oneBoro Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OldManGravz

Ads

Anybody having an issue with ads at the moment? They have taken me out of a thread mid-read and redirected me to a different page about three times now.

One for Royal Mail and 2x to win a new phone, if that helps.

On chrome on mobile

8 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Anybody having an issue with ads at the moment? They have taken me out of a thread mid-read and redirected me to a different page about three times now.

On chrome on mobile

Its getting unbearable again.. seems to come in waves!

Yes, I've had that too. Last weekend, the OB site kept redirecting me to a page about my mobile provider offering me a free handset. Didn't happen on any other websites - I use Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy.

Me too. Customer of O2 you have won a phone. Not when I am on wifi though.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with the adverts, if this happens for you again could you please take a screenshot and DM it to me and I can pass these on to the ad company to block.

We don’t allow any adverts that redirect you, so if it ever happens again please screenshot and let me know 👍

• Like 2

Ads are today’s digital mosquito, bloody annoying and there is little you can do about them especially on the Ipad. 
it matters not if you apply ads blockers, clean history deleting  cache etc they just keep coming back. I do my rounds of papers to get a balanced view on the news and stopped reading the Daily Mail it’s plagued with the blood suckers. Evening Gazette is the same...  

Any suggestion and I’m all ears. 

3 hours ago, OldManGravz said:

On chrome on mobile

Yes, absolutely horrendous on my mobile. Its redirecting me to sites that look like they would cause a virus if I opened them. 

The site is becoming almost unusable for me. 

Yep, loads of redirects recently, all to scammy 'you have won' nonsense. 

As mentioned, please message me with a screenshot of this happening and I can get the ad network to investigate and block these. Otherwise, we can’t action anything until we have a better idea of offending URL’s and adverts

22 minutes ago, oneboro said:

As mentioned, please message me with a screenshot of this happening and I can get the ad network to investigate and block these. Otherwise, we can’t action anything until we have a better idea of offending URL’s and adverts

Screenshot_20200918-094208_Chrome.jpg

16 hours ago, OldManGravz said:

On chrome on mobile

I'd advise you to get the Opera browser. It has ad-blocker switched on by default. Also comes with a VPN system that is useful for viewing "unofficial" streams. 😉

I don't mind viewing ads on my PC - big enough screen to navigate accurately. But I agree they're a bloody nuisance on a phone.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'd advise you to get the Opera browser. It has ad-blocker switched on by default. Also comes with a VPN system that is useful for viewing "unofficial" streams. 😉

I don't mind viewing ads on my PC - big enough screen to navigate accurately. But I agree they're a bloody nuisance on a phone.

Seconding Opera - I use it on my phone/tablet and desktop computer and it's great. The in-built VPN can have connection issues at times and you can't select specific locations, but it's completely free so you can't complain.

• Like 1

Another vote for Opera, I have been using it for years without issues. As DZ said above it has an ad blocker built in. The free VPN does occasionally have a hiccup but if you just turn it off it works fine until the VPN is back up and running again. 

There are a few sites which ask you to disable it or block your access but very few. I have no problems with ads per se but many web pages now are simply inaccessible because of being bombarded with unwanted ads continually popping up in the middle of the article. Ads at the top or down the side that don't interfere are fine with me and I don't object or have a problem with but there are now a growing number of sites which I no longer visit even with an ad blocker. For me Opera solves a lot of issues.