oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough have made real progress

If progress is 2 points from 9 available then I can’t imagine what a few wins might be declared. The only good thing to date is signing NW because without I’m sure we would be bottom three. Under NW I predicted mid table or better but not playoffs now without the signings I’ve adjusted to mid bottom. 
Its pretty quite because expectations have been lowered to were a point is grateful and we can all get excited about getting into the opposition box. One thing has not changed is defense especially at set pieces.  
The EG and EP have always had low expectations so no surprise really. 

59 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Warnock took charge of six games last season with last season's squad of players. 

From those six games we took 12 points.

Then during the summer he lost eleven first teamers and has only been allowed to recruit four as it stands.

With this season's squad we have taken 2 points from our opening three games. Even if we win our next three games we will still have taken less points than the six from last season.

If you call that real progress then you are part of the problem.

Shotton, Ayala, Moukoudi and Friend - a loss, one replaced

Gestede + Nmecha - no loss and replaced 

Roberts - a loss, not yet replaced

Clayton - no loss, still replaced

Morrison - no loss, doesn't even need replacing

We got 6 points from the first 6 games last season (1 from the first 3), we are currently on 2 points from 3 games, if we win our next 3 games then we are 5 points ahead of where we were last season.

I don't think there has yet been real progress, but I don't think we've regressed at all.

Even if we only sign 1 centre back, I think we've got a better squad than what we started last season with, with the exception of the goalkeeper.

Edited by TeaCider24
28 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

We got 6 points from the first 6 games last season (1 from the first 3), we are currently on 2 points from 3 games, if we win our next 3 games then we are 5 points ahead of where we were last season.

I don't think there has yet been real progress, but I don't think we've regressed at all.

Even if we only sign 1 centre back, I think we've got a better squad than what we started last season with, with the exception of the goalkeeper.

Ah so you agree with me 😂

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

If we win the next three games?  Teacider I’ll have the same as your having please... 

I'm happy we have NW in charge and it’s far to early to judge how we will progress but I’m not one who supports, we have moved forward or improved but I admit to being more optimistic. 

25 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

If we win the next three games?  Teacider I’ll have the same as your having please... 

I'm not saying we will, it was in response to the OP saying we'd still have taken less points than last season's 6 games if we won the next 3.

But I now realise he's probably referring to Warnock's first 6 games, in which case we'd only be 2 points better off.

18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I thought we had 8 games under Warnock.  Which two aren't we counting?  I'll suggest the games against Cardiff and Bristol City.

They are the ones he’s not counting I’d say because he said we won 4 out of 6. We definitely had 8 games under Warnock at the end of last season 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't mind not counting them as they weren't the best games to be fair 👍

Maybe if we don’t count any of the losses we had a great season? Woodgate was bloody brilliant wasn’t he? All wins out of his 4 games. Can’t believe he was sacked 😃

44 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I thought we had 8 games under Warnock.  Which two aren't we counting?  I'll suggest the games against Cardiff and Bristol City.

I think he is referring to our first 6 games of the 19/20 season, rather than games under Warnock. Think they are comparing our season start from 19/20 to this season 20/21.

I just totted up the last 6 games of the season as form guides are usually 6 games long. Apologies if it's not worked out right. Either way, we were averaging more than two points for every three games played so it's a moot point.

WE HAVE NOT MADE REAL PROGRESS

😂

Its hard to say whether we have made progress at the moment. Given that 18months ago we were challenging promotion and 3 months ago challenging relegation. For me last season makes progress hard to gage as a more experienced manager would surely have had us higher up possibly challenging the play offs. On the other hand we had a few players arguably past their prime. 

I dont think mid table would be a sign of progression as I do feel it was probably the level our squad should have been at last year. I think when we are competing for the play offs again would be a sign we are progressing. 

38 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

I just totted up the last 6 games of the season as form guides are usually 6 games long. Apologies if it's not worked out right. Either way, we were averaging more than two points for every three games played so it's a moot point.

WE HAVE NOT MADE REAL PROGRESS

😂

Yeah I get you now.  Six games or eight games it's the same either way, as we won and lost in his first two games, and then won three and lost three in the remaining games.  I suppose if you compare us now to the worst we saw under Woodgate then you could say there has been progress, but that's a pretty low bar to set.  We do look more organised to be fair, but until we start winning some games, then talking about progress doesn't make much sense to me.  Win some games, look like a better team and you have progress.  I don't think we have seen that so far.