oneBoro Forum

Boro v Coventry 2-0 (Assombalonga, Spence)

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, weird coincidence that 👍

I mean, it still doesn't change the fact that when everyone was complaining about him he was awful, even Warnock said as much.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my entry.  Completed using my s-pen from my Samsung galaxy note 10+ 😆  

Some of you lot are unbelievable the way you moan 😂🤦‍♂️ What do you expect under Warnock and this squad, champagne football? Or maybe Woodgates “the leagues lyin tho’ heart thumping style of play? 

I'm delighted with the win. Warnock has worked absolute wonders with Fry, Dijksteel and McNair. This season I think we're going to be similar to our promotion winning team under Karanka, with the way

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I mean, it still doesn't change the fact that when everyone was complaining about him he was awful, even Warnock said as much.

He wasn't awful but that's not really the point, is it?  Don't slag the players off for being bad unless you think they are bad, is a bit of a catch all type of thing.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not comparing us to last season though.  I don't quite understand why everyone is? Last season was an anomaly, caused by us appointing someone to the manager's job that had no business being there.  The two seasons before that we finished 5th and 7th and the bulk of this squad is still those players - Fry, Howson, Saville, McNair, Wing, Tavernier, Wing, Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson.  Dijksteel looks more than capable so far, Morsy looks like a good solid Championship player, and the same can be said for the likes of Hall, Akpom and Bettenelli.  We aren't the plucky underdogs in this league, the likes of Coventry and Wycombe are, so why act like it, unless it's to try and make things feel better?

As we've discussed plenty of times, it's not a choice between points and entertainment.  Other clubs manage both, but some Boro fans seem to have convinced themselves that you have to decide between one and the other.

Having said that, my opinion is already known so I should shut up about it, as nothing is going to change, and believe it or not, I don't want to be a downer for other people.  So I will button it on that subject from now on.

I'm genuinely interested to hear what you expect as a fan and that isn't me having a dig honestly.... Every fan has different expectations. As a paying customer and a fan I want to see us win at all costs, and if we do that by playing good football then that's a added bonus.

I'd love to see us have some identity as a club but unfortunately whilst we have Bausor and Gibson running it, we won't and fans need to get use to that. Additionally, to that I wanted a manager in the summer who we could put down foundations with for the next 3 or 4 seasons and had experience (someone like Houghton or Pearson.

I'm not knocking Warnock because he's done a good  job in such a short space of time and I like the togetherness of the team.

4 hours ago, Foogle said:

If you take away Spence's goal this was still by far his best performance of the season, and the fans know the deal with Britt by now he doesn't really offer much until he puts the ball in the back of the net.

Sorry mate, but he's been cack (nicest word I can put without breaking violations) so I wouldn't compare it to other performances this season, plus he's been on the bench a lot. He literally once again brought nothing to the side but I felt sorry that he got put out at LWB.

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He wasn't awful but that's not really the point, is it?  Don't slag the players off for being bad unless you think they are bad, is a bit of a catch all type of thing.

Wait, are you saying we can't criticise players for playing bad? Fry was awful last season, to the point Warnock has stated he "didn't get the hype" over Fry. 

Why can't we criticise players that are playing well beneath the level we've seen them reach previously?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Wait, are you saying we can't criticise players for playing bad? Fry was awful last season, to the point Warnock has stated he "didn't get the hype" over Fry. 

Why can't we criticise players that are playing well beneath the level we've seen them reach previously?

I think he's commenting on the fact mendi has criticised others for criticising players in scenarios unfavourable to them, when the same person spent a lot of the last season doing the same. It's a catch all, you can't just do it for one player then complain about others doing it for other players.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think he's commenting on the fact mendi has criticised others for criticising players in scenarios unfavourable to them, when the same person spent a lot of the last season doing the same. It's a catch all, you can't just do it for one player then complain about others doing it for other players.

Oh; in that case, sure, I agree with that. It's not a one rule for one 2nd rule for another thing.

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

No, I'm saying that anyone can criticise them if they want to but Mendieta's post is ridiculous because of the treatment he has dished out to other players.

I don't really care what Warnock thinks about a player.  He also thinks that Tav is a wingback, that Johnson deserved a new contract and that Gary Madine is worth £6m, among other things.  I'm happy to make my own mind up about things, and I trust my own judgement more than pretty much anyone else's, as arrogant as that is.

Under Karanka we also struggled to open up defences who played with 11 men behind the ball ..  Bus parking, so to speak.. 

The stats say we dominated the game, which we did .. And scoring 2 goals in the same game is some achievement! 

We will be up there this season .. 

Enjoy the ride! 

UTB

Edited by SmogDane
  • Like 4

Diggerlad I'm not familiar with the word thickle and I'm not sure if you mean thick or fickle but I do think a new word combining the two has some merit and might be a useful addition to the English language.  In many ways it is the ideal word for describing a lot of our fan base.

We are inclined to damn too soon and praise too easily it seems.

What I was endeavoring to get across was the amusement that I got from Djed and Britt scoring after a series of post saying how badly they had played and should be taken off.  Had Warnock followed fan advice we'd not have scored at all

Did anyone else think we had a case for a penalty when Coulson was tackled and their guy accused him of diving? Looked as though he was caught from one angle and from another just went down. Although there was a case for different subs to have been made, the addition of a bit of speed at that stage of the game was effective and if it keeps Tav and Roberts freshish for Saturday, can understand the thinking.

3 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Did anyone else think we had a case for a penalty when Coulson was tackled and their guy accused him of diving? Looked as though he was caught from one angle and from another just went down. Although there was a case for different subs to have been made, the addition of a bit of speed at that stage of the game was effective and if it keeps Tav and Roberts freshish for Saturday, can understand the thinking.

I thought it was a nailed on foul.  I think I might have said so on the match thread.

3 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

On 1st viewing it looked like a dive for me. I only saw it once like.

My question to people who aren't happy with the way we're playing at the moment is do you really think the squad we have are capable of playing expansive football, playing out from the back etc.?

We've seen countless times this season teams trying to do just that against us and they've paid the price for it. We don't have the technical players to do it, personally i'm quite liking the tactics at the moment in terms of picking up second balls, and trying to create overloads using the CB's stepping up into the oppositions half, it stops players doubling up on our wide players as often as we have seen in the past. There was a lot of times last night Spence was 1v1 with his full back and came inside rather than heading for the byline and crossing.

Not saying it is perfect, as we do need to move the ball quicker and with more purpose at times but it clearly works and is very effective at getting more out of a squad than what you would expect from their ability.

FWIW I thought Coulson was shocking when he came on, when i appreciate he tried to go past their full back unlike spence, yes it didn't come off which is absolutely fine, but he kept throwing himself to the floor every time he got tackled, you can't win the ball back if you're on the floor!

• Like 1