• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you show me the quote by these ‘some one here’ saying they expect us to play like city or Barca please I’m interested to read it! In all honesty I’m tired of these arguments, I’m tired of see

Sorry for the short but sweet MDT but am still working    So the mighty Boro fresh from the first victory  of the season they take on the in form team with 4 wins out of 4 and only conceded

The club finished 4th, 2nd, 5th and 7th before last season in this division. Then we put a rookie in charge and we nearly get relegated, experienced manager in charge and we turn it around and win 50%

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We seem to be living in a weird parallel universe where CT and Wilson think we are aiming for promotion (albeit whilst not rating our players or style of play), whilst Blanco thinks we’ll consolidate and finish mid table. 

Everything I thought I knew is wrong!

I had made my predication known based on two factors, NW getting the players he asked for,that didn’t happen and without. I don’t recall making the playoff even with NW getting the players but I’ll check just to make sure I was not so ambitious.😙 

18 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Come on mate. You know that it was warnocks decision to offer Johnson a new contract. Hes talked about how much he likes him throughout his time here.

I think that was positive spin from Warnock.. Johnson was here, might as well try to boost his confidence... 

I think Warnock would want a New true LB if it was an either or situation. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Its a bad angle for it, looks very tight but impossible to tell either way unless you're looking straight across the line

Honestly it’s the same as the Liverpool offside both hard to understand why either were disallowed. Well for sure I thought pool were robbed.  I also thought the rule “the striker given the benefit”. Now if there is reason to believe a finger, toe or arm pit strayed a mm or two it’s offside. It beggars belief how small measurements can be accounted exactly at the time the ball was played. So the solution is you can’t be level meaning a body length distance which then gives the advantage to a defender. That’s not going to happen is it.
Strange I support VAR 

I’m no fan of VAR. it was first mooted to handle “clear and obvious errors “ but they haven’t stuck with that. There was nothing clear or obvious about that Liverpool goal yesterday and even when they showed the lines on the pitch he still looked onside. It’s too open for corruption for me 👎🏿

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think he’s a 70 year old who loves managing football teams rather than sitting around at home, I don’t see where promotion comes into it. I’m sure that he hopes he might get us near the playoffs, but I don’t believe the club have backed that up. 
You are a pretty savvy bloke and if you think we’ll be in the promotion chase then great, keep believing, personally I just don’t see it. I guess time will tell. 

4 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We seem to be living in a weird parallel universe where CT and Wilson think we are aiming for promotion (albeit whilst not rating our players or style of play), whilst Blanco thinks we’ll consolidate and finish mid table. 

Everything I thought I knew is wrong!

I think Warnock is aiming for promotion, I never said that I expected it or anything of the sort.  Here are some quotes from an article just 6 weeks ago where Warnock makes that pretty clear:

"I didn't want to come for the sake of it.  I don't need the job, do I?"

"I've heard a few people talking about us aiming for a mid-table season...Look I'm 71.  Mid-table doesn't do it for you when you're 71.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  I want to be challenging at the top.  If we end up in mid-table then it won't be for wont of trying to be up there with the leading teams in the division."

So there it is in black and white.  You're now going to say that he didn't mean it and he was just saying it or something along those lines.  He isn't going to artificially increase expectations on himself and the team like that.  He's saying it because he means it, and it's really just basic common sense to think that someone at his stage of life is not interested in doing stuff for the sake of it.  He's achieved plenty already, he's here to try and achieve more.  If some of you don't have the same level of ambition then maybe you should ask yourselves why that is?  I think it's cos some Boro fans have almost had all ambition drained from them.  There are people who actually can't see why fans might want to watch some good football ffs.  That's how daft things have gone lately.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

They picked a different manager with a different style of play to the one we picked? I don't understand what you're asking.

And my original point was JW, had he come up against this seasons Reading & not last seasons Reading, would have found a way to lose that game today. I'm not comparing it to last season at all, Reading are flying high atm.

I thought I'd made it pretty clear to be honest.  Why do we have to be content with what we've been given but a team that is no bigger than us, and is going through the same things as us, can have it better?   Why do Boro fans feel that they have to settle for less?

18 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

It’s tight. But it looks like Howsons left foot is about on the line of the cut on the pitch, while the defenders right foot certainly seems beyond it?

