oneBoro Forum

Brentford v Boro 0-0

I can't understand how anyone can sit there and say this is the same as Pulis. It is closer to what we saw under Karanka though I still wouldn't say it's really the same. It really goes to show just how pathetic Pulis' brand of defending is, there's very little thought that goes into it, it's just "More men in defence and midfield means less goals conceded." Any two-bit manager could defend like that and it didn't even keep us clean sheets, Randolph still had to work hard to keep the ball out the goal.

Even worse, it made us terrible at attacking and scoring goals because nobody was ever in the right positions at the top end of the pitch. The higher up the pitch you can defend the more likely you are to have those players still in the right positions when you receive the ball. That's rarely something we saw under Pulis.

Make no mistake, when it comes to defense vs. attack, clearly our first concern under Warnock is not conceding and losing games. But execution of not conceding goals is heavily intertwined with scoring them at the other end in the modern game, where you defend and how conservative or aggressive you do it is something that puts Warnock and Pulis in different brackets of a defensive coach.

• Like 6
  • Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction Nearly 9 months after my last matchday thread  I have fetched my dusty box of gifs from the loft ready for action. Ironically my last thread was our away trip to Brentford last seaso

It is progress. People need to remember where we nearly ended up last season. I can't believe the moaning.

I can't understand how anyone can sit there and say this is the same as Pulis. It is closer to what we saw under Karanka though I still wouldn't say it's really the same. It really goes to show just h

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I can't understand how anyone can sit there and say this is the same as Pulis. It is closer to what we saw under Karanka though I still wouldn't say it's really the same. It really goes to show just how pathetic Pulis' brand of defending is, there's very little thought that goes into it, it's just "More men in defence and midfield means less goals conceded." Any two-bit manager could defend like that and it didn't even keep us clean sheets, Randolph still had to work hard to keep the ball out the goal.

Even worse, it made us terrible at attacking and scoring goals because nobody was ever in the right positions at the top end of the pitch. The higher up the pitch you can defend the more likely you are to have those players still in the right positions when you receive the ball. That's rarely something we saw under Pulis.

Make no mistake, when it comes to defense vs. attack, clearly our first concern under Warnock is not conceding and losing games. But execution of not conceding goals is heavily intertwined with scoring them at the other end in the modern game, where you defend and how conservative or aggressive you do it is something that puts Warnock and Pulis in different brackets of a defensive coach.

Totally agree. 

Yeah I dont think its as bad as pulis either. But I also wouldn't say its close to karanka. Ak always started every game with attacking full backs, 3 attacking midfielders and a striker. Yes it was built on being solid but he always ensured we had the players on the pitch to make a difference when we got forward. We have one of those in roberts and hes not being used for whatever reason. 

At the moment, id say he's closer to pulis than ak, though not nearly as bad as the 5 Central midfielders era. Maybe if he had more attacking, creative players in the squad hed be more on ak's level but the roberts situation doesn't fill me with hope - in fact it has shades of Harrison and van la parra. 

25 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We really aren’t going to go up, no chance. 

For those, including yourself, who think we have no chance of going up this season, I guess the question is who in this league really prevents that from happening? Especially when you don't even think a good January window would make a difference.

I'm not taking the *** btw I'm genuinely wondering. We've played 4 of the teams above us and whilst they've been good enough to put them in the position they're in, we took 5 points from those games which is a decent haul. We've come away from a few games already like today, Reading and Blackburn in the week where a couple of decent attacking players could have really made the difference so I think that's what makes people think January is important, or at least how it could be decisive in finishing top 6.

It’s better than Pulis. Both were light years better than Woodgate. We were in the deepest possible *** no more than 4 months ago. I don’t think we are good enough to go up but I’m just happy that we are competing in this division. Enjoy it and let’s see where we go.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

For those, including yourself, who think we have no chance of going up this season, I guess the question is who in this league really prevents that from happening? Especially when you don't even think a good January window would make a difference.

I'm not taking the *** btw I'm genuinely wondering. We've played 4 of the teams above us and whilst they've been good enough to put them in the position they're in, we took 5 points from those games which is a decent haul. We've come away from a few games already like today, Reading and Blackburn in the week where a couple of decent attacking players could have really made the difference so I think that's what makes people think January is important, or at least how it could be decisive in finishing top 6.

