oneBoro Forum

Blackburn Rovers V Boro 0-0

Sorry, you confused me for a bit there as I was thinking about a game against Reading where he scored a penalty, which was more recently than the one you've mentioned here.  You're going back 3 seasons to a terrible penalty he took.  This is what I remember from the time but it's not exactly a perfect memory.  I don't remember a massive argument between Leadbitter and Assombalonga.  I remember Assombalonga grabbing the ball to take it and then Leadbitter letting him have it.  I remember Assombalonga being completely bereft of any confidence at that point in time and I thought Leadbitter allowed him to take it for that reason.  I also have a hazy memory that Leadbitter had in fact missed a penalty a few weeks beforehand himself?  Leadbitter took penalties that season even when Assombalonga was on the pitch so his attitude clearly wasn't an issue, even if you're picking out one example to try and suggest that it was. 

I don't remember seeing him arguing with anyone last night about the freekick either, so why even bring that up?  Him and Tav were stood over it talking to each other, there wasn't an argument that I saw.  And as he clearly doesn't take every direct freekick that we get, let's assume that his attitude to set piece opportunities isn't as terrible as you're trying to make it out to be.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, Stewart Downing Used to play for the Boro Now at Blackburn, slow

Things we have learned this week: - Boro's younger players aren't rubbish. - Boro's squad is capable of playing good football. - Playing good football doesn't lead to you conceding 5 go

Hell no she disappeared when the circus left town. When the light creeped through the plywood on the windows it would scare me because her glass eye would shine green. 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm pretty sure the free kick Britt took, he wasn't trying to get it up and down so much, he was trying to smash it with as much power as he could so Pears couldn't do much about it and get it high enough that it wouldn't just be blocked.

The ball went to the left of the wall IIRC, if he wanted to get it up and over it would have more likely hit the wall or gone over it.

I think he was trying to do the right thing in the circumstances, I think it was too close for anyone in our team to attempt getting it over the wall and back down. It's a difficult task for good free kick takers, never mind our pretty average ones (certainly average at scoring them).

He was trying to smash it in the top corner I thought and take the wall out of it.

I can’t get over the posts on a ballooned free kick. No one knows what he was attempting but him but the fact remains, it was a undeniable diabolical attempt from a professional. Can we move on now... 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sorry, you confused me for a bit there as I was thinking about a game against Reading where he scored a penalty, which was more recently than the one you've mentioned here.  You're going back 3 seasons to a terrible penalty he took.  This is what I remember from the time but it's not exactly a perfect memory.  I don't remember a massive argument between Leadbitter and Assombalonga.  I remember Assombalonga grabbing the ball to take it and then Leadbitter letting him have it.  I remember Assombalonga being completely bereft of any confidence at that point in time and I thought Leadbitter allowed him to take it for that reason.  I also have a hazy memory that Leadbitter had in fact missed a penalty a few weeks beforehand himself?  Leadbitter took penalties that season even when Assombalonga was on the pitch so his attitude clearly wasn't an issue, even if you're picking out one example to try and suggest that it was. 

I don't remember seeing him arguing with anyone last night about the freekick either, so why even bring that up?  Him and Tav were stood over it talking to each other, there wasn't an argument that I saw.  And as he clearly doesn't take every direct freekick that we get, let's assume that his attitude to set piece opportunities isn't as terrible as you're trying to make it out to be.

We clearly see and recall different things then.

58 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

We clearly see and recall different things then.

Sisyphean! Just remember this when there is a urge to counter persistent posting.. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My point is that for some reason Britt can't control the trajectory of the ball on a regular basis. For a professional footballer that is a very poor trait and smacks of a lack of dedication and/or practice. With the technology in today's game it's something that he should have eliminated from his game. If NW can be told that Roberts muscles are only 60% of what they should be then a few slow motion, frame by frame videos of Britt getting too much of the wrong part of his foot under the ball and at the wrong angle isn't rocket science.

Remember this one:

"Boro were on course for an opening night Championship win at Luton Town as they led 3-2 when they were awarded a penalty in the 81st minute. However, Assombalonga blazed over from the spot"

It wasn't just a bad effort on the night its a consistent and recurring problem.

A quote from your own article? 😉

• Haha 1