oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

Theres been some revisionism of valdes's time here amongst our fans. He started off shakey but for a good 4 or 5 months he was a very good keeper for us in the premier League. Then he downed tools when karanka left and he tarnished what he had done before. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Theres been some revisionism of valdes's time here amongst our fans. He started off shakey but for a good 4 or 5 months he was a very good keeper for us in the premier League. Then he downed tools when karanka left and he tarnished what he had done before. 

No revisionism from me. He was poison from the start. a very poor Keeper for the first three months, in fact a liability and stabilised to reach the level of average at best. Terrible attitude problem which disn't help when you are in a relegation scrap. He had little interest in being here and it showed.

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

No revisionism from me. He was poison from the start. a very poor Keeper for the first three months, in fact a liability and stabilised to reach the level of average at best. Terrible attitude problem which disn't help when you are in a relegation scrap. He had little interest in being here and it showed.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/victor-valdes-opens-up-middlesbrough-12598868

First result when I searched valdes Boro form. As well as the gazette gushing over him, Everton's keeper calls him the best in the league and talks of reports in Spain about a national side recall. So fair enough if you have no revisionism, but your opinion is in the minority at the time.

14 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

First result when I searched valdes Boro form. As well as the gazette gushing over him, Everton's keeper calls him the best in the league and talks of reports in Spain about a national side recall. So fair enough if you have no revisionism, but your opinion is in the minority at the time.

Burnley, Man United, Everton, I could go on but clearly you are in awe of his medals.

Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

Burnley, Man United, Everton, I could go on but clearly you are in awe of his medals.

Not at all. I judge him for his performance for us whereas I feel youre judging him for how his time with us ended 

34 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Not at all. I judge him for his performance for us whereas I feel youre judging him for how his time with us ended 

Burnley, Man United and Everton were not at the end,.

I judged him from the start when he started screaming at Clayts for his own inadequacies in one of his first games. He started appallingly then after four months got up to speed and became distinctly mediocre. The ending was just the icing on the cake.

I thought Valdes was pretty good on the whole, yeah he made a few mistakes but he wasn't a bad keeper. I enjoyed watching him with the ball at his feet, his distribution was unbelievable! Obviously things turned sour in the end and that tarnished his reputation here. 

I think a lot of our fans never took to him because he pushed Dimi out of the team. 

• Like 2

Valdes's weaknesses were exposed here, he hardly ever had to deal with crosses at Barca for a start, he was hammered with them for us. Plus he was still pretty rusty.

He was a damn good shot stopper though and saved us in a lot of games while he was here, people tend to forget that.

• Like 1

I agree about the shot stopping aspect of his game but the rest was well below what we needed at the time. I doubt that Dimi would have been much better at Premiership level but certainly no worse. As for the other excuse of a Goalkeeper we signed the fact that Boro fans were trying to get him sent off in a game says it all. 

I don't think I've ever seen a more eccentric keeper play for Middlesbrough than Victor Valdes. Liable to errors early on from sweeping, also capable of pointing the finger as others have said, when it wasn't warranted. 

And yet I still think he's probably the best keeper in terms of quality that I've maybe ever seen play for us. Which is quite something as I was not one of those gushing over his signing at all, I didn't actually think much of his time at Barca and the early games for us only began cementing my opinion that he wasn't quite the coup some thought it was. Even leaving under the circumstances he did doesn't do enough to tarnish the quality I think he had.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but seen articles in Gazette and Echo over weekend where NW said they were solely focusing they attentions on players currently in England. He also said it might be a case of looking at older players who dont mind being back up and/or have played for him in the past.

Looking at the above and Warnock saying he targeting 1 or 2 more I feel it will be a wide man and defender he targets. Former to be more of a starter and the latter to be more of a back up.

Some defenders and wide men that might fit the bil (just a bit of fun)l:-

DEFENDERS: Sol Bamba, Peltier, Goode, Martin Kelly, Phil Jagielka

WINGERS: Bolasie, Grosicki, Holliett, Mendez-Laing, Atsu, Snodgrass, El Ghazi, Kebano.

Edited by TLF10
20 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Bettinelli can go for me, he's an average keeper and prone to making mistakes. So is Stojanovic to be fair, what's Sol Brynn like?

He looks epic every time I see him in them training videos the club uploads. But that s literally all I am going off mate so dont add any weight to my views on him. He has a nice set of hair on him too.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It certainly shows we have some really *** fans

You mustn't have been at that game then, that Boro fans felt we had a better chance with ten men tells the true story. He was an absolute liability, appallingly poor, how on earth he had earned a living in the professional game is a mystery.

That Villa fans beforehand had nicknamed him "Bad" instead of "Brad" fills in the gaps. 

Edited by Redcar Rioja
  • Tom locked this topic