oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

I merely brought up the subject of Charlie Wyke to illustrate the aspirations of others might be equally as pointless.

Wyke rarely misses the target when he gets an opportunity is the answer as to why he scores.  He is however a much better header of the ball than most of our current strikers but it may well be that he is at his level and we might be better considering what we need.

If Fletcher or Brown is to return early in January then the need might not be so urgent

However remember the "midget gems"  -  might some of our current lads be able to recreate something like that quality

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Can we just take a step back and ask whether the likes of Davis/Wyke would actually improve us...?

I'd rather stick with Fletch, The Ass, Chiba, and Watmore than bring in any old dross. There's strikers out there who could improve us - the likes of Davis and Wyke aren't those strikers. We don't need signings for signings sake.

I suppose the selection becomes severly limited if we only want a 4th choice and not pay any or very little wage contribution

4 hours ago, Borodane said:

I suppose the selection becomes severly limited if we only want a 4th choice and not pay any or very little wage contribution

True. Browne would be just as effective as the 4th choice playing the second striker role. Or use an academy lad for what little they'd play, or change up the system. 

Fletch coming back will be a decent boost I reckon - once he's back to fitness at least. A front 3 of Bolasie, Fletch, and Watmore would be my preference. 

4 hours ago, Borodane said:

Unless there is an option in Britts contract I would expect us to be pimping him out in January.

It’s the last chance to get a little money for him.

if we bring someone in it may be as first choice.

1 minute ago, TheJew said:

There's interest in Britt from China and Russia apparently.

Are China still paying silly money and wages for players? 

11 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

There's a cap coming into place at the start of the new season which is roughly £52,000 per week.

I know the government implemented a 100% tax on foreign players coming in effectively doubling their price. Wasn’t aware of the pay cap tho

A wage cap seems like a sensible way to prevent Mesut Ozil-style excess. It's quite depressing that even the Chinese league is doing a better job than ours in terms of regulating excess and stopping player costs becoming truly stratospheric.

49 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

A wage cap seems like a sensible way to prevent Mesut Ozil-style excess. It's quite depressing that even the Chinese league is doing a better job than ours in terms of regulating excess and stopping player costs becoming truly stratospheric.

I’m not sure that’s it’s depressing. More of and an indictment of the influence/control that the Chinese government had in its football federation. Something that just wouldn’t be tolerated over here. 
Also an indictment of how FIFA turn a blind eye to the involvement of the Chinese government. Similar involvement has seen countries banned from FIFA sponsored events (Pakistan and Mali spring to mind, and even Spain were threatened with a ban when the government got involved with finding a replace meant to the head of their FA) 

So, Yannick Bolasie just said on soccer am that he initiated the move to boro in the summer by calling Warnock and we still couldn’t get it done. Seemed really keen to link up with Warnock again. Would be a good signing and seems like a nice guy. Plus, he actually wanted to come here, which is always a good start. Get him in!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, El1986 said:

So, Yannick Bolasie just said on soccer am that he initiated the move to boro in the summer by calling Warnock and we still couldn’t get it done. Seemed really keen to link up with Warnock again. Would be a good signing and seems like a nice guy. Plus, he actually wanted to come here, which is always a good start. Get him in!

Good first post welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1
  • Tom locked this topic