oneBoro Forum
boro-unger

Bristol City v Boro 0-1 (Saville)

Enjoyed that. Never really thought we would concede and it was just whether we can score.

Feels like earlyish Karanka days. Solid at the back and workman like upfront. Will probably grind out results if we score first but haven't anything to chase a game.

January will be key for us will need that little bit extra quality in to top half to make the difference. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Delighted with the result and performance. Warnock has us playing better than the sum of our parts. Thank you Bristol for demonstrating just why you shouldn’t play fannying about football in this league. UTB 

I wouldn't call Bristol's style of football "fannying about football", not sure what style they were going for today. They were awful.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

I wouldn't call Bristol's style of football "fannying about football", not sure what style they were going for today. They were awful.

It was whats known in this division as "woody ball"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I was referring directly to our goal Dan. A direct result of “fannying about football”

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Delighted with the result and performance. Warnock has us playing better than the sum of our parts. Thank you Bristol for demonstrating just why you shouldn’t play fannying about football in this league. UTB 

Complete agree. With the possible exception of the relegated clubs, who often struggle with other aspects of the league, the quality of the league is very similar. Confidence and momentum can get you a long way 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I was referring directly to our goal Dan. A direct result of “fannying about football”

To be honest I'd say that was more down to an individual mistake, rather than a tactical preference. I have no idea (sure the defender doesn't either) why he tried to take Saville on in that position, when he could have just given the short pass to the man on his left. Baffling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

😂😂 Finally getting a bit of luck with that blatant penalty.

Think it would’ve been on the softer side tbh, but couldn’t complain if it had been given 

6 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Tonight's performance was carbon copy of Saturday against Reading and just highlights how tight the league is going to be.

Other than Norwich, I can't see any other outstanding team who we should fear. It's just a shame that we can't be little bit more offensive because the league is going to be so wide open.

It's possible that we will be a bit more attack minded when Assombalonga is back, now that Roberts is in the side.  Akpom, Assombalonga, Roberts and Tavernier aren't a bad little quartet and Fletcher when he's back is another of course.

I think at least one of the relegated sides will be up there, maybe even two or all three, but I don't see much to be worried about overall.

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

😂😂 Finally getting a bit of luck with that blatant penalty.

Honestly you see them given but after the clear pushes Bristol City players were getting away with all night; at least the ref was consistent.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• @Brunners Like the mirror of my footballing career! 😂
    • I'm guessing that our squad of 25 players next season will have a few young ones lets say 5 at around £4K a week, then say a core group of 14 at around £8K to £10K a week so lets call it £9K. Then there will likely be a few who are paid a little bit more say 4 around £12K then I'd guess say two on £20K for their "star status."  I make that a weekly bill of £234,000 and annually just over £12M. I'm guessing that SG and the Accountants will work out how much of a squad wage bill they can afford and work it backwards starting with who is already here and how much are they costing us then the difference is what NW will have to negotiate and wriggle with. There are all sorts of permutations that can be worked into that, he may prefer to gamble with padding the squad with say the likes of Wood, Wing, Spence and Coulson (or of that ilk rather than them specifically) so he can offer a bit more elsewhere, for example a Striker who is mobile and even scores goals may be deemed value for money in committing a huge dollop of that budget to. Just as an aside to me Fletcher doesn't fit that billing. Loans where parent clubs pay a big chunk will likely have to be well executed in getting the likes of Kebano back in on loan but the waiting and the chance that you don't get who you really want could leave us short. The £12M figure is just a nominal one, it could be £15M or indeed could be much lower depending upon the real financial landscape rather than the one we are hoping for. One or two of the younger players or lower paid players are likely on less than £4K or £9K so there may be more flexibility. When it comes to the names being bandied about like Bolasie I'm guessing that he will occupy one of the top salary berths if he came permanently. Like Fletcher I'm not sure that represents a good return on that level of investment, the question then becomes if not them then who?
    • What do we need now? A goalkeeper and two strikers worthy of the name, and a CB because Hall and Fry have both been missed whenever they've been out. What will we need by August? Surely that depends how many of the loanees stay or go? If they all stay, I think we've probably got enough bodies and strength in depth without bankrupting ourselves. If players start drifting back to parent clubs, we need to replace them with like-for-like. On paper, our squad today is stronger than it has been for a couple of years. I do think we could fashion a really good side over the next year, similar to the Karanka-era sides where the starting XI largely picked itself and subs made a real impact, but endlessly chopping and changing playing personnel won't help to build that consistency. Personally, I'm not a fan of loan signings for that very reason, but I accept they're a necessary evil when we don't have money to pay up front for outright acquisitions.  
    • Get what wages off the books?  Assombalonga is leaving regardless of who the manager is.  Fletcher may not leave if he signs a new deal.  Who else is there exactly? I've said this a few times because it's worth pointing out - Cardiff's wage bill went up with Warnock as the manager, not down.  People are talking about us signing Bolasie, Mendez-Laing, and any number of other players.  We've had lists of free transfers this summer put up on the forum.  These players aren't going to sign for nothing.  Bolasie might not want £70k a week like he's been getting at Everton, but he won't be coming in on the cheap either, if he comes here at all.  There's a thread up now for the summer transfer window with people putting up all kinds of amounts of players we have to sign.  If any of them are even close then the wage bill is unlikely to go down.  The signings we've already made this season won't have come cheaply either albeit they might not be at the same level as the likes of Ayala, Clayton, Gestede and Friend, who all left last summer.
    • It's ok as it is only Dans  Summer transfer thread, will wait until the MFC transfer thread comes up🤪