oneBoro Forum

Boro v Reading 0-0

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

There ARE positives there today. Thought the back 4 were all quality today, including Bola who I thought had a quietly confident game. Nullified Meite very well. Still needs to do better going forward but thought defensively he was excellent today.

Morsy will be a real game changer IMO, the man can control that midfield and makes the need for both Howson & Saville unnecessary.

Hope it was a tactical decision and not injury that forced Britt off because we can't afford that right now.

I think it was a tactical decision, as I said just after it happened. Unless someone heard something I didn't, I think he's come off and he's brought Johnson on because our left-hand side was getting done and Bola was doing alright but couldn't cover his winger and the full-back that side. He had to take a striker off to both try and cover the wings and pull their full-backs back and provide extra cover for Bola.

We were playing a pretty odd asymmetric formation in the first half where Tav was really the only winger and Bola was the only one on the left at all, similar to how we played against Barnsley but a strange decision given how often Reading utilised their wingers and full-backs in an attacking sense. Barnsley it kind of made sense as so much of their stuff went through the middle of the pitch.

• Like 2
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you show me the quote by these ‘some one here’ saying they expect us to play like city or Barca please I’m interested to read it! In all honesty I’m tired of these arguments, I’m tired of see

Sorry for the short but sweet MDT but am still working    So the mighty Boro fresh from the first victory  of the season they take on the in form team with 4 wins out of 4 and only conceded

The club finished 4th, 2nd, 5th and 7th before last season in this division. Then we put a rookie in charge and we nearly get relegated, experienced manager in charge and we turn it around and win 50%

Posted Images

Can’t see how anyone can think that Reading deserved to win that. Bettinelli had one save to make and it was pretty routine that he would be expected to make. The rest of their chances were long range shots which were all off target. Their keeper had two routine saves to make and we had a shot cleared off the line. Not to mention a close call offside goal that Howson converted. All in all a draw is a fair result 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Thing is hes said repeatedly that he doesnt want to make up the numbers, here's here to get us promoted. The new signings have said the same thing, so anything less has to be seen as a failure to reach our targets

Fair enough, but building a promotion-chasing squad takes time...especially when you're starting from where we were. Put it this way, I'd be bloody amazed if we finished top 6 this season.

Hmm...wonder what odds you can get on that?

Nothing game. Fair result. They had a little bit more quality in the attacking third but Betenelli rarely bothered apart from a good stop first half. Back four solid - personally I like the midfield three the way it is too. Same old problem though in terms of cutting edge. Hopefully the introduction of Roberts will improve things there. Still think we look nailed on for 10th - 16th.

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Thing is hes said repeatedly that he doesnt want to make up the numbers, here's here to get us promoted. The new signings have said the same thing, so anything less has to be seen as a failure to reach our targets

Spot on mate, said it before, will say it again. If he's not here to get us promoted, why is he here?

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Can’t see how anyone can think that Reading deserved to win that. Bettinelli had one save to make and it was pretty routine that he would be expected to make. The rest of their chances were long range shots which were all off target. Their keeper had two routine saves to make and we had a shot cleared off the line. Not to mention a close call offside goal that Howson converted. All in all a draw is a fair result 

I agree it was the right result. When I said it wouldn't have been overly harsh on us if we lost it was purely because we didn't try to win the game with our game management and subs and they did. Not that it made them much better.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I agree it was the right result. When I said it wouldn't have been overly harsh on us if we lost it was purely because we didn't try to win the game with our game management and subs and they did. Not that it made them much better.

Fair enough comment when you put it like that 👍

Don’t know why everyone is down after that performance 

We nil - nil’d the crap out of them 😀

• Haha 4
57 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Against a team that's only conceded 1 league goal & had a 100% record, I'll take the draw and the clean sheet. 

Think we had a chance to win that though and not bringing Roberts on was criminal IMO.

We go again Tuesday.

Against a team that finished three points ahead of us last season, have a brand new manager, and didn't exactly spend a fortune in the summer.  Maybe we should have a bit more ambition?

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Double passes and double possession is about where I'd expect against a team that does like to pass the ball around against a Warnock team. That aspect of it doesn't concern me in terms of how well we performed. I really don't remember 10 'chances' from Reading either, I don't remember a single chance they had that was actually in the box for starters? A few shots from the edge of the box when our defence and midfield is all in front of them is not what I'd really call a 'created' chance, more of a 'We can't get round these so might as well have a dig'. Close efforts but last resort efforts.

We didn't deserve a win by any means, neither team did. We were rubbish, they weren't much, if at all better. It was scrappy, a lot of fouls in the game, nobody could quite win the midfield battle, even when they had it, they weren't doing much with it really.

Like just about every game this season.  We turn it into a scrap and hope for the best.