• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism

In light of Warnock's diagnosis,  I think we have to say we won't be able to fulfill the Bournemouth fixture because of health reasons. We should just cancel the game and fax the paperwork over to the

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about fo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I personally think that anything that highlights the need to stamp out racism and bigotry in all its forms is a good thing and shouldn't really be questioned, but each to their own I guess. There are still a lot of ignorant people out there who need educating, sadly.

It disgusts me that people think it's okay to attack Lewis Hamilton for wearing T-shirts with anti-racism messages and taking the knee at F1 events.

That’s the issue. Certain aspects of a lot of movements not just BLM have created a environment to ask why or question some of the actions are immediately shut down and labelled racist, bigotry etc. 
**** it. I’ll put it out there.
BLM I agree 100% with the message but nowhere near of the whole organisation 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

This news does not bode well from Warnock or the club and I wish him well.  

The question is how far spread is it and what is the risk in playing the game. I think there may be a case of calling it off, I hope so because it will give us more time to see out transfers, if any. 

Does a club have a curse. Just to eliminate the possibility I think the stadium should be dismantled and moved somewhere else, scenic that might attract good players as well. 

Great idea!

I also believe the stadium is jinxed.

Reckon we could find a nice site just outside Guisborough, with a great view of the North Yorkshire Moors. 😉

Edited by AnglianRed
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I personally think that anything that highlights the need to stamp out racism and bigotry in all its forms is a good thing and shouldn't really be questioned, but each to their own I guess. There are still a lot of ignorant people out there who need educating, sadly.

It disgusts me that people think it's okay to attack Lewis Hamilton for wearing T-shirts with anti-racism messages and taking the knee at F1 events.

Well the question is whether its actually having any effect or not. As I said in another post, its undoubtedly keeping the issue in the public consciousness...but is it actually going to cause any significant changes? I would say not.

Some of those doing the attacking may just be people who don't want to have to think about socio-political issues when they attend or watch sporting events for entertainment. Some are undoubtedly trolls who just like being offensive...and some will actually be people with racist attitudes.

Gestures are all well and good, but little will actually change until people's attitudes change. Getting police behaviour / procedures to change will be hard enough. Getting rid of racism in society as a whole I think will sadly prove impossible.

Also, as an F1 fan it does sadden me the amount of hate Lewis Hamilton gets on pretty much every forum I visit. Its always a minority, but they're always there and some of the crap they come out with is disgusting.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brick_Tamland said:

In light of Warnock's diagnosis,  I think we have to say we won't be able to fulfill the Bournemouth fixture because of health reasons. We should just cancel the game and fax the paperwork over to the EFL later. I can't see any problems with this approach.

creeped out oh no GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well the question is whether its actually having any effect or not. As I said in another post, its undoubtedly keeping the issue in the public consciousness...but is it actually going to cause any significant changes? I would say not.

Some of those doing the attacking may just be people who don't want to have to think about socio-political issues when they attend or watch sporting events for entertainment. Some are undoubtedly trolls who just like being offensive...and some will actually be people with racist attitudes.

Gestures are all well and good, but little will actually change until people's attitudes change. Getting police behaviour / procedures to change will be hard enough. Getting rid of racism in society as a whole I think will sadly prove impossible.

Also, as an F1 fan it does sadden me the amount of hate Lewis Hamilton gets on pretty much every forum I visit. Its always a minority, but they're always there and some of the crap they come out with is disgusting.

I think one of the problems is the left right divide that seems to be projected onto so many issues, even though they should be apolitical. A lot of it is down to tribalism which is particularly strong on social media. 

BLM = a left wing ideology

Care about the environment = loony lefty

Don’t believe in Covid or masks = right wing

None of the above are political matters, but they have been hijacked by extremists. 

• Like 5

Racism is just the symptoms of fear ... Eliminate fear and poverty, and symptoms like racism will dissappear too!
Eliminate the root of the problem, that is .. 

Back to football!

