Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
BearSmog

Brentford v Boro 0-0

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

It does sound better then saying we have won 4 games from 11..¬†ūüėā

lets be honest to most of them draws deserved more. our lack of scoring prowess has cost us a good few points hasnt it. but because we are stronger in other areas these games we aint winning the opposition get nothing. its really promising to me. as even the best teams in town get punished for not taking chances. but we have been in a position to be so dominant the other teams have not been troubling us all game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

lets be honest to most of them draws deserved more. our lack of scoring prowess has cost us a good few points hasnt it. but because we are stronger in other areas these games we aint winning the opposition get nothing. its really promising to me. as even the best teams in town get punished for not taking chances. but we have been in a position to be so dominant the other teams have not been troubling us all game.

Just wait until we play Wycombe, we'll thrash them, ooh, 1-0!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to touch on the 6 draws or 2 wins/4 losses arguement. If someone says 6 draws, you cant then turn around and say but what if you took a risk and got more points from the 4 losses - thats not how it works!

 

The underlying facet of this question is not how the points are earned but rather who they are earned AND LOST against. We have seen the damage that can be caused when losing to teams around you (didnt we lost to Bournmouth and Watford in a week when chasing top 2 under AK?) so a point at least would have been NW priority out of this game, not just to keep out points ticking over but also to limit Brentford to 1 gained. I was happy with the point before, I am happy with the point after. Regardless of whether people thought we could have flipped the coin and gone for the win, NW remained focussed on his minimum and achieved it. I was never a fan of him before he came to us but the transformation has been unbelieveable and arguing about whether we should have got 6 points away to Blackburn and Brentford is much better than hoping teams below us get points deductions and more of Charltons players refuse to play on.

 

Roberts not even featuring is weird, and as we have seen in recent times with Bamford and Harrison, just because they dont play here doesnt mean they arent good enough - its just at the time their qualities seemingly werent what the manager was looking for. Even Traore took a while to get starts and win most of us over as we thought he was too much of a risk with minimal end product.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Just wait until we play Wycombe, we'll thrash them, ooh, 1-0!

yes totally dominating and winning 1-0 with an 81st minute goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

Just to touch on the 6 draws or 2 wins/4 losses arguement. If someone says 6 draws, you cant then turn around and say but what if you took a risk and got more points from the 4 losses - thats not how it works!

 

The underlying facet of this question is not how the points are earned but rather who they are earned AND LOST against. We have seen the damage that can be caused when losing to teams around you (didnt we lost to Bournmouth and Watford in a week when chasing top 2 under AK?) so a point at least would have been NW priority out of this game, not just to keep out points ticking over but also to limit Brentford to 1 gained. I was happy with the point before, I am happy with the point after. Regardless of whether people thought we could have flipped the coin and gone for the win, NW remained focussed on his minimum and achieved it. I was never a fan of him before he came to us but the transformation has been unbelieveable and arguing about whether we should have got 6 points away to Blackburn and Brentford is much better than hoping teams below us get points deductions and more of Charltons players refuse to play on.

 

Roberts not even featuring is weird, and as we have seen in recent times with Bamford and Harrison, just because they dont play here doesnt mean they arent good enough - its just at the time their qualities seemingly werent what the manager was looking for. Even Traore took a while to get starts and win most of us over as we thought he was too much of a risk with minimal end product.

Great post Chip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely if we swapped Coulson and Spence for Browne and Roberts our chances of scoring goes up massively, the flip side to this is that our chance of conceding goes up too. But surely in our home games and also away to the lesser sides it should be worth the risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Its a pretty easy assumption to make based on what you said. 

So basically you really had nothing of substance to try and stir things up and headed down the wrong track.. 

 

Come On Reaction GIF

Edited by sanddancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sanddancer i was asking in case I was wrong. I would not know how to search peoples previous posts.

I find it odd you would not be happy when we are CURRENTLY exceeding your expectations.

Its almost as if you are not going to be happy regardless of whether we are doing well or not as yoy will pick out flaws regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Warnock has said Brentford were too strong in midfield to risk overcommitting by bringing Roberts on.

Which suggests he sees him as a bit of a luxury player and won't be starting many games while he's here.

Yeah except this was absolutely rubbish. They weren't that strong in midfield for one thing, and he brought on Johnson who is hardly a midfield enforcer. If he felt they were too strong in midfield he could have changed his formation to try to counter that and get the win. He didn't bring him on because he was happy with the point and to contain them and thats it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

So basically you really had nothing of substance to try and stir things up and headed down the wrong track.. 

 

Come On Reaction GIF

 

20201108_125944.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There you go, you seemed to indicate that 3 more players would have us in the top 10. So I'm guessing you think we'll finish below that, if so we must be exceeding your expectations? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@sanddancer i was asking in case I was wrong. I would not know how to search peoples previous posts.

I find it odd you would not be happy when we are CURRENTLY exceeding your expectations.

Its almost as if you are not going to be happy regardless of whether we are doing well or not as yoy will pick out flaws regardless.

I predicted a end of season finish based on transfers and we are 11 games in so question how are we exceeding my expectations and would you know my mood? 

Its obvious your intent was to be critical of others but misinterpreted your almosts and facts.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I predicted a end of season finish based on transfers and we are 11 games in so question how are we exceeding my expectations and would you know my mood? 

Its obvious your intent was to be critical of others but misinterpreted your almosts and facts.. 

That is why i put currently in cap locks when referring to your expectations.

I am happy to leave it at that as I dont expect we will agree but that is totally fine. We can disagree and remain civilised and maintain harmony on the board as a whole.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Donnyboro said:

It’s very strange. Don’t buy into all this fitness thing do you?

I honestly don't know mate.  When he was playing and being benched in alternate games I could believe it because Warnock's saying he can only manage one game per week in his opinion, or the sports science people are, whoever decides those things.  He'll play one and miss one until such time as we feel he can manage more than that. 

This past week though we've played three games and he hasn't played a minute.  Warnock has routinely mentioned the size of the squad and this week we've had players missing - Morsy, Akpom returning from illness, Saville yesterday.  Wing came into the side against Brentford, Warnock apparently talked his performance up, I didn't really see it myself.  I wasn't one of those saying how rubbish he was throughout the match day thread but I didn't think he played well.  Being kind to him I thought he looked very rusty, as you might expect, and Brentford was a tricky game to come into in that situation.  Wing was playing the more advanced midfield role so Roberts could have played there but wasn't given an opportunity.  And this comes after Warnock said he was annoyed at himself for not bringing him on against Blackburn.  It seems a bit contradictory to me. 

For all the praise of how we're doing, this week we've scored one goal in three games, and that one goal came in the 81st minute from Johnson of all people.  If Roberts can't get involved in games like these, when we are struggling to score a goal, then I'm not sure when he will be in the team because you're not going to bring him in to make you more secure defensively are you!  We play three central defenders and usually three fairly hard working midfielders as well as our full backs.  There's lots of praise for our defenders this season so maybe we can 'risk' a more attacking player with some belief that we won't suddenly start shipping goals.  Otherwise what's the point in Roberts being here when he's not even coming off the bench to try and help us find a winner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...