oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

16 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Then that's a pretty big problem as well, isn't it?  Cos we just bought him a couple of months back.  My point isn't that Assombalonga is good, it's that he isn't the issue.  If we keep playing as we are then we will score a low amount of goals, it's as simple as that.

The majority on here agree the problem is we don't create enough chances because we don't have creative midfielders in the squad, but lets say for instance we signed a couple of  midfielders who create chances are our strikers good enough to take those chances, yes they'll score a few but nowhere near as many as a top quality championship striker would. You take for instance Jarrod Bowen when he was at  Hull, he takes the chances created because his an intelligent striker, likewise Bamford. .  

• Like 1
  • Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny isn't it?  Fry is playing well, McNair is brilliant apparently and Dijksteel is a 'beast'.  And yet we can't possibly risk playing attacking players in attacking positions ahead of them?  I

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

In my opinion I would drop both Johnson and Spence for the next game and play both of Folarin and Watmore. Both are proper wingers unlike Johnson and Spence who have done very little other than a few fancy stepovers. Johnson is a little more effective than spence currently though. (in that he does try and get some crosses in) Spence needs to learn how to beat his man, and then get the ball into the box. 

Folarin looked like a fish out of water. Felt like we were playing with 10 men for spells in that game whilst he was on. He'd go back to playing a few U23 games for me until he's up to speed. Warnock rolled the dice and it didn't work.

50 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Folarin looked like a fish out of water. Felt like we were playing with 10 men for spells in that game whilst he was on. He'd go back to playing a few U23 games for me until he's up to speed. Warnock rolled the dice and it didn't work.

to be fair, it should have worked. he sent him on almost expressly to get that LB sent off and he should have been.

2 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

The majority on here agree the problem is we don't create enough chances because we don't have creative midfielders in the squad, but lets say for instance we signed a couple of  midfielders who create chances are our strikers good enough to take those chances, yes they'll score a few but nowhere near as many as a top quality championship striker would. You take for instance Jarrod Bowen when he was at  Hull, he takes the chances created because his an intelligent striker, likewise Bamford. .  

I like Bamford.  I thought he was our best striker and said so on numerous occasions.  I think he's a better striker than Assombalonga, Fletcher and Akpom (from what little I've seen of him).  In the last two seasons Bamford scored 25 goals.  Assombalonga has also scored 25 goals in that time.  I still think Bamford is the better player but in the last two seasons they scored exactly the same amount of goals.  Bowen is a completely different player to any of our strikers but also a better player I think it's safe to say.

6 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

Changing Times - a tad arrogant from his posts! He is right and anyone disagreeing is wrong, oh dear, oh dear.

He seems to take pride at lecturing the goal scoring ability of team members of yesteryear. Yet these same players can only muster 9 goals in 12 games! This is the most relevant and damning statistic he seems to conveniently forget.

Without a decent defence that paltry return would lead to one thing - a relegation battle. 

And no amount of producing yesteryears stats will mask that

Actually, I started talking about this season's stats.  You said our strikers are rubbish so I looked at the stats over the period that they've been here to see what they also looked like.  Unless the extent of your argument is that they have suddenly turned to rubbish now of course, then that is the right way to look at it, whether you like it or not.  Nothing arrogant about that, it's just common sense.  I added the other players to show that they aren't scoring goals, and as a team scores goals, not simply the strikers, it's quite clearly relevant to how many goals we have scored this season, and over the seasons when our rubbish strikers have been here.  We have midfielders who scored goals elsewhere unable to score goals at the same frequency here.   That has nothing to do with our strikers but clearly impacts how many goals we score.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

to be fair, it should have worked. he sent him on almost expressly to get that LB sent off and he should have been.

Don’t think I believe him in that regard.

Our strikers are rubbish - the fact is they need multiple chances - and still they rarely convert. We will get nothing for Britt, I could not see him leaving in January as I doubt any club would be interested in engaging anywhere near what he is supposedly on. Akpom Is I’m afraid, a limited player and not the answer to our striking problems. And that leaves the injured Fletcher. It is a pathetic collection of strikers.

Just now, Robin Johnson said:

Our strikers are rubbish - the fact is they need multiple chances - and still they rarely convert. We will get nothing for Britt, I could not see him leaving in January as I doubt any club would be interested in engaging anywhere near what he is supposedly on. Akpom Is I’m afraid, a limited player and not the answer to our striking problems. And that leaves the injured Fletcher. It is a pathetic collection of strikers.

All strikers need multiple chances.  If they rarely converted then Assombalonga wouldn't have scored 15. 14 and 11 goals here.  As I said in an earlier post, even if Assombalonga scored 20 goals in each of the last two seasons, we'd have still been one of the lower scorers in the league, which points to the fact that our goal scoring problems are greater than just whoever we pick up front each week. 

To bring it back to this season, the top scorer in our league is Armstrong at Blackburn with 11 goals.  I think he's a real outlier but he's had 57 shots this season to get those goals.  Our three strikers combined have had 36 shots this season.  There are three players in the Championship with more shots than all of them combined.  Kieffer Moore, who we tried to sign, has had 35 shots this season.  Pukki, who we saw on the weekend, has 32.  That's before you even examine the quality of chances we've created, which I think aren't that great.  Ivan Toney is the second top scorer with 10 goals.  He's had far fewer shots than Armstrong this season with 29.  Of those, 24 are inside the penalty area.  That's more shots inside the area than Assombalonga has had in total and 7 of Assombalonga's are outside the area.  If Ivan Toney played for us, he'd be nowhere near 10 goals because we'd never have created the same quality of chances that Brentford have for him.  Akpom has had 10 shots in total this season, he doesn't even crack the top 100 in the Championship!

Of course we won't get anything for Britt, we gave him a daft contract and paid far too much for the bloke.  The ship has long since sailed on that one I completely agree.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Humpty said:

I don't understand why match threads are archived before the next game has been played? Particularly when discussions are on going. Little bit of user feedback @Downsouth

Not archived persay Matt always open for extra discussion.

There was a little bit of ill feeling creeping into the thread and that prompted me to move it somewhat.