oneBoro Forum

Virgil Van Djiksteel

I championed this lad last season when he was getting slated. I looked at his physical attributes and thought he would be worth a go in a holding midfield role but goodness me the lad has shone like a star playing in defence this season.

He is strong and powerful with a great turn of pace but I've been extremely impressed with how he has held his own in aerial battles too. If you also add to that his reading of the game and how comfortable he is on the ball then it's even more impressive. 

I've noticed one or two weaknesses in terms of his positioning and concentration at times where he has been done with a little one two or a player running off his shoulder but that's being overly critical really considering he is learning all the time in his new role.

I'd also like to point out that young Bola is making huge strides this season. The pair of them are looking like good signings so well done to Jonny Woodgate for identifying them and for the legend Warnock and his staff for improving their games and recognising their potential in different roles.

Now let's see the same happen with young Browne who I think also has plenty of raw talent and physical attributes to make it.

One final message for the scousers. Hands off Virgil Van Djiksteel !

• Like 5

Good post. Very hard to disagree with any part of it. Dijksteel and Bola do look like they are starting to blossom. Warnock did say that he thinks Browne will get game time when we opt to play 433 so I look forward to seeing him get his chance too

• Like 1

I think the coaches we now have can improve all the players at the club... may be a coincidence but the improvement of the U23 and U18 sides may be due a little to a number of them featuring in training sessions with first team and that can only help their progress...  they seem to have the knack of giving confidence to younger players and the team spirit has changed completely because of it 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

I think the coaches we now have can improve all the players at the club... may be a coincidence but the improvement of the U23 and U18 sides may be due a little to a number of them featuring in training sessions with first team and that can only help their progress...  they seem to have the knack of giving confidence to younger players and the team spirit has changed completely because of it 

Yes OC it’s amazing the difference a coaching team that knows what it’s doing can make. I think this is building towards a good season 

• Like 2

Warnock and his backroom staff are doing excellent work with the defence. Look a lot more organised and compact. It's refreshing to see Howson, Morsy and Saville also drop into the back line and defend and then break when we are in possession.

Only thing is that we concede far too many silly free kicks in dangerous areas which will cost us goals over the course of the season.

Dijksteel is looking like the player we all expected him too be and more and credit has to go to Warnock and his backroom staff. If he can get improve his heading, then we have some player on our hands.

• Like 2

I am very happy for both Dijksteel and Bola as I spent plenty of time on here last season asking our fans to give the then 3 young lads time to settle. I was not saying that because i am some footballing expert and can spot talent from a mile off. My love for Dijksteel was purely born out of the video on Youtube of him. Lad looked such an athlete. As for Bola it was simply because a number of clubs from championship wanted him, notably Brentford. I thought are all these teams wrong about him or is it just a case the lad needs some confidence.

Even though Browne is not in team yet, the lad has enough talent to make it in this league and currently is a valuable person we can turn to if we are need something different.

Dijksteel reminds me of Omeruo during his incredible first spell here. His mobility and strength is a class above the vast majority of defenders in this division. If he keeps it up then we’ve got an excellent player.

40 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

Maybe we need to offer Woodgate a scouting role! He can’t coach or manage but it does look like he’s been able to spot a couple of decent players from L1

That’s not the worst idea I’ve ever heard. Good shout @Skinemrippers

• Like 1

I actually feel Woodgate would make a decent u23 coach. As has been pointed out he can spot a decent player when he sees one. However, something else that struck me about him was that whilst he spoke a lot of nonsense, one thing he did speak sense on during his pre-match media conferences is he seems to have an idea of how to nurture young talent to make the step up. I think that comes from his own experience as a youngster as well as the mistakes he made.

I love watching Dijksteel play. Hes got such an interesting running style. He doesn't appear to be moving that quickly until you notice him closing down the opposition and realise he is rapid.

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

Maybe we need to offer Woodgate a scouting role! He can’t coach or manage but it does look like he’s been able to spot a couple of decent players from L1

Wasn't Woodgate a scout for Liverpool, before he took up a coaching role with us?

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Have to say I've been hugely impressed with how organised and relatively comfortable we've looked so far this season.

Any team will have a few scares when the opposition press them really hard or counter very rapidly, but for the majority of games we've looked really solid.

Contrast that with last season, when I was watching games mostly through my fingers and cringing pretty much every time the opposition got out of their own half.

Warnock and the coaches deserve huge credit for turning a shambles of a squad into something resembling a decent football team.

• Like 6