oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

those are definitely the two that stood out, but I have to agree with Blanco that his general performance in the first 45 minutes was praiseworthy and I agree with you that his prominence declined in the second half. I do recollect your comment on his "good run" and to me that proves that you are prepared to give credit where it is due. some are not

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny isn't it?  Fry is playing well, McNair is brilliant apparently and Dijksteel is a 'beast'.  And yet we can't possibly risk playing attacking players in attacking positions ahead of them?  I

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I don’t have the memory that you require for this. At half time yesterday I had Johnson down as man of the match for us. When he was replaced by Coulson we wilted. That is how I saw it and I stick by that opinion. I’m not capable of remembering every minute as it happened and will make no apologies for that 

But he did nothing that stood out for you in a game that you said he looked really good going forwards?  Does that not suggest he didn't do much?  Your memory can't be that bad, with respect. The fact that you thought he was our best player is neither here nor there as nobody looked good going forwards for us yesterday.  We looked good closing them down and trying to swarm all over them in the first half but that's a completely different thing to looking good as an attacking unit.  Johnson did a couple of decent things in the first half but that's it, and that shouldn't be enough to be given the kind of praise you gave him.  That's not a criticism of him, it's simply that no other set of fans would view their players in that way.  This is how dire our attacking play as become over the last few years - a player makes a good run and has a nothing shot, and somebody says he looks really good going forwards.  That's how anaemic we've become in this area of our game.  66 mins of football and you make a good run to win a corner and have a shot, that isn't really good anything.

We were already on the back foot before he went off, so with respect, your recollection is faulty.  Go back and read this thread and you'll see comments asking us to make subs before we did for that very reason.  From the moment we missed the penalty we started to struggle a bit.  I think Johnson was on for another 10 mins or so at least after that.

23 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

those are definitely the two that stood out, but I have to agree with Blanco that his general performance in the first 45 minutes was praiseworthy and I agree with you that his prominence declined in the second half. I do recollect your comment on his "good run" and to me that proves that you are prepared to give credit where it is due. some are not

I'm not talking about his general performance though and neither was Blanco, at least I assume he wasn't.  He was talking about him specifically as an attacking threat.  If you or Blanco want to talk about his work rate, tackling or whatever then I'm happy to do that.  But I honestly don't believe any other set of fans would watch the 66 mins he played yesterday and say he looked really good going forwards.  We have basically being conditioned over the past few years to have next to no expectations of our attacking play because there hasn't been much of it on show.  As a football fan, I find that really sad.

There certainly was a drop in performance from most and especially Tav after the disallowed goal.

I simply do not know why things do not get changed earlier by NW when clearly a certain formation is not working.

Anyways let others have their opinions without the need for the Spanish Inquisition

8 hours ago, Blanco said:

And lost two. We have won twice as many as we lost. How can even you find a moan in that?

He has said a number of times he wants or expects us to be top 6 and to do that we need to win more games than we are doing. 

if you are happy to win more than we lose and finish 12th that is fine but that is not what he is saying. He is “moaning” because he thinks we should be good enough to get into the playoffs. I also think we can do it but we need to be picking up more points and to do that we don’t need more draws we need more wins. 

Edited by sackrobson2

In my opinion I would drop both Johnson and Spence for the next game and play both of Folarin and Watmore. Both are proper wingers unlike Johnson and Spence who have done very little other than a few fancy stepovers. Johnson is a little more effective than spence currently though. (in that he does try and get some crosses in) Spence needs to learn how to beat his man, and then get the ball into the box. 

Just seen the highlights. Other refs would not have disallowed that pen, but if the ref is certain that Tav touched it twice then fair enough. But why didn't McNair take it? he usually scores for us and I thought he was our spot kick taker. Anyways you can't legislated for a slip like that. Just pure luck. It was a stupid and inexperienced tackle by Coulson though. Why stick your leg out there? And how on earth did Sorensen stay on the pitch? Blatant second yellow on Spence. But there wasn't too many chances in the game and by the highlights it looked like a draw would have been fair.

We need to create more. We can't go on only creating 1-2 goalscoring chances per game. We have to be a bit braver.

• Like 1

Changing Times - a tad arrogant from his posts! He is right and anyone disagreeing is wrong, oh dear, oh dear.

He seems to take pride at lecturing the goal scoring ability of team members of yesteryear. Yet these same players can only muster 9 goals in 12 games! This is the most relevant and damning statistic he seems to conveniently forget.

Without a decent defence that paltry return would lead to one thing - a relegation battle. 

