oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bournemouth 1-1 (Browne)

spacer.pngimage.png.71cc89712a712b4386d19bf0ae2c05e3.png

Brace yourselves folks...here we go again!

This weekend the Boro play host to the Mighty Cherries. If you think our season has been rough so far...it ain't about to get any better.

The visitors have won both games so far - a 3-2 home win in the league against Blackburn and an 11-10 win on penalties in the EFL Cup against Crystal Palace (also at home).

This despite losing long-serving manager Eddie Howe and a clutch of players, including striker Callum Wilson, winger Ryan Fraser, defender (and skipper) Simon Francis and midfielder (and vice-captain) Andrew Surman, following their relegation from the PL.

Howe's former assistant (and former player) Jason Tindall is now running the show and has said he doesn't want to dismantle the team and philosophy Howe created. Rather he is happy to tinker and tweak what his former boss built.

In contrast, Boro have lost both their games. The away defeat at Watford wasn't exactly unexpected, though still somewhat disappointing, given the Hornets were missing so many first-choice players and were nowhere near as dominant as expected. Sadly Boro just couldn't up their game enough to break down the well organised home defence.

The home defeat in the EFL Cup against Barnsley (a team that only managed to avoid relegation on the last day of the season) is rather more worrying. On the one hand, its good that we don't have to worry about more cup fixtures. On the other, another lacklustre performance, in which a number of squad players failed to make a case for first team selection, has to be a concern for Neil Warnock.

I'm sure he'll be hoping new signings Grant Hall and Samwise Morsy (I'm coming Master Neil!) can shake off their ring rust and add some potency to a team that is basically lacking in all areas. I wonder if other new boy Marcus Betinelli is already wondering what he's let himself in for, having to play behind our "defence" (I use that term in its loosest possible sense).

Questions

- Does anyone realistically think we can beat the Cherries (and if so, can I please have some of what you're smoking)?

- What would be your team selection and formation for this game?

- How many more signings do we need and in what positions?

- If we fail to strengthen further, do you think Warnock and his coaches can improve what we have?

- Do you think we'll have any more success in the January transfer window?

- Instead of fake crowd noise, should the stadium DJ just play Warrant's Cherry Pie on loop throughout the game?

View From the Other Side

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/middlesbrough-v-afc-bournemouth.12483/

They have a match day thread up, but mostly they seem concerned about getting fans back into the stadium. Not much chat about us yet.

Summary

Like Watford, this is another game I don't expect us to get anything from. Boro were always going to be up against it, playing 2 ex-PL teams in their first 2 fixtures. What I do hope to see is a decent performance. A defence that looks like it knows what its doing, a midfield that at least tries to press, win the ball and set up chances for the strikers...and forwards that don't think they're kicking rugby penalties. Generally just showing the right attitude and some will to win would do for a start.

Prediction: Boro 0 - 2 Bournemouth

We're just going to have to grit our teeth and get through this one. That said, we should be looking to win at least a few of our upcoming fixtures, otherwise alarm bells will start ringing...

• Like 4
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism

In light of Warnock's diagnosis,  I think we have to say we won't be able to fulfill the Bournemouth fixture because of health reasons. We should just cancel the game and fax the paperwork over to the

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about fo

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Just a goal would be nice, honestly. Don't think I'm asking for too much.

Don't worry - I'm sure Bournemouth will get a couple. 😉

Jokes aside, I think I'm correct in thinking they're not that solid defensively (at least as not as good as Watford) so we may get more of a sniff. Still reckon they'll outscore us though.

Tickets are available from 8pm tonight 1,000 only in the West Stand

Tickets are online only you MUST be a Season Card Holder to claim a ticket they're limited to one ticket per Season Card.

The game is ticket only. Season Cards are NOT valid for this game

Edited by northern boro
  • Thanks 2

I have been warned not to get to close to the stadium in case I’m dragged in because apparently the club are looking for 1000 fans to watch the team play, live, live like in real time.. I know finding a 1000 believers is a bit much. 

On a serious note I don’t understand why only 1000 fans because surly the stadium could hold far more in safe conditions, so why is the figure so low. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I have been warned not to get to close to the stadium in case I’m dragged in because apparently the club are looking for 1000 fans to watch the team play, live, live like in real time.. I know finding a 1000 believers is a bit much. 

On a serious note I don’t understand why only 1000 fans because surly the stadium could hold far more in safe conditions, so why is the figure so low. 

my guess would be a small scale trial to see how it goes before going for a larger number....course they may not be let out till the ransoms are paid 

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

my guess would be a small scale trial to see how it goes before going for a larger number....course they may not be let out till the ransoms are paid 

That would be my guess too. A small number of fans just to test the stewarding, seating and whatever other procedures they are trialling...basically to see if they work, highlight any issues or oversights.

I'd guess if this game goes without a hitch they will consider press-ganging letting more fans in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I just hope we can witness a Boro goal especially for the special 1000 fans who are going to be in. Let's put a performance on for them! 

I can't wait til we're 3-0 down and those 1,000 start chanting 'SACKED IN THE MORNING!', it'll really start to feel like everything's getting back to normal.

Even if half of them just walk out at 70 minutes it'd be a bit funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

It’s being trialed by the EFL with the governments permission. 

Just now, sanddancer said:

Wonder how the crowd reacts to the kneeling. Is it still the norm? 

Yeah I think it’s still going on. I can see it being the norm for the season