oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

3 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

History means sod all. It is today that counts. Britt is a pale shadow of what he was, in terms of ability to hit the net and, dare I say it application. Akpom has yet to be prolific. The pair to me demonstrate quite clearly what misfits they are today. As said, facts and figures from yesteryear mean nothing. It is today - and both are proving to be not up to it.

Yeah when Akpom came he scored 2 in 2. When Britt arrived he banged them in. It seems the longer a striker stays the worse they get. Or the more their confidence is drained. The trouble is when Britt plays I no longer think he walks on to the pitch thinking "I'm going to score today". 

• Like 1
  • Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny isn't it?  Fry is playing well, McNair is brilliant apparently and Dijksteel is a 'beast'.  And yet we can't possibly risk playing attacking players in attacking positions ahead of them?  I

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

History means sod all. It is today that counts. Britt is a pale shadow of what he was, in terms of ability to hit the net and, dare I say it application. Akpom has yet to be prolific. The pair to me demonstrate quite clearly what misfits they are today. As said, facts and figures from yesteryear mean nothing. It is today - and both are proving to be not up to it.

History means sod all?  It reveals a fairly clear pattern, although it's harder to get through to those who choose to remain ignorant.  Yesterday our 'attack' was Akpom, Spence and Johnson.  Neither of our strikers had a shot yesterday, and we as a team managed 9.  That current enough for you?

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

And yet the actual record suggests that he is above average.  Certainly not the best but better than many. 

The number 1 strikers role here is all about work rate to be fair.  Akpom hasn't scored since his second game, he hasn't had a shot on target since he scored that tap in either, so think about that for a moment.  Our 'number 1 striker' hasn't had a shot on target since the 3rd October, 8 games ago.  Even allowing for the fact that he's missed a few games, that's not exactly great, is it?  Yesterday he may as well have not played for all that he was involved.  Unless we come to the conclusion that he is also not good enough, then perhaps we need to look at other areas where our problems might lie?

We've played 12 games and we've failed to score in 5 of them!  We've only scored more than one goal in two games - Barnsley and Coventry at home.  We've actually gotten more defensive in our mindset if anything.  Roberts can barely get on the pitch - why is he even here?  Folarin got on 15 mins earlier than him yesterday.  Our attacking width yesterday was Johnson and Spence - nobody can seriously think they are what is needed there, except of course for Warnock.

We've got a massive game coming up this week for different reasons.  We're up against the lowest scorers in the league and one of the worst defences in the league.  The expectation should be for a win and a good solid one at that.

I honestly believe we've seen the best of Assambolonga and I think he's gone back over so that's why I regard him as average, and it doesn't look good when a forward who hasn't had a shot on target since 3rd October is keeping Britt on the bench. Do I think Akpom's good enough then no I don't, and his goal scoring career record suggests his not.

2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I honestly believe we've seen the best of Assambolonga and I think he's gone back over so that's why I regard him as average, and it doesn't look good when a forward who hasn't had a shot on target since 3rd October is keeping Britt on the bench. Do I think Akpom's good enough then no I don't, and his goal scoring career record suggests his not.

Then that's a pretty big problem as well, isn't it?  Cos we just bought him a couple of months back.  My point isn't that Assombalonga is good, it's that he isn't the issue.  If we keep playing as we are then we will score a low amount of goals, it's as simple as that.

21 minutes ago, Blanco said:

If we keep playing as we are we will win more than we lose. It’s as simple as that 

But we might not win enough, and therein lies the problem.  The aim isn't to lose as few as possible, it's to get as many points as possible, and winning games is how you do that.  We've won 4 this season.

Not trying to argue, but what do you think our WDL stats should be from those games? not in hindsight, but what you would have hoped for at seasons start. Have we done better or worse or about what you expected?  

22 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Not trying to argue, but what do you think our WDL stats should be from those games? not in hindsight, but what you would have hoped for at seasons start. Have we done better or worse or about what you expected?  

What do I think we were capable of or what did I expect given what I already know about our set up?  I think we were capable of beating QPR, Reading, Blackburn and Brentford, that's of the games we didn't win obviously.  You could add Cardiff to that as well I suppose.  That doesn't mean that I expected to win them all though.  Only Reading can be said to have started the season well, and I think that was just a good bit of form rather than genuine signs of a promotion contender.  They've now lost 4 in a row, and at this moment in time I don't expect them to finish in the top 6.  Brentford haven't got into their stride, and they might not be the team they were last season anyway.   We caught Blackburn at a good time without Armstrong but even with him they are a midtable side.  I don't think much of QPR either.