And no amount of producing yesteryears stats will mask that

48 minutes ago, Borodane said:

But why didn't McNair take it? he usually scores for us and I thought he was our spot kick taker.

We've had three penalties under Warnock, Assombalonga took one, Fletcher the other.

McNair took some of them under Woodgate, his last one was saved (was bound to happen as he put all 3 penalties in the exact same position).

To be fair to CT, he is right in some ways, we have been able to get ourselves into positions where we have been dictating some games but for various reasons have not been able to convert that into victories. Some of us see this as an improvement and feel that will be rectified and others are frustrated that it hasn't been rectified. As he says it is easier to pack defences and swamp midfields at the cost of abandoning all out attack. Given the quality of the squad, and the teams we've played, I think we have done OK. We are performing better than last season and making fewer mistakes and a run of decent results in the next few games might change the way we are seeing things. There are ten games left this year and we should be able to win most of them, certainly only one team stands out as being difficult but if we are not in top six by end of 2020, then "it is what it is". But if the question is "Am I enjoying this season more than I enjoyed last season?", the answer is yes.. we look like a team, some players we were feeling would not make step up have proved us wrong and I can watch game from right side of couch. We will lose games but at least we are looking competitive and sooner or later, things will start to improve at the front. Warnock may feel Derby are the sort of team he can be more adventurous against, but they still have some decent players in Waghorn, Ibe, Rooney and Sibley, not to mention a very good keeper, so he won't take them for granted. Last year, it was the sort of game we struggled in, so it will be interesting to see if we are able to change that and pull off the result we all want to see. Not sure whose turn it is to do match thread, but hopefully will be up to day and we can look forward rather than backward      

6 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Disagree. His main argument was we had players from seasons past who scored goals. Totally irrelevant argument and yardstick to what is happening today.

Regardless of players we are still negative from the start. The team on saturday had three attacking players in Akpom, Tav and Johnson - who was playing as a wingback and isn't particularly good anyway. That hardly looks like a team going for three points. It screams keep it tight, don't concede and try to nick the three points from the one or two chances you'll create which might well have been the scenario if Tav hadn't slipped. But all that said I'm enjoying it more than under the last three managers but that's hardly a valid yardstick.

Fwiw I don't expect us to finish in the top-6. I'm expecting a mid table finish as we will simply lack goals which is both due to a lack of quality in the final third and negative tactics.

• Like 2

For all I'm happy to praise NW for turning the team around, I must admit I am starting to get concerned.

As others have said, we FINALLY have a pretty sound defence in place - guys who can chase, tackle and generally co-ordinate to make sure Betinelli isn't overworked.

Our midfield isn't the most creative, but they put challenges in to win the ball and can pass it around quite nicely.

Unfortunately it all falls apart rather horribly in and around the opposition penalty area. We suddenly go from being well co-ordinated to looking like a pub team with a hangover from the night before. Set pieces often go straight to the opposition, or clear the entire penalty area. Too often we literally try and hit the ball through opposition players, rather than create some space to shoot. Hoping for a lucky deflection?

While we're managing more shots on target now, it is worrying how few are finding the back of the net. As much for the psychological effect it will have on the team, as our league status. I think its bound to start knocking the players' confidence and they'll find it even harder to score by over-thinking what they're doing, or not taking chances and passing to a team mate instead...

Conceding just 6 goals in 12 games is impressive...best defence in the league. Unfortunately we've only scored 9...less than any other team in the top half of the table.

The longer this goes on, the more I worry it will become a kind of psychological barrier for the team...they'll become shot-shy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Regardless of players we are still negative from the start. The team on saturday had three attacking players in Akpom, Tav and Johnson - who was playing as a wingback and isn't particularly good anyway. That hardly looks like a team going for three points. It screams keep it tight, don't concede and try to nick the three points from the one or two chances you'll create which might well have been the scenario if Tav hadn't slipped. But all that said I'm enjoying it more than under the last three managers but that's hardly a valid yardstick.

Fwiw I don't expect us to finish in the top-6. I'm expecting a mid table finish as we will simply lack goals which is both due to a lack of quality in the final third and negative tactics.

The annoying thing though Stephan is that I really believe we have the players to change that give the chance

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

Disagree. His main argument was we had players from seasons past who scored goals. Totally irrelevant argument and yardstick to what is happening today.

So why have players who scored goals previously stopped scoring? I don’t think they’ve got old or had Bad injuries so there must be some explanation. Isn’t he making the point that the team doesn’t create many chances? Hard to argue with that point surely?