oneBoro Forum
Uwe

Boro v Barnsley 2-1 (Howson, Akpom)

12 hours ago, Blanco said:

Wow never had you down as a posh one Barnaby 😱

Converted by Ferret

12 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Don't the gentlemen from the North say "Scoon"...sure I remember someone mentioning a "Stone of Destiny" that was used for their Coronations

Its a scon, always has been, always will be cut in half, butter, then back together

Wow, the Tykes don't have a lot of confidence in their team, do they? I mean, you'd think there would still be some early-season optimism at least.

They also clearly haven't been following our home form, or they might fancy their chances.

Anyway...

1) Will we win?

Dammit, I'm getting off the fence for this one. After the disappointment at failing to bag our first 3 points against QPR, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we'll do it this weekend...finally ending the Riverside Curse. Prediction: Boro 1 - 0 Barnsley.

(Though we'll miss some sitters and it could have been 3-0).

2) Should Johnson start? 

Depends what formation we play. If we go with wing-backs I'd prefer to see Coulson get a run out, or at the very least come on as  a sub.

3) Is scone pronounced S-con or S-cone 

Both. Posh people use the latter.

12 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Don't the gentlemen from the North say "Scoon"...sure I remember someone mentioning a "Stone of Destiny" that was used for their Coronations

Yeah but you definitely wouldn't want to have that with your afternoon tea!

If I'm feeling posh I'll have mine with jam and a dollop of creme fraiche. Otherwise just a good amount of butter.

Don't think anything less than a win is acceptable here. 2 points from 3 when we've played Bournemouth and Watford isn't great but also not a complete disaster. 2 or 3 points from 4 when we've played qpr and Barnsley would be very poor though. These are the kind of games that should be bread and butter for a manager like warnock. 

Don't think we'll keep a clean sheet again, going for 2-1 boro. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Don't think anything less than a win is acceptable here. 2 points from 3 when we've played Bournemouth and Watford isn't great but also not a complete disaster. 2 or 3 points from 4 when we've played qpr and Barnsley would be very poor though. These are the kind of games that should be bread and butter for a manager like warnock. 

Don't think we'll keep a clean sheet again, going for 2-1 boro. 

I think you make a very compelling point when you added NW into the equation and you are right, these are games you expect him to eat for breakfast. Not winning these games says a lot more about the club then we would care to admit. 

I’m stating to frighten myself because I think it’s the first time in a very long time I have faith in our manager. 

In my eyes NW made one mistake and that is Britt as captain. For a player that misses so many chances I can’t see how he can lead. A captain needs to have a lot of attributes and not necessarily the best player. He needs to be someone who can see what’s happening so it should be someone central mid or back. A good mentor and leader. A good TALKER! 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 2

:::: IMPORTANT UPDATE:::::

Due to the conflicting answers to the scon/scone debate I referred to the Cambridge Dictionary for clarification on the pronunciation (I’m not even gonna open the can of worms that is the jam then cream or cream then jam minefield

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/scone

English- Skon

US - Scone 

Another interesting fact is that in the USA they pronounce ‘Peace’ ..... G.U.N.S  ✌️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Uwe said:

:::: IMPORTANT UPDATE:::::

Due to the conflicting answers to the scon/scone debate I referred to the Cambridge Dictionary for clarification on the pronunciation (I’m not even gonna open the can of worms that is the jam then cream or cream then jam minefield

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/scone

English- Skon

US - Scone 

Another interesting fact is that in the USA they pronounce ‘Peace’ ..... G.U.N.S  ✌️ 

Oh I get it the old, I’m saying nothing because I don’t want to cause a argument, BUT this is what I think routine. 

I’ll have the Skon with jam then the cream please.. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Old Codger said:

2-1

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) neither...should rhyme with "done"

Scun?

21 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Scun?

Derived from traditional insult of Scunner...used to describe Sassenachs who can't handle oatcakes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Scun?

They obviously can't handle their oatcakes in Sconethorpe... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

They obviously can't handle their oatcakes in Sconethorpe... 😁

They are planning to start a film studio there....have lots of ideas for scripts

Scone with the Wind...Scone in 60 Seconds ..Scone Girl  ..Sconeheads  ...The Scone Ranger   Scone flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Scones of Anarchy..  Star Wars : the Scone Wars , Tombscone...we could even hold a Eurovision Scone Contest....the possibilities are limitless  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1- yes

2 - no

3 - both ways are fine.  It's whether you put jam or cream on first that really matters.

2 hours ago, Old Codger said:

They are planning to start a film studio there....have lots of ideas for scripts

Scone with the Wind...Scone in 60 Seconds ..Scone Girl  ..Sconeheads  ...The Scone Ranger   Scone flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Scones of Anarchy..  Star Wars : the Scone Wars , Tombscone...we could even hold a Eurovision Scone Contest....the possibilities are limitless  

Terrible GIF by memecandy

Too...many...puns...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Terrible GIF by memecandy

Too...many...puns...

Sorry ...the tablets seem to have taken effect now......back to the basket weaving and the nice men in the white coats...think I'll watch a Ray Winscone film 

• Haha 1