oneBoro Forum

Boro v Reading 0-0

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Thats exactly what we've not been doing! Even looking at our two subs today, they were to counter where the other team were looking dangerous rather than to try to cause them problems. We were happy to take a draw at home to a team that struggled almost as much as we did in the season that just finished 2 months ago. It says it all about our ambition on the field.

I disagree. Had we scored in the last few minutes it would have been a masterclass of winning football. We put the ball in the net, they didn’t. The offside decision was so close. It couldn’t be determined from what we saw and Warnock is adamant that the IT guys from both sides said it should have stood. Fine margins. I’m backing Warnock 100% as the right man for the job. Ridiculous to think that fannying about football would be the right thing for us in our situation 

• Like 3
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you show me the quote by these ‘some one here’ saying they expect us to play like city or Barca please I’m interested to read it! In all honesty I’m tired of these arguments, I’m tired of see

Sorry for the short but sweet MDT but am still working    So the mighty Boro fresh from the first victory  of the season they take on the in form team with 4 wins out of 4 and only conceded

The club finished 4th, 2nd, 5th and 7th before last season in this division. Then we put a rookie in charge and we nearly get relegated, experienced manager in charge and we turn it around and win 50%

Posted Images

This season is a little different from most in that there are usually a couple of sides that stand out from the rest and at the moment, nobody seems to be falling into that category  ..seems more like a lot of evenly matched sides that will make every game a close affair, even after Bristol and Cardiff, the fixtures don't get much easier, so to me, if we can stay in a reasonable position till the next window, we will be doing Ok...  we know that if by some accident we did go up, virtually everyone bar one or two would need to be replaced, and we just cannot realistically afford that, so if we can give people like Dijksteel, Fry, Tav and maybe Roberts time to be coached properly, we may be able to push on next season ..or at least be better to watch, but at the moment, if every game was like today's, I would be OK with it if it meant that we have a future to look forward to    

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

Are you seriously comparing the squad Warnock has available to him with the one s from up to 5 years ago?

I don't need to, because the last time we finished just outside the playoffs was just over a year ago.

1 hour ago, thomas said:

How do you know that Warnock didn't ask for a one year contract just in case he didn't feel like carrying on after this season? to put a spin on it what if Gibson asked him to sign for 2-3 years but Warnock said no and asked for 1 year because he wanted to review at the end of the season. If it comes to the end of the season with us just outside the playoffs, id put a bet on Warnock staying on for one more season and to further that I don't think the majority of the fans would see that as a failure particularly after last season. 

Give Warnock 2 seasons if he wants too carry on and I think we get into playoffs and maybe even get promoted, I think its too much to expect for him to do it this season with the players badly coached after last season, the limited transfer budget hes to play with and the rebuild he's having to do, we be close somewhere in top 10 but just miss out on playoffs I reckon. Them additions hes brought in this season I think we look back as some cracking finds in years to come with the bonus of not spending loads of cash and id say give him another 2/3 transfer windows this could look a balanced solid side. 

You've made a suggestion that Warnock might stay. The fact is his contract ends at the end of this season. That's the basis of my expectations. Why on Earth should I judge Warnock as if he's a long term manager when he's only got one year's contract? It really doesn't matter whether you think he'll stay on or not after this season as, unless he signs a new one, he won't stay beyond this year.

Put it this way, you wouldn't sit here and say 'Even if Bettinelli had a bad year this year, he might be better next year'. You could say the same thing, that he might be here next year too. Maybe he sodding loves the Boro and can't wait to extend his stay here. But we're not gonna sit and hold judgement on him until the end of an as yet unconfirmed extended stay are we?

All you're saying here is your expectations are significantly lower than mine. I think the club has done a number on fans who have lower expectations because 'manager with no experience in management nearly got club relegated' should not be a significant shock to anyone and should not lead people to think the club is in a worse position than it is. Last season's squad should never have been down the bottom of the table.

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

The club finished 4th, 2nd, 5th and 7th before last season in this division. Then we put a rookie in charge and we nearly get relegated, experienced manager in charge and we turn it around and win 50% of their games.

Now we're supposed to believe that the reason we nearly get relegated is 100% because the club is in a sorry financial state and we need Warnock to keep us going and keep us alive. Not me, sorry.

Either he's here to take us up this season or he isn't. If he isn't, he shouldn't be here under the premise that he might do another year.

I didn’t say that we nearly got relegated due to poor finances, where did you get that from?

Warnock isn’t here to take us up, you are totally deluded. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I didn’t say that we nearly got relegated due to poor finances, where did you get that from?

Warnock isn’t here to take us up, you are totally deluded. 

