oneBoro Forum

Lewis wing

Possibly the shambles that was last season didn't help. I also dont think we have identified his best position. I think he's a bit of a luxury player though in a team playing well i think he would probably do well but he's not an "in the trenches" type of footballer and in our current predicament isn't suited. 

• Like 1

I actually think he might have done a job behind the strikers in our 3-4-1-2 against Watford. The problem is you would have had to take off Tav to put him there so overall we might have been less effective as an attacking force. Or maybe we should have a striker off and Tav and Wing behind Britt/Fletch and go 3-4-2-1.

That all being said, I still think our biggest issue in that game was the wingbacks so whilst it might be worth a go going forward, it probably wouldn't have changed a thing on the night.

• Like 1

I think there's a lot going on.

I would imagine his confidence is at an all time low after the shambles of last season, in which he was shoehorned into a role that just does not work with him.

If you let him play as an advanced CM/AM & basically remove as much defensive responsibilities from the guy as possible, you might start seeing his best again. Wing has great vision and a great pass, even if he didn't show it very well last year. 

I have maintained that he would thrive as a number 10 in something like Karankas set up, where he has the two DMs behind him to take care of all the defensive duties. 

The guy runs through treacle and can't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag, so why we keep shoehorning him into a deeper role is beyond me.

I still hope he comes good, I really like him. 

• Like 2

His passing is too inconsistent to ever be a #10 at this level and he doesn't have the physical capabilities to be a box to box so he's stuck inbetween the 2 positions and if he doesn't get the ball near the opposition box consistently he's basically useless. 

I don't know the answer for Wing there's plenty of examples of players in this league who are similar early years Bradley Johnson is the one that I compare him to a little bit selfish at times, can be a passenger or a match winner.

He has a great shot and decent positioning around the box but his passing range and consistency of passing is meh, his dribbling is hampered by how slow he moves and he doesn't have good enough stamina to press. Maybe Warnock figures out a role for him he's known for changing players positions maybe he'll think to try him off a big man as a second striker type.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Wing has great vision and a great pass, even if he didn't show it very well last year. 

I have maintained that he would thrive as a number 10 in something like Karankas set up, where he has the two DMs behind him to take care of all the defensive duties. 

Really don’t see it. He has a knack for scoring which you can’t teach but as for vision and passing (besides maybe a long range ping)  I just don’t see it

I think we all want him to come good but there’s a lot of work to be done. He’s not better than Tav in the 3 as the one pushing on. He’s not good enough to play deeper. I doubt we’re going to change to 4231 or anything anytime soon so I think he’s just gunna have to make do with coming off the bench and hoping to force his way in by scoring goals. 

Let's see what a season under Warnock does for his development, lets face it he's still a newbie in terms of professional football. He needs to get his head down, work hard on his game and force his way into the team. Think bulking up a little may help but at times on the TV he appears lazy 

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I think there's a lot going on.

I would imagine his confidence is at an all time low after the shambles of last season, in which he was shoehorned into a role that just does not work with him.

If you let him play as an advanced CM/AM & basically remove as much defensive responsibilities from the guy as possible, you might start seeing his best again. Wing has great vision and a great pass, even if he didn't show it very well last year. 

The guy runs through treacle and can't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag, so why we keep shoehorning him into a deeper role is beyond me.

I still hope he comes good, I really like him. 

Well said and I concur totally with you.

That one piece of magic is so often needed in a football game

1 hour ago, Tarmo said:

Really don’t see it. He has a knack for scoring which you can’t teach but as for vision and passing (besides maybe a long range ping)  I just don’t see it

I think we all want him to come good but there’s a lot of work to be done. He’s not better than Tav in the 3 as the one pushing on. He’s not good enough to play deeper. I doubt we’re going to change to 4231 or anything anytime soon so I think he’s just gunna have to make do with coming off the bench and hoping to force his way in by scoring goals. 

I think if you go back to the season under Pulis he had you can see that he does have a good pass on him. Also against Shrewsbury he showed some great passing range, including one very cute flick around the corner for someone to run onto into the box. 

I have a bias here because I been a huge Wing fan since he first popped on the scene so I really want him to do well, but I genuinely do believe he has all the talent to be a success, it's just finding a spot & a system that suits him, even if it isn't here.

I think he is an ok player at this level. Dont think he has the ability to do it single handedly so looks pants if he is in a 3 with 2 DCM, no wide players and 2 static strikers as his strengths seem to be punting it from 18+ yards, hitting balls for players in the channels and arriving for the cut backs. Bit like a budget Dele Alli, who has also massively gone off the boil IMO

• Like 1

He might do better in a 3 with Morsy sitting in the team with Tav more advanced. I think he works best when he's got a bit of space to operate in, he can't be the creative focal point of the team as that brings too much defensive attention but can be neat (very rarely gets dispossessed with the ball at his feet) and I think he's quite high energy out of possession. Then every now and again he's just going to smash one top bins.

I'd put him on a similar level to Saville and he's a decent squad player but for me it's Howson's role to lose.