• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism

In light of Warnock's diagnosis,  I think we have to say we won't be able to fulfill the Bournemouth fixture because of health reasons. We should just cancel the game and fax the paperwork over to the

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about fo

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Wonder how the crowd reacts to the kneeling. Is it still the norm? 

I know what you're doing, and I don't like it. I would strongly suggest you don't go down this path. Your disgusting comment in the other thread didn't go unnoticed but I didn't bring it up as I hoped it was a one-off.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

No luck for me and my old man. Was given number 865 in the queue, so didn’t have high hopes when I saw that haha 

I was 534 and when I got to front , it directed me to site and then I clicked on tickets and got no events ...so I either loused up or missed out...ho hum

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

No luck for me and my old man. Was given number 865 in the queue, so didn’t have high hopes when I saw that haha 

Didn't even see the thing that they were for sale, just assumed that it would be a random selection of season ticket holders.  To be fair I wouldn't have bothered anyway.  For the time being at least we'll make the most of the streams.  Only a 1000 in the ground will be strange but on the plus side the players might be able to hear the abuse that gets hurled their way 👍 Mind, so will the stewards 👎

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, macapes said:

Unless they're racist doyles, can't see why there'd be any reaction.  

My dad keeps saying *** like this to me. "It'll be interesting to see if they still kneel when crowds are back" well yeah, why wouldn't they.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

How would you expect them to react to it?

That’s a very good question. Personally I don’t believe politics or protests should be allowed at public paid events because it raises many issues, one being what qualifies and what doesn’t. The second being the pressure on those in attendance to partake in something they don’t fully comprehend and third it could reduce a person or persons participation in open debate which I believe is crucial if we are to resolve such issues. 

12 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I know what you're doing, and I don't like it. I would strongly suggest you don't go down this path. Your disgusting comment in the other thread didn't go unnoticed but I didn't bring it up as I hoped it was a one-off.

I am no wiser what comment are you referring but I think you are indicating I’m someone I’m not. I will add just to enlighten you, I am in a mixed marriage and have been happily for 38 years. 
However I will refrain from further posting on the issue as I don’t wish to bring dispute to the forum. 

Edited by sanddancer
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

That’s a very good question. Personally I don’t believe politics or protests should be allowed at public paid events because it raises many issues, one being what qualifies and what doesn’t. The second being the pressure on those in attendance to partake in something they don’t fully comprehend and third it could reduce a person or persons participation in open debate which I believe is crucial if we are to resolve such issues. 

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about football. 

I do think though, despite the 'taking a knee' coming from a place of protest and a reasonable protest at that, the way it's executed in English football right now is actually more a sign of solidarity rather than protest. The ref blows the whistle to indicate they take the knee, then does it again to kick off the game. That's not a protest. It is also executed at all levels in every game. This is just another gesture in the long running list of gestures that we see in football, like how we handle the passing of a beloved coach or player, with black armbands and moments of silence or applause.

As for people there not being able to comprehend it, I think it is a pretty clear indication of where football in this country stands on the matter of racism. What's the difference between this taking a knee and seeing Kick It Out banners or announcements in all the mediums that takes form, other than the fact it's happening on the pitch? I would say there's a lot people can learn when these kind of things inject themselves around our pastimes, it's an opportunity to try to teach people of all ages about causes that exist outside of our own bubbles.

As for open debate, well, I guess it depends what you're debating. If you're debating how we solve racism, sure. Debating the existence of systemic racism, less so.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I wonder if this North East lockdown ends this fans back in pilot 🙁

From what I was reading, the suggested lockdown didn't reach as far as Middlesbrough. It would be quite incredible for the government to tell us to do a test run with our game, to then, in less than 24 hours, discuss locking us down. Though governmental incompetence is kind of how we do things.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about football. 

I do think though, despite the 'taking a knee' coming from a place of protest and a reasonable protest at that, the way it's executed in English football right now is actually more a sign of solidarity rather than protest. The ref blows the whistle to indicate they take the knee, then does it again to kick off the game. That's not a protest. It is also executed at all levels in every game. This is just another gesture in the long running list of gestures that we see in football, like how we handle the passing of a beloved coach or player, with black armbands and moments of silence or applause.

As for people there not being able to comprehend it, I think it is a pretty clear indication of where football in this country stands on the matter of racism. What's the difference between this taking a knee and seeing Kick It Out banners or announcements in all the mediums that takes form, other than the fact it's happening on the pitch? I would say there's a lot people can learn when these kind of things inject themselves around our pastimes, it's an opportunity to try to teach people of all ages about causes that exist outside of our own bubbles.

As for open debate, well, I guess it depends what you're debating. If you're debating how we solve racism, sure. Debating the existence of systemic racism, less so.

A well presented, structured and balanced reply that makes good reading and in principle. I agree with you.  
Unfortunately my post provoked a response I had not anticipated and in hindsight its a sensitive subject best not debated, especially on the forum, so I’ll leave it at that and close.  
I apologize for posting on the subject. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

From what I was reading, the suggested lockdown didn't reach as far as Middlesbrough. It would be quite incredible for the government to tell us to do a test run with our game, to then, in less than 24 hours, discuss locking us down. Though governmental incompetence is kind of how we do things.

I assume it might affect fans coming from other areas such as County Durham. 

I personally think that anything that highlights the need to stamp out racism and bigotry in all its forms is a good thing and shouldn't really be questioned, but each to their own I guess. There are still a lot of ignorant people out there who need educating, sadly.

It disgusts me that people think it's okay to attack Lewis Hamilton for wearing T-shirts with anti-racism messages and taking the knee at F1 events.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1