oneBoro Forum

Boro v Reading 0-0

3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We seem to be living in a weird parallel universe where CT and Wilson think we are aiming for promotion (albeit whilst not rating our players or style of play), whilst Branco thinks we’ll consolidate and finish mid table. 

Everything I thought I knew is wrong!

With CT its not so surprising...he's always been a bit weird. 😂

Wilson though is usually very rational, so its a bit more disconcerting, coming from him.

While I don't claim to be any kind of expert, having followed the club's changing fortunes over the past 30 years, I would be absolutely astounded if we finished top 6 this season, regardless of what NW may, or may not have said.

• Like 2
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you show me the quote by these ‘some one here’ saying they expect us to play like city or Barca please I’m interested to read it! In all honesty I’m tired of these arguments, I’m tired of see

Sorry for the short but sweet MDT but am still working    So the mighty Boro fresh from the first victory  of the season they take on the in form team with 4 wins out of 4 and only conceded

The club finished 4th, 2nd, 5th and 7th before last season in this division. Then we put a rookie in charge and we nearly get relegated, experienced manager in charge and we turn it around and win 50%

Posted Images

11 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

He's not a defender either.

The only positives people have ever mentioned about him are related to the attacking side of the game.

Dijksteel is the man.

I’m not really sure how you can argue that...

Britt -> Johnson

Tavernier -> Spence

...aren’t negative substitutions. Pulis would have been crucified for it!

10 hours ago, Blanco said:

I disagree. Had we scored in the last few minutes it would have been a masterclass of winning football. We put the ball in the net, they didn’t. The offside decision was so close. It couldn’t be determined from what we saw and Warnock is adamant that the IT guys from both sides said it should have stood. Fine margins. I’m backing Warnock 100% as the right man for the job. Ridiculous to think that fannying about football would be the right thing for us in our situation 

Well said.

This applies as much to warfare as it does sport. Sometimes, when you don't have the resources or people to fight the opposition toe to toe, you have to come up with ways to win, or at least fight them to a stalemate, using different tactics.

It might not be pretty, but as long as its effective, thats all that really matters.

I think NW's team selections, formations and tactics are just a reflection of this. I think anyone expecting him to transform Boro into the Championship version of Liverpool is living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Blanco said:

I disagree. Had we scored in the last few minutes it would have been a masterclass of winning football. We put the ball in the net, they didn’t. The offside decision was so close. It couldn’t be determined from what we saw and Warnock is adamant that the IT guys from both sides said it should have stood. Fine margins. I’m backing Warnock 100% as the right man for the job. Ridiculous to think that fannying about football would be the right thing for us in our situation 

Hahaha this “fannying about” football is dominating almost every decent league at the moment

Just now, J.T. said:

Hahaha this “fannying about” football is dominating almost every decent league at the moment

Yes. By clubs with the finances to afford the managers and players to make it happen... 🤦‍♂️

I'm sure if Gibson gave Warnock £250 million to spend on players we'd be playing pretty football too.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ayresome7 said:

What club have avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth on the last day of the season and then been tipped from promotion the following season after losing a number of players out of contract?

This is a season of consolidation. 

Reading avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth. 
Reading lost a number of players out of contract. 
And according to Warnock’s attitude to yesterday’s game, he is tipping Reading for promotion. 

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And according to Warnock’s attitude to yesterday’s game, he is tipping Reading for promotion. 

Pretty meaningless at this stage of the season.

They are joint top, but we're only 5 games in. A lot could happen in the remaining 41 games.

Probably a bit of spin to counter a generally poor performance. Managers do that you know, to deflect criticism. 

We only narrowly avoided relegation as well...got rid of / let go a bunch of players...brought a few new ones in. We're doing a lot better as well. Who'd have thought it?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Yes. By clubs with the finances to afford the managers and players to make it happen... 🤦‍♂️

I'm sure if Gibson gave Warnock £250 million to spend on players we'd be playing pretty football too.

Rubbish mate, I'm pretty sure someone has already posted that about 8 or 9 of the top 10 in the championship did so playing attractive football. Did they all have 250m to spend? Pretty sure more than half of them had nowhere near our budget.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I love the fannying around football (as long as it’s the opposition doing it).

Who doesn’t like watching one of the big six arrogantly stroking the ball around then misplacing a pass and conceding an unnecessary goal or two?

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Reading did not avoid relegation by the skin of their teeth. They finished 8pts clear of drop zone and were in fact more or less safe before lockdown and then pretty much guaranteed it with several games to spare. So to say the survived by the skin of their teeth is stretching it.

And whether you like it or not they have got some good players in their team so to make them sound like the leagues whipping boys is also pushing it

A point v Reading in they current form is a good point imo.

• Like 4

Also when has asking for improvement become seen as being doom and gloom? As @LinoJo3 said we've had 2 full seasons of football devoid of any attacking prowess at all. In fact for 2 seasons we've only just averaged over 1 goal per game. In 92 matches we've scored 3 or more goals only 3 times. Wanting that to improve is surely a given.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dan1234 said:

Rubbish mate, I'm pretty sure someone has already posted that about 8 or 9 of the top 10 in the championship did so playing attractive football. Did they all have 250m to spend? Pretty sure more than half of them had nowhere near our budget.

I was being a bit sarcastic there...and referring more to PL teams and other top European leagues.

Obviously Championship clubs don't have anything like that kind of budget, but I think you'll also find they built their teams and playing style over a period of time...and still with larger budgets than Boro...

I don't think anyone has ever turned a club from relegation candidates to promotion winners in the space of a single season. At least not on the money we can spend.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I doubt it Warnock has never exactly been a bastion of "good" football.

Well he's never been given that kind of money to work with. Who knows what he'd come up with if he was given free rein? Oh ye of little faith! 😉

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Reading did not avoid relegation by the skin of their teeth. They finished 8pts clear of drop zone and were in fact more or less safe before lockdown and then pretty much guaranteed it with several games to spare. So to say the survived by the skin of their teeth is stretching it.

And whether you like it or not they have got some good players in their team so to make them sound like the leagues whipping boys is also pushing it

A point v Reading in they current form is a good point imo.

They finished 3 points ahead of us and picked up 4 points from their last 2 games (more than us)... so if we apparently avoided relegation by the skins of our teeth’s, then I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest that Reading weren’t much better. 

They’ve won 4 games. If you look into those games, you’ll find that most of those wins were undeserved. They are not a great side. I’m not say a point is a bad result. But to settle for a point with 30 mins to go, at home to them is depressing. And as I’ve said before, Pulis would have been slated for it.