oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Bettinelli can go for me, he's an average keeper and prone to making mistakes. So is Stojanovic to be fair, what's Sol Brynn like?

I think Bettinelli is a good organiser and engages with his defence. His Goalkeeping ability is average at this level like a lot of other Keepers. I think we have to remember that if he was great he wouldn't be here.

When Shay Given came on loan just watching him was a joy and that was including the warm ups where he was aware of the kids walking behind the goal waving flags when he used to tell the players to stop firing practice shots at him in case it hit one of the little ones. Small things but they matter and tell a lot about the man. He always made marks in the turf (probably much to the annoyance of the Groundsmen) so he knew his positioning in the heat of the action and was always exercising to keep warm and alert.

Another Keeper I liked was Paul Smith, a comparative nobody in the history of Goalkeeping but I have positive memories of him always giving his best during his short tenure here. Likewise I have good memories of Danny Coyne.

I remember when Mark Schwarzer first arrived he was a good Keeper but his kicking was terrible, he struggled to reach the half way line. After the first Summer break something had improved (presumably coaching and practice) immeasurably as the length of his kicks were half as much again after that.  

Willie Whigham was a real character, Jim Platt possibly my favourite whilst Steve Pears was probably one of the best in living memory. Keepers, they come and go, some leave positive memories and some like Valdes and Guzan are best forgotten about.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think I've ever seen a more eccentric keeper play for Middlesbrough than Victor Valdes. Liable to errors early on from sweeping, also capable of pointing the finger as others have said, when it wasn't warranted. 

And yet I still think he's probably the best keeper in terms of quality that I've maybe ever seen play for us. Which is quite something as I was not one of those gushing over his signing at all, I didn't actually think much of his time at Barca and the early games for us only began cementing my opinion that he wasn't quite the coup some thought it was. Even leaving under the circumstances he did doesn't do enough to tarnish the quality I think he had.

Better than Randolph, with his weekly worldies?

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Better than Randolph, with his weekly worldies?

Absolutely. Randolph was a great shot stopper but I also think he had his weaknesses, particularly with the ball at his feet, whether playing out from the back or in his kicking and in modern football that's quite a big thing.

10 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think I've ever seen a more eccentric keeper play for Middlesbrough than Victor Valdes. Liable to errors early on from sweeping, also capable of pointing the finger as others have said, when it wasn't warranted. 

And yet I still think he's probably the best keeper in terms of quality that I've maybe ever seen play for us. Which is quite something as I was not one of those gushing over his signing at all, I didn't actually think much of his time at Barca and the early games for us only began cementing my opinion that he wasn't quite the coup some thought it was. Even leaving under the circumstances he did doesn't do enough to tarnish the quality I think he had.

Schwarzer was better for my money.  

Regarding Valdes. Are we really discussing the ability of a goalkeeper who has literally won every trophy possible and clocked up nearly 400 appearances for a team that was probably the best club side seen by an entire generation?

The regular and quite ridiculous argument directed at Valdes was he had little to do for Barca such was they dominance. Do people genuinely think to be a keeper at the best club on the planet for as long as he was, that all you need to do is be able stand between two posts? Do people know how hard it is to even become a professional footballer at a half decent level never mind do it at the very elite level for as long as he did and we are discussing if he was a good keeper?

Was he as good for as he was Barca? Well obviously not. But no player is going to be as good as for Boro as they would for Barca. You look better with better players around you. That is a simple fact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 11/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, wilsoncgp said:

Were you following us when Schwarzer was here?

On 11/28/2020 at 1:14 PM, Changing Times said:

Is it just me that isn't all the impressed with Bettinelli?  He's pulled off a couple of good saves but no more than that.  He seems to make more small mistakes than I'd expect from a keeper of his reputation, and who has so little to do.  Even the other night he dropped a fairly simple cross.  It didn't cost us but it's not exactly reassuring, and I don't think it's the first time?

He's loud and vocal and that's seemingly what Warnock wants. I agree as far as actual keeping goes he's been alright but not great.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, Neverbefore said:

There's not really enough of a sample size to make a decision. The ball just doesn't come at him often enough. One thing I'll say is that none of the goals against were as a result of errors from him so cant ask for much more than that.

The QPR goal was entirely his fault. Think he got beat twice at his near post vs Barnsley in the cup too.

Two of the goals this weekend he also should have saved - now I'm not pinning them on him because there were screw ups by those in front too, but that first goal 100% he has to save.

23 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Bettinelli can go for me, he's an average keeper and prone to making mistakes. So is Stojanovic to be fair, what's Sol Brynn like?

FWIW Sol Brynn is meant to be the next big thing, I think we're higher on him then we have been on anyone in a long time.

58 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Were you following us when Schwarzer was here?

Yeah, I started following us in 2004. I know some will say Schwarzer knocks it out of the park but he'd be second to Valdes on my list when we're just talking about the quality of the keeper. Is that a shock?

I know people have justifiable gripes with Valdes' commitment and all that, if you were putting together a Sunday League team with ex-Boro players he's not gonna be on anyone's shortlists including mine. He was just a better keeper, in my view.

I didn't know whether he was under your consideration that's all.

Schwarzer does knock Valdes out the park 😉

Valdes would struggle to get in my top 3. Schwarzer, Pears, Randolph, Crossley, Given all above him in my pecking order.

The big Auzzie was very good and for a long time.  I notice you have not mentioned Jim Platt who I rated highly also along with Pears.  For some reason I tend to regard Given and Randolph as cameo appearances which is not really fair

but who said life was fair - keep smiling

8 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

The big Auzzie was very good and for a long time.  I notice you have not mentioned Jim Platt who I rated highly also along with Pears.  For some reason I tend to regard Given and Randolph as cameo appearances which is not really fair

but who said life was fair - keep smiling

Given made 16 Boro appearances, Valdes 28 appearances and Randolph 106 appearances in a Boro shirt.

Given was a 93 day maximum permitted loan but he kept 10 clean sheets in those 16 games. I'm pretty sure that Valdes will have been signed with the intention of him being around for longer than 28 games. Randolph's 106 games are maybe not what could be classed as a long serving tenure but a little more than a cameo in fairness to him. in contrast however Jim Platt made 481 appearances so I suppose by comparison they were all somewhat transient.

Platt was my boyhood keeper, couldn't kick a ball straight, unless he kicked it straight into touch, but he was excellent for years, I would rate him on par with Schwarzer and I think the Aussie would have helped to keep us up if he hadn't gotten injured.

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic