule considering the season finished so late. Warnock will have learnt a number of things tonight about his squad and what needs to be addressed in the coming weeks. After barely surviving in The Championship last season we need a 3-4 year plan to go up and I would be happy this season for Warnock to build a solid foundation and a stable mid season finish.

Sounds like a broken record but it will take time to recover the from £66m spending spree by Garry Monk in 17, losing the seasoned experience of  Flint, Mikel, Downing Braithwaite and Randolph, transitioning from the Pulis way of playing and the financial restrictions under the Woodgate reign.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

Disappointing result but the Carabao Cup is a distraction we do not need and adds to a hectic schedule considering the season finished so late. Warnock will have learnt a number of things tonight about his squad and what needs to be addressed in the coming weeks. After barely surviving in The Championship last season we need a 3-4 year plan to go up and I would be happy this season for Warnock to build a solid foundation and a stable mid season finish.

Sounds like a broken record but it will take time to recover the from £66m spending spree by Garry Monk in 17, losing the seasoned experience of  Flint, Mikel, Downing Braithwaite and Randolph, transitioning from the Pulis way of playing and the financial restrictions under the Woodgate reign.

You are having a laugh.  Deserves a smiley though 👍

Tonight certainly laid bare why Warnock didn't mix things up by using the bench against Watford. If he had the 1-0 scoreline might have been more damaging.

We were never going to win the Cup and a trip to Chelsea would be another game with a very small squad that would like as not end up on the wrong end of a humiliating cricket score. Just the cost of going down there alone when there has been no income for months would be eye watering. Did Warnock deliberately throw tonight's game? I don't think so but he handed opportunities for individuals to shine even if it was with only work rate and determination. Dijksteel did and then McNair but what about the others?

I won't name names but half a dozen aren't up to the level required even though a couple of them have been believing their own hype on the back of a handful of games last season. They are in danger of becoming the modern day Footballing equivalent of Uncle Albert and his stories of "did I ever tell you when". Did anyone see anything remotely uplifting about the performances of several fringe players tonight because I certainly didn't.

Have we replaced the likes of Shotton, Friend and Ayala etc. with the same or better quality? Clearly not, so with a weaker squad than the one which escaped relegation by the skin of its teeth only weeks previously what are people expecting? We have a half decent first eleven and thats it ,no more, no less. Tonight we played our "two for every position" back up players and it stunk the place out. Warnock didn't drag the Club to where it is now, he dragged it out of the mire and has been rewarded by the Club struggling or unwilling to bring in the required quality and quantity since last season ended.

If ever clarity was required that was it tonight, the one good thing is it prevents an "I didn't see it coming" speech because a blind man on a galloping horse can see what Warnock has to work with. There are a few weeks still remaining to add the necessary quality required if the Club don't, can't or won't then there is only so much you can do and only so much you can get out of players as was shown tonight. Our Squad depth is not fit for purpose, the reasons for that are many and varied but to blame Warnock is incredibly blinkered. The mess the club is in wasn't caused by Warnock tonight was the symptom not the cause.

Edited by Redcar Rioja
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Tonight certainly laid bare why Warnock didn't mix things up by using the bench against Watford. If he had the 1-0 scoreline might have been more damaging.

We were never going to win the Cup and a trip to Chelsea would be another game with a very small squad that would like as not end up on the wrong end of a humiliating cricket score. Just the cost of going down there alone when there has been no income for months would be eye watering. Did Warnock deliberately throw tonight's game? I don't think so but he handed opportunities for individuals to shine even if it was with only work rate and determination. Dijksteel did and then McNair but what about the others?

I won't name names but half a dozen aren't up to the level required even though a couple of them have been believing their own hype on the back of a handful of games last season. They are in danger of becoming the modern day Footballing equivalent of Uncle Albert and his stories of "did I ever tell you when". Did anyone see anything remotely uplifting about the performances of several fringe players tonight because I certainly didn't.

Have we replaced the likes of Shotton, Friend and Ayala etc. with the same or better quality? Clearly not, so with a weaker squad than the one which escaped relegation by the skin of its teeth only weeks previously what are people expecting? We have a half decent first eleven and thats it ,no more, no less. Tonight we played our "two for every position" back up players and it stunk the place out. Warnock didn't drag the Club to where it is now, he dragged it out of the mire and has been rewarded by the Club struggling or unwilling to bring in the required quality and quantity since last season ended.

If ever clarity was required that was it tonight, the one good thing is it prevents an "I didn't see it coming" speech because a blind man on a galloping horse can see what Warnock has to work with. There are a few weeks still remaining to add the necessary quality required if the Club don't, can't or won't then there is only so much you can do and only so much you can get out of players as was shown tonight. Our Squad depth is not fit for purpose, the reasons for that are many and varied but to blame Warnock is incredibly blinkered. The mess the club is in wasn't caused by Warnock tonight was the symptom not the cause.

Clarity is a good word and some is definitely required here 🙄

37 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

But he didn't have to play the reserve's he could of played the proper side he will played against Bournemouth beaten Barnsley grown abit of confidence. But now he has rested I bet we still lose to Bournemouth. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jamie-H said:

I reckon he's stitched a few players up here, playing Browne up front after claiming you've never seen him play and continuing the Coulson right wing experiment from Plymouth.

I have a bad feeling you are onto something there. He’s clearly not keen on Coulson but knows from reading forums that most fans want to see him play Above Johnson so he’s thrown him under a bus tonight. If that’s his thinking he must think we are all pretty stupid. Similar with Brown, he didn’t fancy giving him a chance at the weekend when he should have and now starts him out of position. 

Edited by sackrobson2
6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think he's lost the game on purpose, I just don't think he's put much thought into winning it at all. If he really wanted to see these players 'grab the bull by the horns' as he suggested, he'd have picked a formation that allowed them to do that. As it is, he stuck with wing backs and 2 strikers, hanging Coulson and Browne out to dry. Pathetic management.

Agree 100%. 

3 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

But he didn't have to play the reserve's he could of played the proper side he will played against Bournemouth beaten Barnsley grown a bit of confidence. But now he has rested I bet we still lose to Bournemouth. 

If you think that we will lose to Bournemouth then why on earth would we want to play Chelsea at the Bridge with all that wasted cost and time spent travelling there and back, disrupting preparations for the Championship season which is our bread and butter? No travelling fans for a day out, no share of gate receipts, no atmosphere and a humiliating scoreline destroying what little confidence is slowly being built.

Once the double draw was made the die was cast and lets not kid ourselves the double draw was done to suit the big boys not the EFL teams who are merely a necessary inconvenience. We can pick the semi finalists already with four from ten or even six depending on the draw keeping top sides apart. The winners will be one of four who we already know but it keeps the money where it belongs and Sky happy so its all OK as we scramble for crumbs off the table.

Does anyone seriously think Warnock told players to just go out there and don't really try against Barnsley. We all know what Coulson can do (wide players get switched flanks regularly during games to cut in) but he had a bad night. We have all heard rave reviews from Oxford about Browne (playing wide and centrally) but didn't see much of it, Bola surely should have grasped his opportunity and played his guts out to force his way into the managers thinking and pretty much the same can be levelled at the rest of them barring one or two.

Why did Dijksteel come out with some credit and then McNair (the Midfielder come CB) if it was a nothing game. If any of us had been on that pitch last night we would have left blood, sweat and tears out there for the opportunity to play. Regardless of formation or tactics, even bad ones, players have to show willing and that they are up for it. 

The harsh reality is that they bombed and bombed badly against a Barnsley team that made six changes to our seven. Neither Manager took the game too seriously with a total of 13 changes out of 22 but one set of players wanted it more. Arguably they were better organised with better tactics but that isn't an excuse for individuals who had a chance to shine. What we (and Steve Gibson) saw was the the state of the squad after years of excessive overspending and contracts followed by swingeing cuts to the playing (and last season Coaching) staff.

The inability for MFC to produce a realistic and workable Cash Flow Forecast and Budget several years ago allied by woeful recruitment in the interim is to blame. We needed six or seven first team signings as a minimum at the end of last season just to replace what we had lost, more preferably to improve on what we already had in other areas to move forwards. As of now it hasn't materialised, in fact we are in a far more parlous state and as Dickens would have likely proclaimed last night was the Ghost of Christmas yet to come.

• Like 4

I talk to so many fans at the moment who are just past caring, there's no hope of promotion and hardly any expectation that the club will get things right off the pitch, you just think whats the point? 

Maybe it's just a sign that I'm getting old and miserable, I don't know. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, thomas said:

I think even if we do have the money I dont think we will spend it, I think they'll hide behind financial fair play even though every other club seems to be ignoring it.....tbh I think Gibsons happy with the money in his back pocket. 

Doesn't the club owe Gibson £80 million? Not defending his dismal record since Eindhoven or our woeful recruitment, but he's hardly in this for the $$$.

• Like 2

Warnock is here to help build a team that fits the clubs ambition and size of the town. Hopefully it competes in the Championship. 

I really don’t know what supporters were expecting but Warnock give advance notice he would use the game to assess players. The clue is Warnock thinks little of the cup and does not want the distraction while trying to build a small group of blind carthorses into a team. 

I expect to see a lot more poo games until SG fills Warnocks war chest with the tools he asked for. 

SG the  ringmaster lost interest and can no longer compete and the show ended years ago. SG will now try to establish a club that is self sustainable and that’s about it. A club fit for the town. 

• Like 2