So you think a 70 year old fella is gonna leave his family and retirement or semi retirement to doss about in midtable?  You're older than me mate but I don't see that at all.  There has to be something driving him and that will be promotion.

What club have avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth on the last day of the season and then been tipped from promotion the following season after losing a number of players out of contract?

This is a season of consolidation. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Blanco said:

Exactly. Well said @White Band Some on here expect us to play like Man City or Barcelona but are happy to forget that both have surpassed 1 Billion in player incomings in the last few years.

Can you show me the quote by these ‘some one here’ saying they expect us to play like city or Barca please I’m interested to read it!

In all honesty I’m tired of these arguments, I’m tired of seeing people get criticised for daring to want us to attack a bit more, or even (god forbid) wish we’d improved the team. 

The thing I’ve noticed with this forum is it’s the polar opposite from fmttm, here you’re supposed to celebrate what we’re given, no matter how good or bad there will always be someone around to defend it, even the most ridiculous of decisions/results.

I can’t believe I actually seen someone in this thread say ‘I don’t get the obsession with attacking’. Seriously? Like that’s what football is all about, attacking teams and trying to score. Wanting your team to be more open doesn’t HAVE to mean leaking goals left and right or trying to pass teams to submission. It’s as simple as swapping (for example) Saville or howson for tav or Roberts, letting a player or 2 make a run forward a bit earlier in a move. 

For 2 years now we’ve played totally devoid of ANY kind of inventive attacking shape or pattern. For 2 years we’ve failed consistently to adequately replace ANY of our list wide players. The fact that we have now resorted to playing a league 1 winger at lwb and then an attacking mid at rwb all because we once again couldn’t sign a *** full back or 2 just sums up how laughable we are. The fact that people here will not only defend the club but criticise those who point out these failings is just as laughable.

So no, nobody is expecting us to play like city or Barca, that is just a terrible, bird brained, generic phrase to throw at people who have the nerve to point out a fault, simply because you can’t come out with any meaningful defence and that’s because there isn’t a defence.

Anyone saying tav and Johnson shouldn’t be our wingbacks is right, Johnson is awful and tav is totally ineffective. Anyone who says we need to improve our attack is right, we are simply awful at attacking. Anyone who says we are dull to watch is right, no neutral in their right mind would watch us out of choice.

We are a poor, boring football club, having woodgate as manager for a few months doesn’t get us off the hook, these big ‘recovery’ periods people think we need are a total myth and a coping mechanism. If another fan has the nerve to point this out and to not be happy with our recent performance as a club then I can’t do anything but agree with them. 

We’ve sunk into oblivion and are doing our best to stay here.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

So you think a 70 year old fella is gonna leave his family and retirement or semi retirement to doss about in midtable?  You're older than me mate but I don't see that at all.  There has to be something driving him and that will be promotion.

A good wage might be part of it and I think Warnock just enjoys the challenge of management. You could have said 4 years why would a 66 year old be dossing about with Rotherham at the bottom of the table. 

I think Warnock is very driven and in this division he probably believes he could get most clubs competitive. But I also don't think the club have given Warnock the objective of promotion. I don't think our transfer business is that of a club going all out for promotion. 

Edited by Duvel
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

Can you show me the quote by these ‘some one here’ saying they expect us to play like city or Barca please I’m interested to read it!

In all honesty I’m tired of these arguments, I’m tired of seeing people get criticised for daring to want us to attack a bit more, or even (god forbid) wish we’d improved the team. 

The thing I’ve noticed with this forum is it’s the polar opposite from fmttm, here you’re supposed to celebrate what we’re given, no matter how good or bad there will always be someone around to defend it, even the most ridiculous of decisions/results.

I can’t believe I actually seen someone in this thread say ‘I don’t get the obsession with attacking’. Seriously? Like that’s what football is all about, attacking teams and trying to score. Wanting your team to be more open doesn’t HAVE to mean leaking goals left and right or trying to pass teams to submission. It’s as simple as swapping (for example) Saville or howson for tav or Roberts, letting a player or 2 make a run forward a bit earlier in a move. 

For 2 years now we’ve played totally devoid of ANY kind of inventive attacking shape or pattern. For 2 years we’ve failed consistently to adequately replace ANY of our list wide players. The fact that we have now resorted to playing a league 1 winger at lwb and then an attacking mid at rwb all because we once again couldn’t sign a *** full back or 2 just sums up how laughable we are. The fact that people here will not only defend the club but criticise those who point out these failings is just as laughable.

So no, nobody is expecting us to play like city or Barca, that is just a terrible, bird brained, generic phrase to throw at people who have the nerve to point out a fault, simply because you can’t come out with any meaningful defence and that’s because there isn’t a defence.

