oneBoro Forum

League Restructure

4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

It's not going to be a binary choice because this will be voted down. Do you think that'll be the end of it and everyone will continue as is? No chance. This is the opening gambit and Gibson has bit hard. Make a counter offer FFS.

Yeah thats my main gripe with this article. Falling desperately at the PLs feet is not going to help us in any negotiations that may be coming. Its just saying to the Premier league to figure the details out amongst themselves, well take anything you offer us

• Like 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this was entirely predictable back in 1992 when the concept of the Premier League started. They "broke" away from the EFL and formed an elite division along with the FA. Since then the Premiership

Nothing more than an attempted power grab by the top 6. If it goes through it will kill my interest in football entirely.

Posted Images

Finesse the voting rules and keep promotion/relegation the same, and there is plenty to like about the proposal.

Shouldn't be dismissed out of hand - it's a starting point. These guys are businessmen, this is their opening offer and they will likely accept some kind of compromise. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Tbf I’d love the EFL cup to become available only to those clubs not playing European football

It would be the beginning of the end of the League Cup. It would become worthless. Might as well scrap it, if it’s not actually going to be a League Cup.

3 minutes ago, Humpty said:

It would be the beginning of the end of the League Cup. It would become worthless. Might as well scrap it, if it’s not actually going to be a League Cup.

It would make it much more competitive. I don’t care if the top 6 (who couldn’t care less about it anyway) aren’t involved. 

• Like 1

Never thought I'd say this, but after reading his comments I'd like Gibson to sell our club. Everything he says in that article is like a man who is defeated, falling at the feet of the big six for the slightest sniff of some money. This isn't who we are and it isn't who he used to be. A new owner may not be as caring for the club as Gibson, but I'd rather see us die trying to be better than pander to the big clubs in the hope they keep giving us their scraps.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

It would make it much more competitive. I don’t care if the top 6 (who couldn’t care less about it anyway) aren’t involved. 

May as well just merge it with the Johnstone Paint Trophy, another pointless cup. 

If the top teams aren't competing in it, it's a worthless achievement.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think it probably is a binary choice as the PL are unwilling to bail out the EFL teams. 

I’m not an avid follower of the Premier League but I do enjoy watching the odd live game and I’m far more likely to tune into Liverpool v Arsenal or the Manchester derby than I am to watch Sheffield Utd v Aston Villa, I’m sure many football fans all over the world have a similar attitude, without the big six, the premier league would be pretty unspectacular.

The biggest damage has already been done with the introduction of VAR, for me that has ruined the game and ought to be scrapped. 

Maybe...but we won't know unless we try.

Again, its a similar situation in F1. Ferrari throw their toys out of the pram every time the other teams or the FIA try to introduce stuff they don't like and threaten to walk away. They also have an unfair power of veto (which none of the other teams has) to block any regulations or changes they don't like.

And everyone else keeps caving in because they are scared the sport's popularity would fall if the Italians weren't involved.

I've been saying for years its high time the rest of the teams called their bluff.

As far as I'm concerned, the EFL, FA and government should call the PL's bluff and tell them to stick their proposal where the sun don't shine.

I know realistically it'll never happen...as you say, money talks.

But in a fair and principled world, I'd love to see this happen.

Also, props to the FANS of the PL clubs who made the proposal. Seems even they are against it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760

On Tuesday, a joint statement from supporters' groups of the ‘big six’ teams said: “The fans we represent are fortunate to support clubs that regularly secure the largest financial revenues in the Premier League. But all of us understand that football doesn’t work in isolation - it’s a family.

“It requires a fair share of resources to ensure that the Premier League is competitive to watch and that the lower leagues flourish as part of our national game.

“While the six clubs we support are widely reported to be the instigators of Project Big Picture, it is important we state very clearly we do not support the proposals in their current form.

“We are totally opposed to concentrating power in the hands of six billionaire owners and departing from the one club, one vote and collective ethos of the Premier League. This part of the proposal must be dropped immediately if other elements are to be given serious consideration.

“We welcome the government reiterating its plan for a supporter-led review into football governance. This needs to happen as a matter of urgency and supporter groups must be consulted."

barack obama applause GIF by Obama

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
Just now, Will said:

Never thought I'd say this, but after reading his comments I'd like Gibson to sell our club. Everything he says in that article is like a man who is defeated, falling at the feet of the big six for the slightest sniff of some money. This isn't who we are and it isn't who he used to be. A new owner may not be as caring for the club as Gibson, but I'd rather see us die trying to be better than pander to the big clubs in the hope they keep giving us their scraps.

It's certainly pushed me further along this line of thinking, too. Utterly despicable stuff.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Rebrand it as the EFL Cup.

The PL teams treat it with contempt already, so it wouldn't be that much of a change. Its already called a Mickey Mouse trophy, so they may as well formalise its status.

Yes fair play to the fan groups, who oppose it and for the integrity of the premier league, I hope the other teams oppose it.

I’m not saying that I support the idea, but I can see why Mr Gibson thinks it’s a good idea, and I’m not going to criticise him, we aren’t a premier league team and TV revenue alone won’t keep us going without spectators in the ground. 

It’s only called Mickey Mouse by the teams that don’t win it. In its current guise it’s a major honour because it’s competitive, historic and has a prize at the end of it. Like someone above said, it might as well swap it with the JP trophy if the top 6 drop out.

The top teams clearly expect fans to pay more and receive less. Typical greedy attitude, which in the long term will destroy football. The fans particularly at this difficult time  can't afford any more. Sky think fans are daft and take them for mugs. Time they began to realise.

• Like 1