oneBoro Forum

Wilf Mannion in Ireland 1953

Hi all hope you dont mind me posting here, wasn't sure if there was a topic for history or past players. Found this pic recently of Wilf Mannion (left) playing an exhibition match in the "Mardyke" in Cork, Ireland in 1953.

Florrie Burke pic.jpg

• Like 4

My granded grew up with Mannion at South Bank St Peter's. They used to play in the same position and unfortunately my grandad wasn't quite the same standard as Wilf. My grandad said Wilf would often feign injury to allow my grandad to play.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A lovely humble man...  once asked him if he envied the money modern footballers earned and he said no....just happy he was able to enjoy a career doing something he loved, claimed he wasn't even the best footballer in his family 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 AM, Humpty said:

My granded grew up with Mannion at South Bank St Peter's. They used to play in the same position and unfortunately my grandad wasn't quite the same standard as Wilf. My grandad said Wilf would often feign injury to allow my grandad to play.

Maybe that's what Ayala was doing... just being a nice guy by faking all his injuries.

• Haha 1