oneBoro Forum

Boro v Coventry 2-0 (Assombalonga, Spence)

31 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Take away his goal and he was totally rubbish last night.

Struggled to control the ball, frequently lost it, barely took on a man, passed poorly, and crossed poorly on the rare occasions he didn't turn and try to pass it back.

We all have off days no matter what type of work you do.

At least we won as a team and we know that Spence can put on better shows than last night

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my entry.  Completed using my s-pen from my Samsung galaxy note 10+ 😆  

Some of you lot are unbelievable the way you moan 😂🤦‍♂️ What do you expect under Warnock and this squad, champagne football? Or maybe Woodgates “the leagues lyin tho’ heart thumping style of play? 

I'm delighted with the win. Warnock has worked absolute wonders with Fry, Dijksteel and McNair. This season I think we're going to be similar to our promotion winning team under Karanka, with the way

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I do wonder whether CT might be on to something (makes me feel queasy even typing that, ugh) when he said that Spence just isn't a winger or RWB. Wonder if we'd start seeing more out of him if we had him at RB again.

He just looks scared to take anyone on, it's really weird. He still beats them 9 times out of 10 when he does actually try, although he usually screws up the cross anyway.

There's 100% a player there, I just don't know what's up with him.

Was he RB when he first started? Might explain it, as wing back is a seriously challenging role. Full backs/wing backs are so important in the modern game and ours are all... not great. 

I think the back 5 is here to stay though, and to be fair, the three centre halves look excellent together - and we've got Hall in reserve too. I reckon we're seeing Warnock desperately trying to figure out who his best RWB/LWB options are.  

59 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I wouldn't be too shocked either way but I suspect if we do get promoted, he'd want to have one last go in the Prem.

If purely to ensure we stayed in the PL for more than a single season

4 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Was he RB when he first started? Might explain it, as wing back is a seriously challenging role. Full backs/wing backs are so important in the modern game and ours are all... not great. 

I think the back 5 is here to stay though, and to be fair, the three centre halves look excellent together - and we've got Hall in reserve too. I reckon we're seeing Warnock desperately trying to figure out who his best RWB/LWB options are.  

He was, yes.

• Like 1

another good result and a competent performance. how nice to see us appear in the top section when adressing the table. the key word there is competent and that for me is the reason we are what we are under warnock are where what we were under woody. one is a competent manager the other incompetent,which in turn transferes to the players and the set up. 

individually fry, dijksteel, tavernier, and mcnair are far better than last season not in ability but in the fact they do the basics correctly. betinelli, morsy, halland akpom have fitted in well, roberts and browne have given a tiny bit of flair,which is what they have in thier locker but they have shown a greater deal of restraint in not trying to overdo it ,more so in brownes case. all in all its down to compretence again and come the season end and if by some weird chance we do get promoted it wont be that we outplayed or out entertained teams it will be that we were steady away ,well drilled and competent and  played to our strengths. its what warnock does . 

re the britt and spence debate, my take is that ill trust warnock to handle spence,s development but he is raw and has faults that need adresing but also is capable of developing into a very adepy wing back if not defender. 

britt last night reverted into the britt of old ,he wasnt getting involved enogh in challenges and chasing down, he seemed uninterested when a ball wesnt within his stride pattern and looked like the game was passing him by until his goal ,which tbf he took excellently. watch any forest game and you could use the same arguements against grabban. 

3 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Tbh that 1st half was really poor showing I thought, but agree the 2nd half we stepped up the tempo and played some nice football and had more clear cut chances.

Tavernier's challenge was crucial in getting the result yesterday. Had we gone 1-0 down, Coventry would of further parked the bus making it hard for us to break them down.

We're a team with a limited skill set as things stand. There aren't many teams at this level that break down a defensive line of 5 that sits on the 18 yard box with a flat midfield four 10 yards in front of them. It wasn't particularly a case of us changing much, the big difference was Coventry pushing further forward and having a go last 20 minutes. That opened up space for us. Nothing more nothing less. Fortunately we were patient enough to wait it out and take our chances when they came.

One other thing, i would not have envied Britt playing the role he was tasked with. It was a thankless task. Good strikers score when they get their chance and he did. Fair play.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

He was, yes.

Thanks Brunners, I was wondering that. It would explain a lot, he looks absolutely lost in the wingback, winger position, no wonder if he has been coached through youth teams to play a different role

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Thanks Brunners, I was wondering that. It would explain a lot, he looks absolutely lost in the wingback, winger position, no wonder if he has been coached through youth teams to play a different role

He showed so much quickness and pace from that position that I think most felt he could naturally move up the field into an advanced role. 

Maybe his talents are just suited to the back half of the pitch for now. Work on his defensive positioning. There is a place for a RB with with pace and quickness who can advance the ball. 

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

We all have off days no matter what type of work you do.

At least we won as a team and we know that Spence can put on better shows than last night

He hasnt played a decent game this season. But then again heade a few good tackles late on when he was playing deeper. So maybe he would be better in a 4. Not seen much from him going forward 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Surely you enjoy the feeling of picking up points again after what we had to endure last season?

For me, it's all about the points rather than entertainment, yes it's frustrating on the eye especially watching on TV but I'd take that if it means a play off push and something to get excited about. (Maybe that's my competitive footballing side)

I'm not comparing us to last season though.  I don't quite understand why everyone is? Last season was an anomaly, caused by us appointing someone to the manager's job that had no business being there.  The two seasons before that we finished 5th and 7th and the bulk of this squad is still those players - Fry, Howson, Saville, McNair, Wing, Tavernier, Wing, Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson.  Dijksteel looks more than capable so far, Morsy looks like a good solid Championship player, and the same can be said for the likes of Hall, Akpom and Bettenelli.  We aren't the plucky underdogs in this league, the likes of Coventry and Wycombe are, so why act like it, unless it's to try and make things feel better?

As we've discussed plenty of times, it's not a choice between points and entertainment.  Other clubs manage both, but some Boro fans seem to have convinced themselves that you have to decide between one and the other.

Having said that, my opinion is already known so I should shut up about it, as nothing is going to change, and believe it or not, I don't want to be a downer for other people.  So I will button it on that subject from now on.

• Like 2

People always have to whinge, don't they? Unbeaten in 7, haven't conceded a goal from open play all season, we look a proper unit and there's a real togetherness in the squad for the first time in 4-5 years.

Actually guys, instead of looking to the positives, lets try and tear down a young right back starting his first full season, or, how about we have a go at Assombalonga for not playing his best in a role unsuited to him?

Get a grip and enjoy the team doing well for a change.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

People always have to whinge, don't they? Unbeaten in 7, haven't conceded a goal from open play all season, we look a proper unit and there's a real togetherness in the squad for the first time in 4-5 years.

Actually guys, instead of looking to the positives, lets try and tear down a young right back starting his first full season, or, how about we have a go at Assombalonga for not playing his best in a role unsuited to him?

Get a grip and enjoy the team doing well for a change.

Is Fry still the worst defender in the league though?

• Haha 3