oneBoro Forum

Is it time to abolish Steve Gibson?

24 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

We'd done nothing as a club from 1876 to 1997 (1990 at a push), 14 years is nothing. 

The brief period of relative success was all down to Gibson.

True story. Well said @TeaCider24 👍

• Like 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤷‍♂️

The thread title is crass to be fair. Wouldn't expect anything less from its author though...

But if he did that he wouldn't have as many posts🤠

I don’t see any poster not recognising Gibbo was vastly responsible for our days in the sun.

what is in question is our demise since the halcyon days. As a club we are unrecognisable from the club of yesteryear. The problem is some fans are willing to forgive him for the recent/ current situation based on his past record. Others feel he has more than used up the goodwill generated from many years ago

On 10/22/2020 at 2:47 AM, Erimus 63 said:

Gibson has gone from one extreme to the other. From being  highly reckless with his cash, he's now overly cautious. The squad is wafer thin now and we have Warnock proclaiming phrases like, I can't justify spending the chairman's money in these uncertain times.

That’s fair enough but being so reckless in 2017 put us in the position of signing cheap league 1 players last summer. Ironically the monk summer was far worse than this summer. The level of incompetence to sanction spending nearly £40m on central strikers when we already had bamford, gestede and (wether he wanted to leave or not) Stuani at the club was staggering.

We could have had an excellent attack that season with stuani, bamford and traore and just blew the budget on a left sided player.

11 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

I don’t see any poster not recognising Gibbo was vastly responsible for our days in the sun.

what is in question is our demise since the halcyon days. As a club we are unrecognisable from the club of yesteryear. The problem is some fans are willing to forgive him for the recent/ current situation based on his past record. Others feel he has more than used up the goodwill generated from many years ago

I think you’ll find a growing group of people who simply never experienced any glory days under gibson. The 15/16/17 year olds and obviously younger going to the games now will only ever have known championship football. Whatever gibson did in the 90s means nothing to them. Those are the ones who will get more vocal imo.

• Like 1

Thing is, if you go back 14 years and think about the unsustainable decisions Gibson may have made in the pursuit of continuous European success, you can absolutely put that down to ambitions of overachieving with our small town club. Those decisions were maybe poor in hindsight but his thinking back then undoubtedly put us in a position to reach a European cup final. Very few are gonna forget that.

The problem is 10 years later, after getting relegated, we found ourselves back in the Prem and we threw that opportunity away. Agnew given the job was such a poor decision and the change, if he felt it was necessary, almost certainly came too late anyway. And since being relegated again, we've managed to make endless mistakes in pursuit of getting promoted again. Monk, Pulis, Woodgate, all rubbish appointments. The Pulis appointment was so dumb, we didn't even consider the £50m we spent trying to make a positive attacking team before handing the reigns to someone who likes a single forward to chase balls flying over their head for 90 minutes. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Kelloe said:

Mods please delete this thread, it's an embarrassment.

I think its a perfectly reasonable debate to be had, even though its been done to death on here. 

The thread title is an embarrassment though, I'll agree with that. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

We'd done nothing as a club from 1876 to 1997 (1990 at a push), 14 years is nothing. 

The brief period of relative success was all down to Gibson.

Ah yes...back when just getting promoted to the old First Divsion was considered a big deal. If I recall correctly we became a bit of a yo-yo club in the late 80s - early 90s, until Bryan Robson came on board.

If 100,000 fans put in £50 a month, we would have £60,000,000 a year.

Some could put in less, some could put in more. Maybe we could take over our own club.

Yes, my figure of 100,000 boro fans willing to do this might be a little bit inflated.

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

I think its a perfectly reasonable debate to be had, even though its been done to death on here. 

The thread title is an embarrassment though, I'll agree with that. 

You just probably don't understand it 🤭

Nah, there was a thread called 'Is it time to abolish the FA' right at the top of the forum so it was a play on that.  

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

If 100,000 fans put in £50 a month, we would have £60,000,000 a year.

Some could put in less, some could put in more. Maybe we could take over our own club.

Yes, my figure of 100,000 boro fans willing to do this might be a little bit inflated.

I have wondered in the past whether Gibson would be open to selling part of the club to a fans trust type organisation.

Take your example, but say a more "Realistic" figure of 20,000 fans at £50 a month for a 12 months that's £12 Million, could that get maybe 10%-20% control of the club?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You just probably don't understand it 🤭

Nah, there was a thread called 'Is it time to abolish the FA' right at the top of the forum so it was a play on that.  

Fair enough 👍🏻 

It probably wouldn't look good if someone from the club read it but maybe they'll scroll as far down as this and realise the reasoning behind it. 

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Fair enough 👍🏻 

It probably wouldn't look good if someone from the club read it but maybe they'll scroll as far down as this and realise the reasoning behind it. 

I couldn't give a crap what someone from the club thought of it.  Why would anyone on here care?

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I couldn't give a crap what someone from the club thought of it.  Why would anyone on here care?

I think there's better ways to start a conversation than talking about abolishing someone. If I missed the meaning of the the heading then I'm sure it would be easy for others to do the same. 

Like you said though you couldn't give a crap so that's the end of the debate. 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think there's better ways to start a conversation than talking about abolishing someone. If I missed the meaning of the the heading then I'm sure it would be easy for others to do the same. 

Did you hit your head recently?

• Confused 1
27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I thought you felt there was no reasonable way for fans to discuss the way the club is run with the club? If that's true, what does it matter what the club thinks of what is said on a fans forum?

Whether they think we're hitting the nail on the head or think we're conspiring to hate over nothing, there's no conversation happening right now and apparently the only methods we have of speaking up as fans can't include talking about the way the club is run, they're not interested in having those conversations and have little right to judge anyone on those views unless they do.

• Like 1