oneBoro Forum

Bristol City v Boro 0-1 (Saville)

1 minute ago, boksicdink said:

Yeah the Nathan Wood substitution was a pretty stark reminder. Our only other fit in the CB at the club, who is 18 came on up front as we didnt have another striker to bring on. 

I think he was brought on to add some height defensively to counter Bristol's late desperation launching tactics and then when in position run like hell up the pitch and try to get on the end of something. Not an ideal role but for a young lad he had the energy levels to dual task for those last few remaining minutes.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UTFB! Saville and Johnson excellent tonight. Wood up front - a clear message to Gibson and Bausor 

Progress. Unmistakeable progress. We're getting more solid defensively and more slick in our passing. The signs are more positive than they have been for a while. And Roberts could be immense for us i

I think it's more just a case of him playing back in his favoured position. He clearly can't play left side of either a back 4 or a back 5. When he's played central or on the right he goes back to loo

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

we look solid and horrible to play against. teams starting to not look forward to playing us again. add a cutting edge and keep the shots against down like we have and we could quite easily start winning runs on regular basis. 

It's almost as if we have a Neil Warnock type of manager!

It's not pretty to watch, but it's effective and that'll do me.

13 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It's almost as if we have a Neil Warnock type of manager!

It's not pretty to watch, but it's effective and that'll do me.

I actually think the style of Warnock's football has surprised me. 

Yes it isn't Klopp or Barcelona but it's not quite in the same bucket as Dyche, Pulis and Allardyce either. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think he was brought on to add some height defensively to counter Bristol's late desperation launching tactics and then when in position run like hell up the pitch and try to get on the end of something. Not an ideal role but for a young lad he had the energy levels to dual task for those last few remaining minutes.

Yeah I get the reasons why he did it and it wasnt the David James upfront type decision either but it just showed we havent got much to play with. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I actually think the style of Warnock's football has surprised me. 

Yes it isn't Klopp or Barcelona but it's not quite in the same bucket as Dyche, Pulis and Allardyce either. 

I agree. Yes we try and get it quickly out of defence up top, and I still feel sometimes we lump it rather aimlessly, but I'm actually surprised by how we actually try and pass and play in the final third.

I mean...it's not really working yet, but we're trying and that's more than I expected!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Will said:

I think it's more just a case of him playing back in his favoured position. He clearly can't play left side of either a back 4 or a back 5. When he's played central or on the right he goes back to looking like one of the best CB's in the division.

Couldn't agree more. Defensively I wouldn't even say he was that bad in his aerial duels and tackles on the left hand side, I think a lot of criticism Fry got when he was playing left CB was because of how poor he was bringing the ball out of defence.

McNair is doing that job extremely well atm but he is a CM so you would expect him to be more comfortable than fry at taking people on and bringing the ball out of defence.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I agree. Yes we try and get it quickly out of defence up top, and I still feel sometimes we lump it rather aimlessly, but I'm actually surprised by how we actually try and pass and play in the final third.

I mean...it's not really working yet, but we're trying and that's more than I expected!

If we had abit of height then we would be a extremely dangerous outfit similar to what he did at QPR.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Couldn't agree more. Defensively I wouldn't even say he was that bad in his aerial duels and tackles on the left hand side, I think a lot of criticism Fry got when he was playing left CB was because of how poor he was bringing the ball out of defence.

McNair is doing that job extremely well atm but he is a CM so you would expect him to be more comfortable than fry at taking people on and bringing the ball out of defence.

Any news on the free agent? I think it was you who mentioned it might be wrong sorry ? 

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Perfect description IMO. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Still, very grateful to them for giving us that one on a platter, otherwise we'd probably have had to settle for the draw.

Is your stream only after finishing now @AnglianRed? 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Our team shape and our mentality was excellent from start to finish. It was similar to our draw against Reading, just with the only difference being that we took one of our chances that came our way. We're an absolute nuisance for opposition teams to play against - akin to us under Karanka, so I'm feeling increasingly positive about our chances of promotion this season.

We're undoubtedly going to need some luck with injuries - particularly with strikers and central defenders - and will need to get some extra squad depth in as the season develops. Bringing Wood on to play in strike last night highlights just how much Warnock is squeezing out of the thin squad at the moment. Ideally we need a fourth choice striker to see us through to January despite the fact that he may not be particularly needed after Fletcher returns in February time and probably won't be as good as the strikers we could get when the January transfer window opens. It would however at least allow Warnock the necessary squad depth needed to keep us in the play off and promotion mix until January/February time. If we're still well positioned then it's going to make signing players in January that added bit easier as all players would prefer joining a club that has a realistic chance of promotion.

Interesting to read the Bristol Live Journalists take on Boro:

"How Middlesbrough had only won one of their five games before Tuesday night seems a mystery to us. Their midfield three dictated the game, and City's trio in central areas were shut down effectively by match-winner Saville, Sam Morsy and Jonny Howson, who looked battle-hardened and well balanced to counter anything the Robins could offer up.

Warnock's defence was supremely organised, physical and effective, while Anfernee Dijksteel, Marvin Johnson and Spence all had an impact at times. If Chuba Akpom had finished one of his first-half chances the game may have been much easier than it was for the Teesiders.

Add in a fit and firing Britt Assombalonga and Warnock may be on the rise again".

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Rather remarkably we have turned from a relegation battling shambles to a team that suddenly nobody fancies playing. Stand up Neil Warnock and your coaching staff and take a bow, you deserve it. A special mention to Anfernee Dijksteel, we may have unearthed a special player here

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

How Middlesbrough had only won one of their five games before Tuesday night seems a mystery to us. Their midfield three dictated the game, and City's trio in central areas were shut down effectively by match-winner Saville, Sam Morsy and Jonny Howson, who looked battle-hardened and well balanced to counter anything the Robins could offer up.

I paid them to write that, to make me look like a tactical mastermind.

17 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I don't mean control, just think the midfield battle is ours to take in terms of winning the ball and the physical challenge of it. If that makes sense? 

Edit: I suppose in a round about way I do mean control, but in a sense of not allowing Bristol to dictate or control the midfield.

• Haha 2