IF the game is not postponed, I would like to see this team:

Bettinelli
        Dijksteel, Hall, McNair
Howson, Morsy, Saville, Johnson
                      Tavernier
               Brittass, Fletcher

Howson did "ok" at right wingback last season and Spence need a break to man up; he has been awfull lately.

Bench : Fry, Spence, Coulson, Folarin, Brynn, Browne, Wing

• Like 3
3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Great idea!

I also believe the stadium is jinxed.

Reckon we could find a nice site just outside Guisborough, with a great view of the North Yorkshire Moors. 😉

I do like Guisborough but I also like a lot of places we are blessed with including the seaside coves, villages, moors and valleys. We have so much to offer one can find new places of interest on every trip and the food is as diverse as the people. 
Proud to be a Northerner ❤️

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism and it has continued throughout thousands of years where anyone or anything that looks or sounds different or in reality we don't understand. Usually fear is the driver, fear of not having enough food or water, fear that something would be taken from us, fear that we would be killed or abused, fear that we wouldn't have a job, fear that someone or something else would upset what we had. Fear develops and grows out of ignorance, it evolves into a dislike even irrational hatred. Tribalism thrives in football and feeds our deep neanderthal desire to belong to and to triumph or ridicule "them". Many Boro fans who were at Goodison Park in the 70's will have the scars of twin bladed Stanley knife inflicted Football Tribalism.

Last week I read about a Wall Street Bank making the news because it appointed the first Female CEO in Wall Street's history! This is 2020 and to read that shocked but not surprised me, sexism is alive and well it seems (as the BBC are continually being hung out to dry for) and still exists in many organisations and walks of life. Catholics and Protestants in Glasgow or Ulster, all supposedly Christians. Sunni and Shia killing each other yet are both Muslim. Steelworkers and Miners battering the bejasus out of each other on Teesside less than a 100 years ago because of their place of origin. We have Football World Cup Stadia being built by slaves without civil liberties who are literally punished and abused, many lose their life for the privilege of us, yes thats you and me, football fans!

Pogroms have been eradicated but in certain parts of Europe the underlying mood hasn't changed all that much sadly. Our own general election was stained by allegations of antisemitism at one party with the irony of the accuser being allegedly anti Islam. I have spent a lot of time in the "deep south" and have friends who outwardly are the nicest most God fearing people you could meet but a few drinks later and you can sense the bigotry and hatred that has been inbred over generations. I just know they will have KKK hoods stored away at the back of the wardrobe for the fourth rising.

This Country is one of the worst for Classism, it wasn't that long ago that nothing but a BBC accent was acceptable to progress in the higher echelons of society. Our Fathers and Fathers before them knew their place and submissively doffed their cap or bravely marched from Jarrow or had their brains caved in by truncheons for trying to save their communities and jobs just a few decades ago. Now we have marches because of "phobias" where people feel compelled to protest to stop abuse just because of their orientation. How many Football fans at the Riverside have jeered abuse at certain footballers for their perceived "preferences" for a bit of a laugh? TV programmes that we once laughed at are no longer funny be they Love thy Neighbour, Alf Garnet or Benny Hill. 

All of us have experiences, likes and dislikes, phobias, fears and loves that shape who we have become and how we think or react to situations. People in Warrington or Brighton may have a dislike for people from the Emerald Isle, does that make them an outright racist or is it because they have personally suffered a tragic loss. Many who suffered at the Manchester arena have been magnanimous in their defiance of hate and evil but there are others who hold a different view because of the pain that doesn't and will never go away.

I'm sure we would like to think of ourselves as being pure and accepting of everything and everyone which is a great place to be but as soon as someone mentions Religion, Brexit or Corbyn, Rangers or Celtic and our deepest "ism's" come bubbling to the fore. Ageism, sexism, racism, classism, able-ism, homophobia exists in all of us even if its just a casual one off "silly old git" when someone pulls out in front of us in rush hour traffic. Maybe we all need to be more accepting, just think a little harder and deeper and change ourselves, discrimination in all its forms has no place in society but its only us who can change that in all its forms.

• Like 9