Anyone saying tav and Johnson shouldn’t be our wingbacks is right, Johnson is awful and tav is totally ineffective. Anyone who says we need to improve our attack is right, we are simply awful at attacking. Anyone who says we are dull to watch is right, no neutral in their right mind would watch us out of choice.

We are a poor, boring football club, having woodgate as manager for a few months doesn’t get us off the hook, these big ‘recovery’ periods people think we need are a total myth and a coping mechanism. If another fan has the nerve to point this out and to not be happy with our recent performance as a club then I can’t do anything but agree with them. 

Some good points raised here but we can all see that there is improvement going on.

The biggest dissappointment for me was that we did not impose ourselves not attack enough which if Warnock is looking for a last hurrah needs to improve.

Can not argue that home form is improving even if very slowly

8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

You've made a suggestion that Warnock might stay. The fact is his contract ends at the end of this season. That's the basis of my expectations. Why on Earth should I judge Warnock as if he's a long term manager when he's only got one year's contract? It really doesn't matter whether you think he'll stay on or not after this season as, unless he signs a new one, he won't stay beyond this year.

Put it this way, you wouldn't sit here and say 'Even if Bettinelli had a bad year this year, he might be better next year'. You could say the same thing, that he might be here next year too. Maybe he sodding loves the Boro and can't wait to extend his stay here. But we're not gonna sit and hold judgement on him until the end of an as yet unconfirmed extended stay are we?

All you're saying here is your expectations are significantly lower than mine. I think the club has done a number on fans who have lower expectations because 'manager with no experience in management nearly got club relegated' should not be a significant shock to anyone and should not lead people to think the club is in a worse position than it is. Last season's squad should never have been down the bottom of the table.

Fine okay lets say Warnock doesn't stay for a min at the end of the season but come the end of the season he makes 1 or 2 good finds in the January transfer window (permanent players on a few years contract) and doesn't get us promoted but at least makes the season more enjoyable than last. Going back to your original point why do we need a rebuild?  surely we shouldn't be thinking evolution not revolution if the squad is finally going in the right direction. 

On your point on last season and I am curious why do you think that should have finished a lot higher? with Clayton and friend almost completely lost their legs, Guestede playing 19 games last season upfront for us, Shotton considered a good option at the back (i watched him at derby when was at uni and of course with us hes really not a good option), Nmecha and Ravel coming in on loan who rank bad, Britt most of the year diddnt look bothered and playing kids who tbf were the best players in the most part but many hadn't played before last season so they were always going to get taught lessons by the better teams in the league along the way.

I dont think anyone would have got promotion with that squad last season even with Pep or Klopp in charge from the start honestly nobody. 

7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I think he’s a 70 year old who loves managing football teams rather than sitting around at home, I don’t see where promotion comes into it. I’m sure that he hopes he might get us near the playoffs, but I don’t believe the club have backed that up. 
You are a pretty savvy bloke and if you think we’ll be in the promotion chase then great, keep believing, personally I just don’t see it. I guess time will tell. 

• Like 3

So the thread consensus shows a majority are unhappy with the club it’s owner, manager, style, players ambition or position. Did I leave anything out? 

I would love to see attacking with fabulous score lines but there is no production line that churns out thousands of attacking players to satisfy all clubs so where will all these robotic minded players come from. I don’t see why we need high scoring games like USA sports either.

A manager gets the best out of a players ability that can play a part in a team and is available to him. No different to when I was at school and two of us would line up those who wanted a game and alternatively each picked player until there was none left and the fat one ended up in goal. So may be the answer to the problem is again the USA equal, the  draft... nope I can’t see this working. 

I am not happy with SG, I don’t think the football we play is good, I don’t think we have the right players but I do know we have a owner who can’t financially compete and has lost interest, I know as a Northern club we need to pay over the asking price for players to show interest and we no longer have cash, I know the club is cutting the cloth to fit the size of the town that can support it, so I know we won’t be playing the Premier anytime soon and are more suspect of fading into oblivion. 

Im not happy but I understand where we are and why and the limitations we face. 
So on that note. I’m happy with the point, I’m happy to review our position after 10 to 15 games, I’m happy NW has blessed us with his time and experience. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

You took a hell of a long time there to say because I’m content with what we have that I’m wrong. Not everyone sees doom and gloom everywhere. Maybe you should try and be positive sometime 🙄

• Like 1

We seem to be living in a weird parallel universe where CT and Wilson think we are aiming for promotion (albeit whilst not rating our players or style of play), whilst Blanco thinks we’ll consolidate and finish mid table. 

Everything I thought I knew is wrong!

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3