oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bournemouth 1-1 (Browne)

11 hours ago, sanddancer said:

That’s a very good question. Personally I don’t believe politics or protests should be allowed at public paid events because it raises many issues, one being what qualifies and what doesn’t. The second being the pressure on those in attendance to partake in something they don’t fully comprehend and third it could reduce a person or persons participation in open debate which I believe is crucial if we are to resolve such issues. 

To the best of my knowledge there has never been (and never will be) any pressure on crowds to join in.

As far as I'm concerned its a purely personal choice - do it or don't. Its up to you and your personal beliefs.

Personally I think its pointless and a waste of time, as gestures alone never changed anything. Even changing laws only goes so far. Sadly you'll never be able to change how people think...unless we end up in some Orwellian dystopian future where the government carries out brainwashing.

Also, this particular protest was sparked by police brutality and the murder of a number of black people in the USA. There are definitely some parallels with British police, though not nearly to the same extent. In any case, until and unless there is some serious root and branch reform, to identify and stamp out racist attitudes and behaviour in the police, these sort of tragedies are likely to continue.

So I would agree that these sort of displays at sporting events serve no purpose. They may keep issues in the public consciousness, but do nothing to actually resolve them.

I mean, how many fans are likely to get back home from a match and think, "Right, I'm starting a campaign for police reform"?

Same as if I went to a concert - I don't want to listen to the band's lead singer going on about the environment, racism or whatever (unless its a gig specifically put on to benefit said cause). I just want to hear the music.

• Like 1
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism

In light of Warnock's diagnosis,  I think we have to say we won't be able to fulfill the Bournemouth fixture because of health reasons. We should just cancel the game and fax the paperwork over to the

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about fo

Posted Images

Looks like Jepson & Blackwell will be in charge again with Warnock now testing positive for COVID-19. Warnock won’t even be allowed to be at the game come Saturday so I wonder if they will be keeping in touch by phone or whether he hands the reigns to them for this one.

• Wow 1
11 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

Looks like Jepson & Blackwell will be in charge again with Warnock now testing positive for COVID-19. Warnock won’t even be allowed to be at the game come Saturday so I wonder if they will be keeping in touch by phone or whether he hands the reigns to them for this one.

Oh no, that’s not great at his age, I hope he gets well soon. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

Now I have visions of them arranging a conference call on MS Teams or something and Jepson holding up a phone so Warnock can see whats happening on the pitch. 😁

They'll probably be in contact with him, letting him know whats happening so he can at least advise them what to do.

12 hours ago, sanddancer said:

That’s a very good question. Personally I don’t believe politics or protests should be allowed at public paid events because it raises many issues, one being what qualifies and what doesn’t. The second being the pressure on those in attendance to partake in something they don’t fully comprehend and third it could reduce a person or persons participation in open debate which I believe is crucial if we are to resolve such issues. 

Players arent supposed to be allowed to make political statements or have messages under their shirts so I kinda get what youre saying. But I think we should go the other way and allow those things rather than ban kneeling with them. After all, racism is a problem for the whole society; theres not racism in football theres racism in people. Racism is not political, its human indecency. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Sadly you'll never be able to change how people think...unless we end up in some Orwellian dystopian future where the government carries out brainwashing.

Rupert Murdoch disagrees.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

Confirmed? This why he wasnt on the touchline Tues? Any risk to this being called off we think?

3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Oh no, that’s not great at his age, I hope he gets well soon. 

Well he's only tested positive so far.

May take a few days for any symptoms to manifest themselves, if at all.

But you're right - he is in the "danger" age bracket. Got my fingers crossed he doesn't get too ill, or end up needing hospital treatment.

6 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

Confirmed? This why he wasnt on the touchline Tues? Any risk to this being called off we think?

I wouldn't have thought so. Its quite normal for assistants to take charge if the manager can't for any reason.

Given Warnock will have to isolate for at least a week...maybe two...I don't see the EFL allowing us to postpone matches until he can come back. 

Assuming we don't also end up with a number of players testing positive.

2 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

Yeah the official Boro site has released a statement. I’m assuming all the players will need to be tested ASAP. 

I know his staff has already tested negative so hopefully player tests were all done at the same time.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We do have a spare manager still on the books, the kind of guy that likes to play pressing attacking football. 👀

Maybe he's intentionally exposed NW to the virus to get back in the dugout.

#coachingconspiracy

• Haha 3

This news does not bode well from Warnock or the club and I wish him well.  

The question is how far spread is it and what is the risk in playing the game. I think there may be a case of calling it off, I hope so because it will give us more time to see out transfers, if any. 

Does a club have a curse. Just to eliminate the possibility I think the stadium should be dismantled and moved somewhere else, scenic that might attract good players as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2