oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

See no reason why he can't start on bench and come on if required...if Sav and Morsy fit  Would rather he was rested against Derby as odds more in our favour. Either way, think he will be rotated at some point in next three games and wouldn't be surprised to see Howson given a break either before Xmas

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny isn't it?  Fry is playing well, McNair is brilliant apparently and Dijksteel is a 'beast'.  And yet we can't possibly risk playing attacking players in attacking positions ahead of them?  I

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Borodane said:

If we are serious about playoffs we need to avoid losing against direct rivals which Norwich are. I reckon Derby is a game where we can better play 4 at the back and put an extra attacker on.

I'd play 3-5-2 and try dominate the midfield against Norwich

6 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

See no reason why he can't start on bench and come on if required...if Sav and Morsy fit  Would rather he was rested against Derby as odds more in our favour. Either way, think he will be rotated at some point in next three games and wouldn't be surprised to see Howson given a break either before Xmas

Howson has had 2x2 weeks break this season already. Can't see why he needs another break.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Toughest home test so far but in my opinion and probably contrevertial to most I would like to see us approach this game in a very cavalier and gung ho way.

Get at their throats as fast as possible with our most skillful attacking players and if that means Roberts and Watmore starting then so be it.

Watmore for certain will want to show he his best is back and will relish playing Norwich.

Too many teams give respect to Norwich and yes ok they can get results anywhere, but frighten them with pace and a direct style then I really believe we can better them.

Get into a 3 goal lead then defend with aplomb!

If that happens I'll do a Bernie Slaven and show my *** in the window at MIMA.

(thats the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, you heathens!)

7 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Warnock's just said on TalkSPORT that he doesn't think 5 substitutes will benefit us at all, because of the limited numbers in our squad.

As expected.

I think that confirms that he clearly doesn't rate certain players currently within the first team squad then?

4 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I read somewhere this week that Farke didn't rate Robert's ability to get back and defend which is why he struggled for game time at Norwich.

Great as an attacking threat going forward but a liability when out of possession. It would appear that Warnock has perhaps arrived at the same conclusion and therefore unless we are behind and chasing a game he is uncomfortable in using him. That we haven't been chasing many games this season is probably the reason that we haven't seen much of the lad.

We've got a team full of more defensive minded players.

24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

And don't win the games that we are drawing.  It's important to remember that bit as well 🙂

True but Warnock's mantra is more geared to not getting beat and building up an invincibility factor rather than gamble and drop a point. Granted there are two more points up for grabs with a win but that isn't how he has built his teams in the past and his methodology has proven successful plus it saved us from going down. 

To date all I have seen from Roberts is trickery and great ball skill but he usually takes on one defender too many with his mazy dribbles. Exciting to watch but inevitably ends in frustration because he didn't pick out the pass when it was on. Hopefully Warnock is working with him on that but Farke apparently had the same concern. Maybe on Saturday Robert's may be hungry with a point to prove if he gets a game.

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

True but Warnock's mantra is more geared to not getting beat and building up an invincibility factor rather than gamble and drop a point. Granted there are two more points up for grabs with a win but that isn't how he has built his teams in the past and his methodology has proven successful plus it saved us from going down. 

To date all I have seen from Roberts is trickery and great ball skill but he usually takes on one defender too many with his mazy dribbles. Exciting to watch but inevitably ends in frustration because he didn't pick out the pass when it was on. Hopefully Warnock is working with him on that but Farke apparently had the same concern. Maybe on Saturday Robert's may be hungry with a point to prove if he gets a game.

I know that's Warnock's mantra, mate, no question about that at all.  I'm just looking at the other side of the coin.  Although it's also worth pointing out that we didn't actually draw a single game with him when he kept us up.  We either won or lost, so I'm not sure if that is the same as what we are doing now.

Regarding Roberts, as Borodane has said, we already knew the type of player he was because he was with us last season.  If it's not what we wanted then why did we bother bringing him back?  I have to believe he's here because we want to use his particular skills/talents.  I reckon he'll start at least one of the next two but we'll see I guess.

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I know that's Warnock's mantra, mate, no question about that at all.  I'm just looking at the other side of the coin.  Although it's also worth pointing out that we didn't actually draw a single game with him when he kept us up.  We either won or lost, so I'm not sure if that is the same as what we are doing now.

Regarding Roberts, as Borodane has said, we already knew the type of player he was because he was with us last season.  If it's not what we wanted then why did we bother bringing him back?  I have to believe he's here because we want to use his particular skills/talents.  I reckon he'll start at least one of the next two but we'll see I guess.

I agree that what Warnock done to keep us up is totally different to what he is doing now. One was reactive and instinctive firefighting but now it seems he has a plan in place. Its yielding results with individuals like Dijksteel and Bola and arguably Fry, Saville and McNair so why isn't it rubbing off on Roberts? I can only conclude that he wants his ability but until he is confident that he can deliver both flair and team discipline simultaneously he will be considered a luxury or a risk.

I think that as confidence in the Team keeping shut outs grows he will slowly release the handbrake. Like yourself I suspect that either Norwich or Derby will see Roberts get his opportunity to prove what he can offer. I do think Warnock wants him and wanted him but he has to conform and buy into the blueprint for the greater good which could maybe be the making of Roberts.

• Like 2

Anyone got a link to Warnocks talksport interview from this morning please?

If you take out Brynn and Folarin we only got 21 players to choose from currently. We are allowed a squad of 20 for matchday now. Currently I see young Nathan Wood as one missing out given Hall is back.

12 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Anyone got a link to Warnocks talksport interview from this morning please?

If you take out Brynn and Folarin we only got 21 players to choose from currently. We are allowed a squad of 20 for matchday now. Currently I see young Nathan Wood as one missing out given Hall is back.

You can only start with 11 though.  How big does the squad need to be before it's big enough?  The squad isn't massive but we're not being forced to start with kids either, and that's despite having a few injuries.