oneBoro Forum

Blackburn Rovers V Boro 0-0

Just now, Dynamo Kev said:

weird game wasnt it. i expected them to push at us and try and get up the pitch. but they just seemed to give up attacking and get me behind the ball. its almost like they played for the point at home. i wasnt expecting that sort of game at all.

Yeah a really strange game, we didn’t push on and I think you are right, Blackburn defended deep and were happy with a point. Maybe if Blackburn had their key players available, they would have been more ambitious and maybe left some gaps. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, Stewart Downing Used to play for the Boro Now at Blackburn, slow

Things we have learned this week: - Boro's younger players aren't rubbish. - Boro's squad is capable of playing good football. - Playing good football doesn't lead to you conceding 5 go

Hell no she disappeared when the circus left town. When the light creeped through the plywood on the windows it would scare me because her glass eye would shine green. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

weird game wasnt it. i expected them to push at us and try and get up the pitch. but they just seemed to give up attacking and get me behind the ball. its almost like they played for the point at home. i wasnt expecting that sort of game at all.

Perfectly understandable that they were playing for the point. They have so many players out. Even Mogga said that it was just a case of getting through this game and the weekend and then have bodies back over the international break. Dack and Armstrong missing is a huge part of offensive game. Is it 11 players out and 6 first team starters missing? I wouldn't want to remove those numbers from our squad😬

In the end it was well played by Blackburn and we dropped two points that were there for the taking. But that's nothing new in this league. Norwich dropped two points at home to Millwall despite dominating even more than we did. We keep going and imprving our game. It'll be interesting against Brentford who wants to get forward and attack. Could open up space for runners like Spence, Coulson and Tav.

• Like 2

Watched it again this morning and it is different a bit more relaxed and knowing the result. 

Well, commitment was there to see from start to final whistle but what stood out was the amount of touches in and around the box. Of course the argument could be made it was necessary with so many bodies but there were far too many predictable touches for my liking. We lack a target striker and wing man but I guess we all know that.

I would have prefered to see someone run in the box at the defenders as I seen possibly 4 to 5 chances were a penalty was there for the asking. A good striker would have made it happen. 

The other observation I made being we did not really work the keeper. Not denying we had shots, a lot blocked and wayward but why didn't someone try using a bit less power and curling a few at the corners.  

I have no doubt NW was happy with the effort but disappointed with the points... 

• Like 2

We did play well, but sometimes too much passing in very small areas .. when a wider approach  was needed.

Also - Blackburn defended really well and their blocking game was level wizard over 9000!

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Eh? We beat them 1-0 at Ewood Park in February 2019!

Warnock himself hasn't beaten them in 10 games, though.

Yeah DS is slightly off; that's our only win in the last 10 attempts I think. 

All this *** about blackburn being without x amount of player. thinking about it. we never saw roberts, morsy, hall or fletcher. all couldnt play due to being injured or as a precaution (roberts).

thats 4 first teamers not featuring and they only had 5 outfield first teamers missing. so mogga can make all the excuses he likes they are just not that good a squad imo. out tiny squad is better than theirs we are really lucky to have the likes of spence coulson bola fry and wood able to come into the first team and crack on. we are better than we thought imo.

• Like 1

I wish we had somebody a bit more instinctive up front. You look at the corners and free kicks and we seem to crowd the near post and maybe get one player round the back. Both Britt and Fry were beyond the far post with their chances. We just don’t have anybody attacking the space middle of the goal edge of the 6 yard box looking for the bits and pieces and knock downs, or dropping off in space penalty spot area. An instinctive striker would see these areas open up and gamble on the ball dropping for them there.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

An instinctive striker would see these areas open up and gamble on the ball dropping for them there.

That is our main weakness. Britt has a formula which when it works is great for him but he ins't an instinctive Striker who reads the game. If he was he wouldn't have dreamt of taking that free kick.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

That is our main weakness. Britt has a formula which when it works is great for him but he ins't an instinctive Striker who reads the game. If he was he wouldn't have dreamt of taking that free kick.

Yep agree Britt is too hit and miss for me, he's either up for the game or he's anonymous, and your right he isn't instinctive and never has been, good strikers read the game, and Britt is an average striker nothing more than that.   

• Like 1

I don't think being an instinctive striker has anything to do with him taking freekicks.  He takes them sometimes because he takes them sometimes.  He scored one at the back end of last season.  From the position it was in I'd have preferred Tavernier to take it but he didn't.  We also had people complaining about Tavernier taking freekicks instead of McNair.  Then McNair took the next one and it went straight to the keeper.  Our freekicks aren't that bad from either McNair or Tavernier.  Sometimes it goes wrong but they tend to get into the right area usually.  When it's a direct freekick you're going to see Assombalonga, Tavernier, Wing or maybe McNair taking them.  I'm not sure any of them are Beckham like so we'll have to just take what we can get.

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think being an instinctive striker has anything to do with him taking freekicks.  He takes them sometimes because he takes them sometimes.  He scored one at the back end of last season.  From the position it was in I'd have preferred Tavernier to take it but he didn't.  We also had people complaining about Tavernier taking freekicks instead of McNair.  Then McNair took the next one and it went straight to the keeper.  Our freekicks aren't that bad from either McNair or Tavernier.  Sometimes it goes wrong but they tend to get into the right area usually.  When it's a direct freekick you're going to see Assombalonga, Tavernier, Wing or maybe McNair taking them.  I'm not sure any of them are Beckham like so we'll have to just take what we can get.

Hoofing it into row 30 is just plain crude and very limited. If it was a one off then fair enough but its not the first time he has displayed such a lack of composure and finesse when skill was required. That he thought he was the best one to take the kick also showed a lack of objectivity in his role as Captain. A free kick from that position required some guile and subtlety that he lacked the wit to identify, that he then sent it skywards doesn't display a strikers instinct to me. 

• Like 3

I'm expecting a few more games like this. The price of being a very solid defence-first side with limited attacking options. 

And to be honest, as long as we come away saying "How didn't we win that, we were wasteful," rather than "Christ, we're shocking and wouldn't have scored if it went on another ten hours," then I'm happy and onboard.

Some days it'll go our way like Bristol City when we pounced on our one good chance and bagged all three points. 

29 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Hoofing it into row 30 is just plain crude and very limited. If it was a one off then fair enough but its not the first time he has displayed such a lack of composure and finesse when skill was required. That he thought he was the best one to take the kick also showed a lack of objectivity in his role as Captain. A free kick from that position required some guile and subtlety that he lacked the wit to identify, that he then sent it skywards doesn't display a strikers instinct to me. 

Wasn't he the last person to score a freekick for us, so why shouldn't he take it?  

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12031383/middlesbrough-1-3-cardiff

He mishit a freekick, that's all.