oneBoro Forum

Boro v Barnsley 2-1 (Howson, Akpom)

Can the Dael Fry haters please admit today that he was absolutely outstanding?

Solid as rock, positional play excellent and even played it nicely out of the back.

Tavernier didn't put a foot wrong but still don't like how we are playing with square pegs in round holes. Against better sides, we will get found out.(Granted Dijksteel did well at CB once again) but I just want to see a balanced team.

Bettenelli

Hall Fry Mcnair

Dijksteel.                    Bola/Johnson/Coulson

Has a lot more solid and balanced look to the spine.

Saville brilliant once again.

TBH The whole team were really good today but let's not forget it's one performance against a team that will be battling relegation once again.

I really hope Akpom and Britt can forge a good partnership. Very early days so can only grow and develop but I just hope they are not too similar players.

Buzzing with the news regarding Roberts. He will add about 10pts + over the course of the season with his assists, goals and unlocking defences.

UTB!

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had to change my picture after looking through today's match gallery. I knew George would have to go at some point but never did I expect to see such a happy face in a Middlesbrough shirt for Marc Bol

If Akpom wasn't offside for the deflected shot and if he'd have put that one-on-one away from the mistake, that could have been one of the biggest *** house hat-tricks of all time.

We've been crying out for a dynamic formation for years... This reading is more exciting to me than SmogDane's browser history!

Posted Images

1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

Solid as rock, positional play excellent and even played it nicely out of the back.

Tavernier didn't put a foot wrong but still don't like how we are playing with square pegs in round holes. Against better sides, we will get found out.(Granted Dijksteel did well at CB once again) but I just want to see a balanced team.

Bettenelli

Hall Fry Mcnair

TBH The whole team were really good today but let's not forget it's one performance against a team that will be battling relegation once again.

I really hope Akpom and Britt can forge a good partnership. Very early days so can only grow and develop but I just hope they are not too similar players.

Buzzing with the news regarding Roberts. He will add about 10pts + over the course of the season with his assists, goals and unlocking defences.

UTB!

He was. Played well when he came on last week too. Please keep him away from the left where he looks awkward

Really happy with the result, very good to get 3 points at home and thought we looked strong and in control at periods.

Only thing that annoyed me a little (other than poor throw-ins as per normal) is that not a single time did we play it out from the back even when it was easier for the keeper to simply play the pass back out to a waiting defender who had posited himself to receive the ball. I know it’s not Warnock style but not to do it a single time seemed poor at times. I think if we chose to do that at a couple of points it helps us keep control in defence for a bit of time and builds our possession. 

Overall happy with steady progress. 

9 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Another outstanding refereeing performance must have won his ref's badge out of a crisp packet. 

Pringles I think... Once he popped that yellow card, he just couldn't stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

As his biggest critic Fry looks a completely different player in the middle instead of on the left. Hopefully he can keep it up.

McNair and Dijksteel were both outstanding.

Fingers crossed Britt can get a goal because he's putting in a proper shift every week.

2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Proper love Akpom already me like

2 in 2 is hard to argue with. Other than his goals he hasn't offered much else though and the sitter he missed in the 1st half should be bread and butter.

I just hope we play to his strengths rather than lumping the ball up to him like we have done the past 2 games.

13 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Bettenelli

Hall Fry Mcnair

UTB!

He did look solid I totally agree, but he was played central where I think it suits his stlye more than playing on the left side of the three. He looks much more comfortable having two good ball playing defenders next to him. 

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

2 in 2 is hard to argue with. Other than his goals he hasn't offered much else though and the sitter he missed in the 1st half should be bread and butter.

I just hope we play to his strengths rather than lumping the ball up to him like we have done the past 2 games.

He could/should of had two in the last match and could of had a hattrick today. I've been impressed with him so far. 

37 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Bettenelli

Hall Fry Mcnair

UTB!

He was back playing in a more natural position for him though. Dael Fry was incredible today; but it's when he's on the left that he starts to struggle for some reason.

If he can stay central, we'll see a great season out of him IMO.

16 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Been working all day, too tired to really look... Please help. 😅

How was Bola? What were the main positives and negatives?

Very happy to have 3 points.

Honestly I'd say there weren't many negatives - if I had to say, probably a cross or two where he hit the first man & one corner gave away where he possibly could have shepherded the ball out of play.

He got forward well though; played a couple of really nice balls in, actually took on his man a couple of times too. Was defensively sound for 99% of the game.

I'd keep him in the team for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He was back playing in a more natural position for him though. Dael Fry was incredible today; but it's when he's on the left that he starts to struggle for some reason.

If he can stay central, we'll see a great season out of him IMO.

When he plays on the left he's asked to play as ball playing defender and that is obviously something that doesn't suit his game, but even on the left hand side of defence I still think defensively he is solid. Fans seem to judge on him because of his coming out of defence which is unfair.