• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this was entirely predictable back in 1992 when the concept of the Premier League started. They "broke" away from the EFL and formed an elite division along with the FA. Since then the Premiership

Nothing more than an attempted power grab by the top 6. If it goes through it will kill my interest in football entirely.

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Sounds an absolute dream scenario to me. Pity it'll never happen...

I loved that article right up until the skunks won a trophy. Even in a fantasy world, that's a nightmare not a dream.

There are some great ideas in the article, but I suspect you'd still end up with a cabal of clubs dominating the league even if the current cabal left. However, it'd certainly be a lot more egalitarian for a long time than the current lopsided PL.

And as a consumer (sorry, supporter), I'd spend a damn sight more time watching the English leagues than a European 'super' league, in the same way the Champions League barely registers on my radar now. Plus, if the BBC and ITV went back to broadcasting live football en masse, Boro would have a realistic prospect of matchday highlights not being shown on bloody Quest.

• Like 1

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/project-big-picture-could-see-19102196.amp?__twitter_impression=true

A decent article all in all from Craig Johns but this quote is puzzling, and expresses a sentiment I’ve seen a lot since the Big Picture outbreak:

‘The competitive, unpredictable nature of the Premier League is what makes it one of the best leagues in the world.

We risk losing that, and worse still, we risk losing hope for fans.’

Big Picture is not some sort of radical departure from the status quo, it’s a consolidation of it. The Premier League is already a monopoly and the fact people point to the Leicester title win as a source of hope for fans of smaller clubs (as Johns does in this article) is a testament to that. One anomaly is not sufficient evidence that the Premier League is ‘competitive’ or ‘unpredictable’, it is distinctly uncompetitive and Big Picture seeks to put the final nail in that coffin. 

3 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

All this was entirely predictable back in 1992 when the concept of the Premier League started. They "broke" away from the EFL and formed an elite division along with the FA. Since then the Premiership has become more and more distanced from the remaining 72 League teams with only a few of them (us included) briefly flirting with Premiership glory to maintain the status quo of the "big" clubs or top six as they are now being referred to.

I remember in my childhood Liverpool just being a Middlesbrough until Bill Shankly arrived and took them out of the old second division. Most of us on here can recall Man City playing in League One where Sunderland now find themselves and Mighty Man Utd being rather non descript after Matt Busby retired and arguably not far now  from a similar fate after Fergie. Wealthy billionaire owners of these clubs are gambling and wanting to cash their chips in now than risk the ignominy of a poor run at some future point. Liverpool's stock is at it's highest since the eighties and they also know how quick you can slide and how long it can take to clamber back up the greasy pole.

In effect Liverpool and United are future proofing their clubs, realising that right now the rest of Football is desperate just to survive and so by throwing them crumbs from their Gateau and Pavlova ladened tables now is a once in a lifetime opportunity. What they are doing is little different to pimps manipulating young girls, shamelessly exploiting their vulnerability in order to make money on the back of their poverty and misery. Adding a few grams of non prescription stuff along the way just hooks them even further into a spiralling life that once started is almost impossible to escape.

That they are doing this right now should come as no surprise, indeed the only surprise perhaps is that it has taken this long but Covid and Sky combined have presented them with an incredible opportunity to shaft the vulnerable. Ultimately of course like any unfaithful spouse with a wandering eye they will eventually split from the Premiership and the FA to form a sexier and more attractive European super league. They will be joined probably by the two Glasgow sides and those from Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Paris, Turin and Milan etc. in fact any club that can add to their immoral filthy lucre.

It is the precursor to the end of football as we know it as it emulates the practices of owners in the US. The next stage after that will be the most painful, when Liverpool relocates lock stock and barrel to become San Diego Scousers in the Global Super Soccer Sporting League. Manchester United relocate to become Montreal Mancs and Tottenham are sold to become the Saudi Spurs Sheikhers. Blades fans will be up in arms as a bid for them to relocate to become the Shanghai Steelers hits home. Some Championship sides will no doubt be desperate to emulate and become budget versions of their far wealthier Premiership siblings, my money is on Denver Derby Debtors becoming the first to try and break into a Global Super second tier.

That Steve Gibson at this juncture sees a financial lifeline which would ease personal liabilities, responsibilities and pressure is understandable. Business is difficult right now for everyone thanks to Covid and may take a decade or more to recover. The impact of Brexit is also about to be revealed this weekend which is unlikely to improve things anytime soon based upon the recent competence of our present Ministers and their untouchable adviser.

At varying points in our lives we all become tired and a little jaded, most of us right now are probably more jaded than we have ever been with diminishing bank balances to match. Football will never return to the days of Leather Casey's and Goalkeepers leaning against posts cadging a Woodbine from fans behind the goal. Steve Gibson knows the reality of where the game is today, indeed Mike Ashley has known the same for some time hence the eternal calling for his "heid" from Geordie supporters. Over the last fifty years the game has moved on from Bovril to Bollinger and there is nothing we fans can afford to do to stop it. We can of course hope that their avarice implodes, eventually eating themselves up in the process.

End your sky and BT subscriptions. There’s always something to be done.

(really good post though!)

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Project big picture has been voted against by the rest of the premier league. 

I haven't seen confirmation of this on any news or sports websites. Where did you hear about it?

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Abandoned in that specific form perhaps.  But it hasn't really gone anywhere.

You do wonder whether MU and  Liverpool ever expected it to get approved or whether this is just the softener for something else already designed  that they think will be more acceptable to the rest of the PL and that the EFL will accept in relief.

33 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/project-big-picture-could-see-19102196.amp?__twitter_impression=true

A decent article all in all from Craig Johns but this quote is puzzling, and expresses a sentiment I’ve seen a lot since the Big Picture outbreak:

‘The competitive, unpredictable nature of the Premier League is what makes it one of the best leagues in the world.

We risk losing that, and worse still, we risk losing hope for fans.’

Big Picture is not some sort of radical departure from the status quo, it’s a consolidation of it. The Premier League is already a monopoly and the fact people point to the Leicester title win as a source of hope for fans of smaller clubs (as Johns does in this article) is a testament to that. One anomaly is not sufficient evidence that the Premier League is ‘competitive’ or ‘unpredictable’, it is distinctly uncompetitive and Big Picture seeks to put the final nail in that coffin. 

I agree regarding the competition (or lack of). Stopping the Big Picture however at least stops the juggernaut from gaining infinite momentum. There will be further discussions but the 1 club 1 vote must remain.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't think a plan 3 years in the works is gonna go away without a fight. I'm just glad that, whatever their reasoning, the other Prem clubs have proved why 6 clubs shouldn't be able to determine the direction of the whole league. If those clubs refuse to support the EFL in any future decisions then they are definitely going to make some enemies with the other 72 clubs, for sure. But these plans in their current form are just the most disgusting mind-child of the hyper-capitalist billionaires who own these 'big' clubs and they need to be sent back to the pits of hell in which they were formed.