We need to be a bit more ambitious if we are to have any chance of finishing in the top 6, having watched us for 10 games, I can’t see us challenging the top 6 and after a good start, we’ll gradually drop down to mid table if we carry on the way we are, which to be fair is all I expected of this season.

We are a good solid unit, but not pretty to watch, we lack inspiration and that cleverness that is needed to win games. 

The first half against Blackburn was more attacking, but all we really did was pump endless crosses into the box, the second half was mundane at the very most, as was today’s match.

We have a system that stifles the opposition, we man mark the *** out of the other team which is great but it does make us inflexible when it comes to game changing substitutions. 

8 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We need to be a bit more ambitious if we are to have any chance of finishing in the top 6, having watched us for 10 games, I can’t see us challenging the top 6 and after a good start, we’ll gradually drop down to mid table if we carry on the way we are, which to be fair is all I expected of this season.

We are a good solid unit, but not pretty to watch, we lack inspiration and that cleverness that is needed to win games. 

The first half against Blackburn was more attacking, but all we really did was pump endless crosses into the box, the second half was mundane at the very most, as was today’s match.

We have a system that stifles the opposition, we man mark the *** out of the other team which is great but it does make us inflexible when it comes to game changing substitutions. 

That doesn't really explain who you think would do better than us at what you don't think we are capable of doing? Especially so much as to expect us to drop into midtable and stay there regardless of any signings made in January. You make very valid points about what we do and what we need to do, I just don't look at any other team and see how they are so decisively better than us, so much so to see us end up midtable.

26 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That doesn't really explain who you think would do better than us at what you don't think we are capable of doing? Especially so much as to expect us to drop into midtable and stay there regardless of any signings made in January. You make very valid points about what we do and what we need to do, I just don't look at any other team and see how they are so decisively better than us, so much so to see us end up midtable.

I don’t think we have money for January signings, I can’t see COVID going away anytime soon and I just don’t think the figures add up. I’m also not entirely convinced that Warnock will suddenly adopt a different mentality. We have an attacking midfielder who barely gets a game due to our cautious approach, would that suddenly change?  

I’m not going to name teams that are better than us and will therefore finish above us because I believe that the team and the managers inhibitions are going to stop us progressing regardless of what anyone else does. As an earlier poster mentioned, it’s better to win 3 and lose 3 than draw 6. 

10 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I don’t think we have money for January signings, I can’t see COVID going away anytime soon and I just don’t think the figures add up. I’m also not entirely convinced that Warnock will suddenly adopt a different mentality. We have an attacking midfielder who barely gets a game due to our cautious approach, would that suddenly change?  

I’m not going to name teams that are better than us and will therefore finish above us because I believe that the team and the managers inhibitions are going to stop us progressing regardless of what anyone else does. As an earlier poster mentioned, it’s better to win 3 and lose 3 than draw 6. 

But our accomplishments are literally measured against the other teams in the division? That's how it works? There are, right now, 17 teams who are sat below us because regardless of our philosophy or capabilities, they just don't have as many points on the board. Of course the quality in the rest of the division matters. The way you're putting it makes it sound like we'd finish midtable even if we were in League One, League Two, National League etc. There has to be teams who you think are better than we are if you're convinced we can't even come close to competing with them. You think we'll finish in midtable but can't even name one side who you think are better than us let alone 6, 7 or 8?

Considering we started the season thinking we had a squad that had no decent fullbacks, young wingbacks and Marvin Johnson. A overloaded, but average midfield, and generally an unbalance squad that gave us little security in any formation.

I think we should all be pretty happy with what we have, every player has stepped up, the players fights for the team and the club. 

Like many, I'm nervous for the full 90+ minutes, but apart from the barnsley cup game, the team have given it all and satisfied what i expect as a fan, and more than i expected after last season.

Anything better than what we have now is a bonus

27 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

But our accomplishments are literally measured against the other teams in the division? That's how it works? There are, right now, 17 teams who are sat below us because regardless of our philosophy or capabilities, they just don't have as many points on the board. Of course the quality in the rest of the division matters. The way you're putting it makes it sound like we'd finish midtable even if we were in League One, League Two, National League etc. There has to be teams who you think are better than we are if you're convinced we can't even come close to competing with them. You think we'll finish in midtable but can't even name one side who you think are better than us let alone 6, 7 or 8?

Ok I’ll play the game. 

Norwich

Bournemouth

Stoke

Swansea

Reading

Watford