The problem is that if his shoulder or armpit or nose hair is fractionally goal side of the defender then he's offside, even if common sense would suggest that this is analysing it too far.  I have some sympathy for a linesman who has to make the call immediately in real time.  When you see VAR messing around with it all then I don't have any at all.

I may be wrong, but I always assumed the rule was meant to apply to the main part of the body rather than the extremities..  current application seems rather strange. To use a facetious example, in a WSL game, it would mean that a generously proportioned player could be stood very slightly behind a more slender opponent and be deemed offside by inches. Surely that would be unjust and not what is intended. VAR is a tool that should only be used as a final decider and only on request, with a limited number of requests available to each side, the way it is currently employed is a nitpickers charter and does not add anything to the game.    

• Like 2
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Our squad wasn't exactly great when we finished 7th either, it was unbalanced, lacked pace and creativity and yet still we finished 7th.

Why we would need a rebuild again is because the next manager will have his own ways of doing things. And evidence has shown since Karanka that we have absolutely no sodding idea how to evolve a team across managers, we have flip-flapped between two ends of the spectrum and gotten nowhere doing it. We just don't take into consideration how matched managers are in terms of style, we just pick a new manager and then tell them to deal with it. The end result is that we don't have an evolution or a revolution, we stagnate as we deal with the previous manager's building blocks whilst trying to invoke the new ones.

The big question here though is why are we giving Warnock the job for a year if the end goal is to sit in mid table? We don't need stabilising, this squad isn't relegation fodder, it was driven to such depths by a man out of his depth. If the next manager is going to be a long term project, why not bloody start that now? Why wait a year?

The answer is pretty simple. Gibson has given Warnock the job in the hope he can get us promoted. He's not willing to waste another few years if he can get what he wants right now. Otherwise his appointment makes no sense. He either takes his time, makes an appointment to take our team and evolve it over a few seasons or he keeps making reactionary moves in the hope something will immediately click. If he's gonna do the latter then I'm gonna judge him on that.

People who think this thought process is about hope or positivity that we can actually get promoted are seriously missing the point, though. I'm not convinced we'll get promoted any more than you or anyone else. I'm setting that to be my expectation because if we don't, this year is time wasted. If we don't make it up this year, this is absolutely another stick to beat the club with as we continue to prove ourselves as a crap example of a modern football club.

Take your point about the fact we flip flopped its something I think everyone here will agree with, it actually goes back to what I was saying end of last season the next manager after Warnock i dont think should be able too choose his assistant the coaches in the background should stay constant now we have got Blackwell and Jepson if the mutual feeling in football is they are 2 excellent coaches. I feel that would help stop the flip flopping having 2 coaches who are constant and hopefully next time you also pick a manager who sees the potential in some of the players that are here not someone who wants to rip it up and start again. 

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I think Warnock is aiming for promotion, I never said that I expected it or anything of the sort.  Here are some quotes from an article just 6 weeks ago where Warnock makes that pretty clear:

"I didn't want to come for the sake of it.  I don't need the job, do I?"

"I've heard a few people talking about us aiming for a mid-table season...Look I'm 71.  Mid-table doesn't do it for you when you're 71.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  I want to be challenging at the top.  If we end up in mid-table then it won't be for wont of trying to be up there with the leading teams in the division."

So there it is in black and white.  You're now going to say that he didn't mean it and he was just saying it or something along those lines.  He isn't going to artificially increase expectations on himself and the team like that.  He's saying it because he means it, and it's really just basic common sense to think that someone at his stage of life is not interested in doing stuff for the sake of it.  He's achieved plenty already, he's here to try and achieve more.  If some of you don't have the same level of ambition then maybe you should ask yourselves why that is?  I think it's cos some Boro fans have almost had all ambition drained from them.  There are people who actually can't see why fans might want to watch some good football ffs.  That's how daft things have gone lately.

I think it’s significant that those comments were made during the transfer window. To me it sounds political, I think he was applying pressure on the chairman to sign the players he wanted, by claiming he was at the club to get us up.
I may be wrong, but that’s what I’d have done if I was in his shoes. 

6 weeks later on, he didn’t persuade Gibbo to splash out and I very much doubt that Warnock believes we are likely to go up, although saying that, Woodgate managed to convince himself, the press, the chairman and Rob from FMTTM that we were going to play like Liverpool and get back where we belong with his passion and football brain. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Its a bad angle for it, looks very tight but impossible to tell either way unless you're looking straight across the line

Look at the lines on the grass assuming they're level That was on side