We got lucky at Bristol City in my opinion although we were solid in that game no question.  Cardiff was an ok point but no more than that.  We beat Barnsley, Coventry and Forest at home and I think they should have been nailed on wins with room to spare.

The defeats against Watford and Norwich are two that people would have expected on paper, however I don't believe that either side looked especially good at the point we've played them.  The draw against Bournemouth was viewed as a great result.  Whilst I wouldn't go that far it was a decent point.  The relegated sides usually have a bit of a hangover, not to mention that two of them also had new managers.  I'd rather play them early in the season and try and get them cold.

I think that's all of our games so I guess 6/4/2 or 7/3/2 vs 4/6/2 if you want to look at it like that.  I also want us to score more than 9 goals in 12 games as well, and I do expect more than that, as it's a lousy goal scoring record.

36 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But we might not win enough, and therein lies the problem.  The aim isn't to lose as few as possible, it's to get as many points as possible, and winning games is how you do that.  We've won 4 this season.

And lost two. We have won twice as many as we lost. How can even you find a moan in that?

I honestly cannot believe what I’m reading. Are people seriously blaming the strikers for our lack of goals and not the fact that Warnock plays a full back and a league 1 winger as the two players nearest our lone striker. We show absolutely zero ambition. We are set up to be solid and turn each game into a scrap. That, and that alone, is the reason we score no goals. 

Play a front 4 of Tav, Akpom, Roberts and Britt and give them a little bit of freedom and we will score goal. Warnock is the reason for our dull, blunt “attack” not our strikers. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Blanco said:

And lost two. We have won twice as many as we lost. How can even you find a moan in that?

Because that isn't the aim.  Win 2 games, draw 43 and lose 1 and you've achieved the same thing, we aren't going to be celebrating that though are we?

• Like 1

I agree that we possibly could have done better in games we have played, but what I was wondering is how we have done in relation to your expectations at seasons start rather than our knowledge of how each team has performed in the first dozen games..  I must be less convinced of our ability than you as I expected to lose at Brentford and Cardiff and thought Forest could have been a draw .. but this was my thinking before a ball was kicked. Having seen our performances, I think 6/4/2 would not have been unrealistic, but I have to admit that I am pleased that I am thinking that way rather than "we are in for a tonking".. for me, the matches up to Christmas are all fixtures we can get a result from and I would hope that we put a greater emphasis on forward play in most of them  

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Because that isn't the aim.  Win 2 games, draw 43 and lose 1 and you've achieved the same thing, we aren't going to be celebrating that though are we?

We definitely would have under Woodgate but in all seriousness we didn’t deserve to lose yesterday. Everybody’s favourite boo boy Marvin Johnson played well and looked really good going forward. But that seems to upset those that want him to fail just so they can think that they are somehow superior to an experienced manager. I think Warnock will get us there or thereabouts regardless of the constant anti Boro moaning on here and I’m sure elsewhere. Get behind the team and support the Boro

1 minute ago, Old Codger said:

I agree that we possibly could have done better in games we have played, but what I was wondering is how we have done in relation to your expectations at seasons start rather than our knowledge of how each team has performed in the first dozen games..  I must be less convinced of our ability than you as I expected to lose at Brentford and Cardiff and thought Forest could have been a draw .. but this was my thinking before a ball was kicked. Having seen our performances, I think 6/4/2 would not have been unrealistic, but I have to admit that I am pleased that I am thinking that way rather than "we are in for a tonking".. for me, the matches up to Christmas are all fixtures we can get a result from and I would hope that we put a greater emphasis on forward play in most of them  

I don't know if I can answer that now as I do know how the teams have played, and how they looked when we played them, if you see what I mean?  Before the season you'd have expected Forest to be a better side than they've proven to be, but they aren't that good, so before the season I'd have expected a tougher game, but that would have been incorrect on my part, wouldn't it?  My opinion then would have been wrong, not my opinion now.  You can probably say the same about Cardiff and Brentford, albeit to a lesser extent, as they haven't started quite as poorly as Forest have.  But neither have started all that well.  Derby would be the most obvious example I guess.  They'd have been viewed as a much tougher fixture prior to the season than they've proven to be this season.  Which one is the most accurate opinion, the one before the season or the one now?  I think it's the one now.