oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bournemouth 1-1 (Browne)

2 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Having a hard time, that Someone gets attention for a long and wellwritten post, mate? 🙃

🙂

No, I just thought it was boring.  My long posts tend to be about Boro and football in fairness.  I'm nice now so I thought that was a better response than other things I could have said 👍

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism

In light of Warnock's diagnosis,  I think we have to say we won't be able to fulfill the Bournemouth fixture because of health reasons. We should just cancel the game and fax the paperwork over to the

How about the poppy being on the England shirts? I don't agree that it shouldn't be allowed because quite frankly, I just don't see how gestures like this are the only thing that is political about fo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Sadly the history of mankind is littered with "ism's" of many types. Wars have been started over them and millions of lives lost because of it. Since the days we lived in caves we developed tribalism and it has continued throughout thousands of years where anyone or anything that looks or sounds different or in reality we don't understand. Usually fear is the driver, fear of not having enough food or water, fear that something would be taken from us, fear that we would be killed or abused, fear that we wouldn't have a job, fear that someone or something else would upset what we had. Fear develops and grows out of ignorance, it evolves into a dislike even irrational hatred. Tribalism thrives in football and feeds our deep neanderthal desire to belong to and to triumph or ridicule "them". Many Boro fans who were at Goodison Park in the 70's will have the scars of twin bladed Stanley knife inflicted Football Tribalism.

Last week I read about a Wall Street Bank making the news because it appointed the first Female CEO in Wall Street's history! This is 2020 and to read that shocked but not surprised me, sexism is alive and well it seems (as the BBC are continually being hung out to dry for) and still exists in many organisations and walks of life. Catholics and Protestants in Glasgow or Ulster, all supposedly Christians. Sunni and Shia killing each other yet are both Muslim. Steelworkers and Miners battering the bejasus out of each other on Teesside less than a 100 years ago because of their place of origin. We have Football World Cup Stadia being built by slaves without civil liberties who are literally punished and abused, many lose their life for the privilege of us, yes thats you and me, football fans!

Pogroms have been eradicated but in certain parts of Europe the underlying mood hasn't changed all that much sadly. Our own general election was stained by allegations of antisemitism at one party with the irony of the accuser being allegedly anti Islam. I have spent a lot of time in the "deep south" and have friends who outwardly are the nicest most God fearing people you could meet but a few drinks later and you can sense the bigotry and hatred that has been inbred over generations. I just know they will have KKK hoods stored away at the back of the wardrobe for the fourth rising.

This Country is one of the worst for Classism, it wasn't that long ago that nothing but a BBC accent was acceptable to progress in the higher echelons of society. Our Fathers and Fathers before them knew their place and submissively doffed their cap or bravely marched from Jarrow or had their brains caved in by truncheons for trying to save their communities and jobs just a few decades ago. Now we have marches because of "phobias" where people feel compelled to protest to stop abuse just because of their orientation. How many Football fans at the Riverside have jeered abuse at certain footballers for their perceived "preferences" for a bit of a laugh? TV programmes that we once laughed at are no longer funny be they Love thy Neighbour, Alf Garnet or Benny Hill. 

All of us have experiences, likes and dislikes, phobias, fears and loves that shape who we have become and how we think or react to situations. People in Warrington or Brighton may have a dislike for people from the Emerald Isle, does that make them an outright racist or is it because they have personally suffered a tragic loss. Many who suffered at the Manchester arena have been magnanimous in their defiance of hate and evil but there are others who hold a different view because of the pain that doesn't and will never go away.

I'm sure we would like to think of ourselves as being pure and accepting of everything and everyone which is a great place to be but as soon as someone mentions Religion, Brexit or Corbyn, Rangers or Celtic and our deepest "ism's" come bubbling to the fore. Ageism, sexism, racism, classism, able-ism, homophobia exists in all of us even if its just a casual one off "silly old git" when someone pulls out in front of us in rush hour traffic. Maybe we all need to be more accepting, just think a little harder and deeper and change ourselves, discrimination in all its forms has no place in society but its only us who can change that in all its forms.

That’s a very interesting post, it will take more than education to change some people’s beliefs, the tribalism that exists these days is very worrying. It seems that many people make up their mind about something and once they have, there are never any shades of grey. 

How can every action of one party or politician always be right?
It can’t, people need to make judgements based on their own experiences, morals and intelligence rather than following a party line the whole time. 

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

🙂

No, I just thought it was boring.  My long posts tend to be about Boro and football in fairness.  I'm nice now so I thought that was a better response than other things I could have said 👍

Hmmm.  So why read it? There was always the option to skip it. And also an option not to comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/16/2020 at 3:04 PM, AnglianRed said:

- Does anyone realistically think we can beat the Cherries (and if so, can I please have some of what you're smoking)?

- What would be your team selection and formation for this game?

- How many more signings do we need and in what positions?

- If we fail to strengthen further, do you think Warnock and his coaches can improve what we have?

- Do you think we'll have any more success in the January transfer window?

- Instead of fake crowd noise, should the stadium DJ just play Warrant's Cherry Pie on loop throughout the game?

No.

--------------------------Bettinelli

--------------------Wood - Fry - Hall

Dijksteel - Howson - Morsy - Tavernier - Coulson

-----------------Fletcher - Assombalonga

LCB and CF, and ideally 2 pacy wingers but I can't see him getting any.

I think we will be safer from relegation than last season, but I don't think it will be a classic.

No.

I have no idea what that song is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

Hmmm.  So why read it? There was always the option to skip it. And also an option not to comment.

I was reading the match day thread looking to read what was being said about the match.  None of that was about the match as far as I can see.  How do you know which posts to skip without reading them first? 

I thought the posts were boring so I said so.  People have no problem at all commenting on my posts in a similar or stronger manner, so why can't I do the same?  SmogDane mentioned that one specific post, my boring comment was to all of them though, not just that one.

There's a chat thread for stuff like that and sorry but yeah I thought it was boring and had no place on the thread.

• Like 1

Just in case no-one else has heard, I was listening to TalkSport this afternoon and they said the game will be going ahead (for what that's worth).

@Redcar Rioja Fantastic post that rather nicely underlines my reservations about BLM (and Extinction Rebellion and pretty much all other protests, movements etc.) However worthy the cause, real change only tends to come about if there is a driving political or economic imperative, or unless there is an overwhelming change in societal values.

While things are undoubtedly better than they were 30, 40 or 50 years ago, there is still a lot that needs to be done. I think we're a lot more aware (or "woke") as a nation. I'm just not sure we're ready to act in a meaningful way on a large enough scale.

@Tobermory you  must be one of those millennial whippersnappers that missed the 80s hair metal era. 😉Allow me to enlighten you:

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
53 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Stoj

Djiksteel Fry McNair

Spence Wing Morsy Tav Coulson 

Fletcher Britt

But of pace, creativity and some people who aren't scared to shoot or pass forward.

Think Stoj is the one with Covid tbh.