oneBoro Forum

Brentford v Boro 0-0

3 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Roberts must play .. He must be hungry after those games benched!
As  long as he doesn't make it into a personal dribble fest .. 

Thing is people do tend to dribble a bit when they're hungry... 😁

Anyway, on to the game. Brentford seem to be in an indifferent run of form, following a great start (W2 D2 L1). Their overall stats to date are very average - W4 D3 L3 F17 A12. They score plenty, but also ship a fair few.

Both clubs drew their last games, so I'm hoping Boro retain their record of having the meanest defence in the league and nick a win with a late goal (since we apparently don't do early ones). Brentford are at home though, so expecting another tough game and yet again would be okay with a point.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction Nearly 9 months after my last matchday thread  I have fetched my dusty box of gifs from the loft ready for action. Ironically my last thread was our away trip to Brentford last seaso

It is progress. People need to remember where we nearly ended up last season. I can't believe the moaning.

I can't understand how anyone can sit there and say this is the same as Pulis. It is closer to what we saw under Karanka though I still wouldn't say it's really the same. It really goes to show just h

Posted Images

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Thing is people do tend to dribble a bit when they're hungry... 😁

Anyway, on to the game. Brentford seem to be in an indifferent run of form, following a great start (W2 D2 L1). Their overall stats to date are very average - W4 D3 L3 F17 A12. They score plenty, but also ship a fair few.

Both clubs drew their last games, so I'm hoping Boro retain their record of having the meanest defence in the league and nick a win with a late goal (since we apparently don't do early ones). Brentford are at home though, so expecting another tough game and yet again would be okay with a point.

Thats the thing at the moment, home advantage means nothing. Just look how many away wins there has been this season. Therefore its an obvious win for Boro. 0-2.

Well, we were competitive at Brentford with Woodgate in charge.  Arguably, the team we will put out on Saturday will be better than the one we put out in that game, and at the same time, the Brentford team will be worse.  I don't suppose any of that really means anything mind but I think we should feel confident about being able to get a result of some sort down there.

• Like 1

Difficult game this one. Will be happy with a point, but feel that we can beat anyone this year. Realistically I think we will lose though as we simply don't score enough and I don't think we can keep Brentford from scoring. Akpom and Roberts for Britt and Coulson. Otherwise unchanged from the Blackburn game. Might even keep Coulson on and bench Roberts.

16 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Difficult game this one. Will be happy with a point, but feel that we can beat anyone this year. Realistically I think we will lose though as we simply don't score enough and I don't think we can keep Brentford from scoring. Akpom and Roberts for Britt and Coulson. Otherwise unchanged from the Blackburn game. Might even keep Coulson on and bench Roberts.

Well your happy positivity didn’t last very long BD 🤷‍♂️

A draw away from home against a likely top 8 probably even top 4 side has to be seen as a decent result but right now three points would look a lot better on the league table. We have to start scoring and as its unlikely Brentford will be parking the bus there should be gaps and some space to exploit but we need to convert those chances.

Here's a question, if Warnock does win this game, do we herald him as the second coming or just accept that actually the teams in this division aren't that good and a good manager, regardless of style, is actually all this team/squad really needs to be challenging for top 6?

18 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Here's a question, if Warnock does win this game, do we herald him as the second coming or just accept that actually the teams in this division aren't that good and a good manager, regardless of style, is actually all this team/squad really needs to be challenging for top 6?

Going to hedge my bests.............................both!

15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think the whole Covid situation and lack of fans is also having an effect, causing teams to play differently and leading to some strange results, but at the moment, the league is looking very open, with no standout teams emerging so far.

So it is quite possible that any half-decent team with a competent manager can be contenders, based on what we've seen so far.

Boro have arguably the most competent manager in the league, so why not us?

10 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

The best matchday thread of the season for me Well done mate.

I have a funny feeling we will see Akpom, Britt and Roberts all start together for this game.

I feel fairly confident of getting some sort of result so I am going for a 1-1 draw and us pulling back the draw late on.

Must be you posted it again 🤘

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

He's a good manager, I think we can say that already without any issue, just based on some of what he's done in his career.  There doesn't appear to be any exceptional teams in the Championship this season but it is still early I suppose.  Our recent league finishes have shown that the squad is a reasonable one albeit we've lost a few players over time.  Some of our players would get into most of the teams at this level in my opinion.  Last season we had a novice in charge who completely changed his own plans inside two games, and we struggled as a result of those two things.  This season we obviously don't have that and we should be much improved simply as a result of that. 

You can also argue that the squad now is better than the one that ended last season.  Bettinelli is a better GK than Pears or he certainly bloody should be.  Morsy looks better than Clayton did last season.  Akpom is a clear improvement on Gestede, and Roberts only managed a few games under Woodgate.  If we can get at least 25 games out of him then he's an improvement on himself last season.  Dijksteel and Bola both look better this season, so they improve us in terms of where they both were.  Wood is a prospect that people have been talking about for a while now so getting some opportunities is a good thing.  I'd say there is only Hall who doesn't look like an improvement on what we had before, but he should still end up being ok at this level.  On top of that you can say that Wing looks a shadow of himself, well when we've seen him that is.  We look a little light up front because Fletcher is injured, and we couldn't quite add to the attacking positions around the strikers.  Similarly, Hall being out makes us look a bit light at the back although Wood should be getting as many chances as possible in my opinion.  I have no issue at all with him being our next man in.  A smaller squad obviously leaves you open to losing players and struggling but it also means that everyone is involved most of the time.  It wouldn't surprise me if we faded in the second half of the season due to tiredness rather than anything else, but in terms of the group we should be aiming for top 6, as I'm sure Warnock is.