oneBoro Forum

Is it time to abolish the FA?

A number of people - including a former FA chairman - have suggested English football needs an independent regulator to oversee the professional game. They're basically saying the FA is no longer fit for purpose, and that it can't be trusted to keep the PL in check following the Project Big Picture shambles.

Are they right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54558837

• Like 1

Abolish  the unrepresentitive nature of the FA board and replace them with true football minded people. Too many timeservers and not enough people who really know about what is needed. A start would be getting rid of Parry. Maximum 5 year stay on the board to avoid the same mistakes being made.

• Like 1

They don't need to abolish the FA...just get some competent people in.

As far as the PL is concerned I think it may be too late. It was created with the express purpose of moving away from the FA's control and being allowed to do their own thing.

If it were left to me, I'd kick all PL clubs from the League and FA cups. Their players would no longer be eligible for international duty either (which should keep the managers happy, at least).

But the FA have done bugger all to nurture and regulate football at EFL and grassroots level, as far as I can tell. Seems they're too much in the thrall (or pockets) of the PL and are too desperate to remain associated with them at any cost.

So yeah - appoint a FA board who DO actually care about the sport outside of the PL. People who will be happy to make the Championship the new top tier, negotiate their own TV deal, take a deep interest in club finances and root out any dodgy dealings...and ensure a fair distribution of money through the leagues.

One thing in the new FA "charter" I'd like to see is at least 1 annual meeting or conference with representatives from supporters' clubs, where concerns, grievances etc. can be debated and changes voted on. Put some power back in the hands of the fans.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1