• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction Nearly 9 months after my last matchday thread  I have fetched my dusty box of gifs from the loft ready for action. Ironically my last thread was our away trip to Brentford last seaso

It is progress. People need to remember where we nearly ended up last season. I can't believe the moaning.

I can't understand how anyone can sit there and say this is the same as Pulis. It is closer to what we saw under Karanka though I still wouldn't say it's really the same. It really goes to show just h

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Of the three we've played, none of them looked better than us.

Thats because were the masters of containing teams and making them scrap - basically bringing them to our level. Those teams will have more chances and shots against 22 other teams in the league. Which is a credit to us - but also means we can't judge teams on what they'll do across the season by what they do against us.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Thats because were the masters of containing teams and making them scrap - basically bringing them to our level. Those teams will have more chances and shots against 22 other teams in the league. Which is a credit to us - but also means we can't judge teams on what they'll do across the season by what they do against us.

Very true. I think in order to compete at the top end of the table, we will need to start putting away some of the weaker teams in the division, whilst restricting the better teams. We have had a difficult fixture list so far and done well, so it will be interesting how we do against the likes of Derby and Millwall etc after the international break. I think it’s hard to manage expectations this season after the last few, and lots of fans are expecting a play off push. 

25 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Ok I’ll play the game. 

Norwich

Bournemouth

Stoke

Swansea

Reading

Watford

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Reading will be anywhere near the top come the end of the season. 

I do think Brentford and Cardiff will be well above us by the end of the season though. Neither looked particularly great against us but, as NB4 said, that’s due to our main tactic being to turn every game into a scrap. But they both look to actually try to beat teams rather than settling for draws so will pick up more points than us over the course of the season. 

I think we are at least on a par with Stoke and Reading, but wouldn't quibble the other four, but would still not bet against being in the mix at the end of the season, my concern is if we did get up, how many of our players are Prem quality, because there is no way we can afford to splash cash to any great extent and unless we plan for a sort of yo-yo period hoping that some players will accept contracts reflecting that, we could be trading the frying pan for the fire

• Like 1

Fantastic point away from home. Keep the points rolling over till January hope we get 1/2 wide men how can score/assist. Fantastic effort from all the players at least we can be proud of them . Makes a massive difference in to your week looking forward to a game UTB

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

Fantastic point away from home. Keep the points rolling over till January hope we get 1/2 wide men how can score/assist. Fantastic effort from all the players at least we can be proud of them . Makes a massive difference in to your week looking forward to a game UTB

Will those 1/2 wide men be competing for Roberts’ spot on the bench? 😉

Considering our players, injuries and financial resources, I can’t imagine any other manager that would have done a better job than what Warnock has done in his short time with us. Just because we’ve got within a sniffing distance of the play offs and automatic promotion spots, fans shouldn’t start to expect us to get there. We simply don’t have the individual quality that other teams up there have. Let’s not forget the fact that the vast majority of this team were scrapping in a relegation battle before Warnock arrived. We’re in the good position that we are because Warnock has drilled our team into a highly effective unit that can match teams with higher individual quality. We’re still clearly a work in progress as we lack in quite a few areas such as being able to start in a formation with two good quality wingers (Roberts plus a Bolasie or Grosicki) and a dominant CB who will get crucial set-piece goals in these tight 0-0 games. Warnock knows exactly what he is doing so we just need to let him complete his squad build.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CrazyL said:

Reading who have been gubbed 3-0 at home twice this week? 

It was only a couple of weeks ago that we should just be grateful of a point against them.  I guess they're rubbish now though.

I think they'll falter as well mind.

3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I can't understand how anyone can sit there and say this is the same as Pulis. It is closer to what we saw under Karanka though I still wouldn't say it's really the same. It really goes to show just how pathetic Pulis' brand of defending is, there's very little thought that goes into it, it's just "More men in defence and midfield means less goals conceded." Any two-bit manager could defend like that and it didn't even keep us clean sheets, Randolph still had to work hard to keep the ball out the goal.

Even worse, it made us terrible at attacking and scoring goals because nobody was ever in the right positions at the top end of the pitch. The higher up the pitch you can defend the more likely you are to have those players still in the right positions when you receive the ball. That's rarely something we saw under Pulis.

Make no mistake, when it comes to defense vs. attack, clearly our first concern under Warnock is not conceding and losing games. But execution of not conceding goals is heavily intertwined with scoring them at the other end in the modern game, where you defend and how conservative or aggressive you do it is something that puts Warnock and Pulis in different brackets of a defensive coach.

I stand when I say it, and sometimes I even throw in a little salute.

I think a few games this season have been Pulis like - Watford maybe, QPR, Barnsley at home, Cardiff maybe.  It's not like we've been an attacking force this season and have just been unlucky not to score lots of goals.  I do think the basic game plan is different to Pulis though yeah.  The problem is when that isn't working and we're struggling to get much going in an attacking sense, and that's when I feel we look a bit like we did at times under Pulis, but that stands to reason I suppose.  The difference between then and now is that under Pulis the default setting was defend, now it's not the default setting but when things aren't working so well that's what we move towards.

• Haha 1