oneBoro Forum

Boro v Barnsley 2-1 (Howson, Akpom)

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

When he plays on the left he's asked to play as ball playing defender and that is obviously something that doesn't suit his game, but even on the left hand side of defence I still think defensively he is solid. Fans seem to judge on him because of his coming out of defence which is unfair. 

Nope, I judge him because he makes mistake after mistake after mistake back there, has nothing to do with his ball playing, which is fine, by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had to change my picture after looking through today's match gallery. I knew George would have to go at some point but never did I expect to see such a happy face in a Middlesbrough shirt for Marc Bol

If Akpom wasn't offside for the deflected shot and if he'd have put that one-on-one away from the mistake, that could have been one of the biggest *** house hat-tricks of all time.

We've been crying out for a dynamic formation for years... This reading is more exciting to me than SmogDane's browser history!

Posted Images

Warnock said he got dressing room to give Fry a standing ovation as he thought he was excellent. Said he looked great with Dijksteel and Paddy able to get beyond him when he needed. So hopefully that means Fry stays central

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Warnock said he got dressing room to give Fry a standing ovation as he thought he was excellent. Said he looked great with Dijksteel and Paddy able to get beyond him when he needed. So hopefully that means Fry stays central

So was it 4 at the back? Or a back 3 of Dijksteel, Fry, McNair?

7 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

It’s 3 but McAir definitely encouraged to carry the ball into midfield while Fry sits in? Worked really well I thought - the 3 were all excellent 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

It’s 3 but McAir definitely encouraged to carry the ball into midfield while Fry sits in? Worked really well I thought - the 3 were all excellent 

Both McNair and Dijksteel are allowed to carry the ball forward. Think the only mistake from any of them today was Dijksteel before the penalty, otherwise they were all pretty much perfect all game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

It kind of floated between the two throughout the game. On paper, the formation was wing-backs with Bola and Tav on either side. But Tav wasn't much needed further back throughout the game and Dijksteel was still the one coming out and taking all the throw-ins on the right-hand side.

Here are the heat-maps comparing Bola-Dijksteel and Bola-Tav to sort of give you the idea.

Bola and Dijksteel

boladijksteel.PNG.06f9acc305d3f1a1a21a12e05a0f228a.PNG

Bola and Tav

bolatav.PNG.0d3a5cb88ead390320241b5ce251c214.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It kind of floated between the two throughout the game. On paper, the formation was wing-backs with Bola and Tav on either side. But Tav wasn't much needed further back throughout the game and Dijksteel was still the one coming out and taking all the throw-ins on the right-hand side.

Here are the heat-maps comparing Bola-Dijksteel and Bola-Tav to sort of give you the idea.

Bola and Dijksteel

boladijksteel.PNG.06f9acc305d3f1a1a21a12e05a0f228a.PNG

Bola and Tav

bolatav.PNG.0d3a5cb88ead390320241b5ce251c214.PNG

Just to drill down further, they've also got a section that maps all the touches and averages it out to an average position.

Screenshot_20201003-220554_Chrome.jpg.e55e0a65ab5cca3c45b934f243e87001.jpg

I said it during the game, but when we were in possession it definitely looked like a back 4, with Bola having more license to push up. The heat maps plus the average positions seem to indicate that too. At times out of possession Tav would drop into the right wing-back slot, but at times he also stayed further up the pitch.

• Like 4

It looks good on paper and was effective today, but we definitely need more quality to translate to consistent results and make it a bit easier on the eye, because today was still ugly. I think having tav and roberts in the same team would be a huge boost in that sense though.

I still think a 3 of saville, howson and morsey is hoping to really struggle against the better or even average teams in this league. Drop one for roberts and I think it would transform our attacking threat.

6 hours ago, sanddancer said:

That’s 5 points from 12 on offer not exactly upper league stats but it’s early days, as to say and with Roberts incoming, NW back in his seat and a bit of unity I could buy into that.. 

I am not gonna get carried away but 2 of the 4 were relegated teams and qpr were on playoff form since the restart last season so not easy fixtures. Theres always 3-4 teams that are above the rest in the league and 6-7 that could get relegated but everyone else has an outside playoff shot I think we could be in that bracket if the improvements keep coming slowly through under Warnock. 

• Like 1

Always nice to bask in the glow the day after a victory. I thought we played well and think that we are showing under Warnock that our intent will be to impose our game on the opposition, not the other way around. I think Morsy has improved us dramatically and will be an important player this season. I think we will be battling it out at the top end of the table UTB 

• Like 2

I hate to be a downer but I really don't think we were impressive at all yesterday. We won the game from a set piece and some very suspect goalkeeping but, yet again, did not create chances consistently at all, against a very poor Barnsley side.

We still default to hammering the ball up field almost every time. Bettinelli in particular was very guilty of this. Every time he got the ball he basically kicked it back to their keeper.

The wing-backs didn't get involved enough, and for the first 45 especially we had zero width whatsoever. This 3-5-2 just doesn't work for us. I find it very, very difficult to watch.

Buzzing to get Roberts back but think he's utterly wasted playing behind the strikers, with no space to run into, and the ball soaring over his head every time.

Think we are going to be comfortably 16-13th ish come end of the season.