oneBoro Forum

Eng v Bel

Well we are 16mins in and Belgium twice had the ball in the back of England’s net. Belgium so far are making it seem a fairly easy game pushing England and not allowing time to play out from the back. Unless England change and buck there ideas up it will be over in the next 20 mins. 
GS went with a 3-4-3 which surprised me given Belgium are ranked top. 

Quite board today. 
Well at 1-1 its complementary to the way we have performed. Belgium still pressing high on a England’s back 3 and finding gaps on the break. Not sure GS selection is as good as it could have been but I’ll give him credit risking a 3-4-3 against a top ranked team. That’s is if he had a game plan, which I have my doubts. 

23 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I would have liked Grealish to be given a start today. I think he offers that little bit more creativity that we have been lacking. 

To be fair there are a lot of players in the team that has surprised me. Maguire, Mount, Rice, Dier. 

Edited by sanddancer

Only goes to prove the saying “win ugly” and it worked. The change in mid field did help so credit were due. GS has added a bit more concrete to his foundation so is going to be around for a long time. Well done England... 

England were bloody awful first half. Passing it around the back line then hoofing it forward, hoping one of our front 3 would get on the end. Belgium actually played decent football. Didn't attack too much, but when they did, made us look like a pub team.

Eric Dire should never wear an England shirt again...every game I've seen him in, he's been a liability. But overall no-one came out of that 45 minutes looking good.

Nice dive by Henderson for our penalty.

10 GIF

We looked better second half (not that difficult). Belgium didn't really seem to step up any further. Mount's goal was flukey as hell, with that big deflection looping it up, so Mignolet had no chance.

Think a draw would have been a fair result, but a win is a win...and it was against our toughest opponents.

Just a bit concerned the victory will be used to ignore all the glaring inadequacies.

Expected the German officials to be biased against us, but thought they were pretty fair.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1

We need to drop the 3 at the back system, we've looked completely devoid of ideas the last 4 games we've played it. We don't have the players for it, none of our centre backs suit the system, all of our Fullbacks struggle to play as wingbacks. Essentially we have 8 players on the pitch who don't really create anything so the burden falls on our front 3 to break a team down which is making us slow and predictable.

Belgium knew this and let us have possession in our own half before springing some devastating counters. Let's face it the pen was soft and the deflection was a freak. Belgium had much better chances in the game and a draw would've flattered us. Still they're the number 1 ranked team in the world so the 3 at the back system was probably more warranted than against Iceland and Denmark. We should be playing a system that uses our strengths rather than trying to cover up our weaknesses.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

England were bloody awful first half. Passing it around the back line then hoofing it forward, hoping one of our front 3 would get on the end. Belgium actually played decent football. Didn't attack too much, but when they did, made us look like a pub team.

Keiron Dire should never wear an England shirt again...every game I've seen him in, he's been a liability. But overall no-one came out of that 45 minutes looking good.

10 GIF

We looked better second half (not that difficult). Belgium didn't really seem to step up any further. Mount's goal was flukey as hell, with that big deflection looping it up, so Mignolet had no chance.

Think a draw would have been a fair result, but a win is a win...and it was against our toughest opponents.

Just a bit concerned the victory will be used to ignore all the glaring inadequacies.

Expected the German officials to be biased against us, but thought they were pretty fair.

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF

• Confused 1
11 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Keiron Dire should never wear an England shirt again...every game I've seen him in, he's been a liability. But overall no-one came out of that 45 minutes looking good.

10 GIF

Biased the Germans, really...