oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

4 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

To be honest I would want a player in on his ability as the overriding factor.

I remain to be convinced Bolasie still has such ability. Very reluctant to see limited resources potentially wasted.

I honestly think he would have a lot to offer in the championship. Would give a bit of balance to the team and I think he would be keen to get his career back on track, so would put the effort in. He obviously gets on well with NW and NW could get a nice tune out of him in the latter part of the season, when we will hopefully be fighting for a play off spot (at least 😁). Would much prefer bolasie to roberts anyway 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

To be honest I would want a player in on his ability as the overriding factor.

I remain to be convinced Bolasie still has such ability. Very reluctant to see limited resources potentially wasted.

Our recent history is littered with players with great abilkity and limted benefit to the team. Committment to the cause is just as important.

• Like 2

Problem now might be that Big Sam has just taken over at WBA and might fancy taking on his old player, in which case he’s bound to choose the Premier League club. Oh and that we have no money 😁

With Browne coming back it eases the Roberts situation i would think. He's in a similar situation. Browne can play wing, striker, and the center attacking position. Lets not forget if he doesn't get hurt he was inline to get 1st team playing time, johnson might not have gotten a 2nd chance. 

With Browne, Fletcher coming back, Watmore coming in, the Everton winger likely as well our forward depth has surely improved. 

It’s the time of year people ask me what I would like and to be fair at my age, I can’t think of much they could give me. I guess what I would really like is beyond what others could afford, find and I tried hard enough to know a jackpot lottery win is, well impossible. 
I am sure BORO will have a wish list they can’t afford or find and I don’t see much change, if any, to the squad as is now. The club was already adjusting to a club the town could afford and with COVID and its financial impact and the odds on promotion are as as likely as me and my lottery jackpot wish. So I would be very surprised to see a worthy player that could benefit the team. 
Even if they bought who with the caliber, the skill and fitness we need is available and could fit and bond straight into the team. If anything it could be a distraction. 
We already have Roberts who is not used and I see a possible exit, and as a decent player looking to move I wouldn’t view BORO as a good opportunity. 
I just don’t see SG throwing money at players when he first needs to look after his interests both Bulkhaul and his hospitality business. 

Edited by sanddancer
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

It’s the time of year people ask me what I would like and to be fair at my age, I can’t think of much they could give me. I guess what I would really like is beyond what others could afford, find and I tried hard enough to know a jackpot lottery win is, well impossible. 
I am sure BORO will have a wish list they can’t afford or find and I don’t see much change, if any, to the squad as is now. The club was already adjusting to a club the town could afford and with COVID and its financial impact and the odds on promotion are as as likely as me and my lottery jackpot wish. So I would be very surprised to see a worthy player that could benefit the team. 
Even if they bought who with the caliber, the skill and fitness we need is available and could fit and bond straight into the team. If anything it could be a distraction. 
We already have Roberts who is not used and I see a possible exit, and as a decent player looking to move I wouldn’t view BORO as a good opportunity. 
I just don’t see SG throwing money at players when he first needs to look after his interests both Bulkhaul and his hospitality business. 

It’s a fair point. We’re not gonna get relegated, so we don’t need to spend to survive, but if we’re in a decent position this time next month, SG might just make a few quid available for a promotion push. Nothing too exciting, but enough to get a few bodies in that will help the squad and not break the bank. I think SG sometimes likes to see how we’re doing before splashing a bit o cash in January. It’s not the ‘not having funds available’ I’m worried about. It’s the clubs ability to identify the right players and then get the deals over the line I’m worried about. I really don’t think Warnock came here just to sit in mid table obscurity, (especially when we have a great chance of making the play offs) so I’m pretty sure he’ll be pressuring SG for a couple of players

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CanadianBoro said:

With Browne coming back it eases the Roberts situation i would think. He's in a similar situation. Browne can play wing, striker, and the center attacking position. Lets not forget if he doesn't get hurt he was inline to get 1st team playing time, johnson might not have gotten a 2nd chance. 

With Browne, Fletcher coming back, Watmore coming in, the Everton winger likely as well our forward depth has surely improved. 

We haven't seen much of Browne since NW arrived, if he improves him on the same level as some of the others then we'll have one excellent attacking player, who will be a massive lift to us, I for one hope Browne turns it around & is another plys from our llow league recruitment 

1 hour ago, Erimus74 said:

We haven't seen much of Browne since NW arrived, if he improves him on the same level as some of the others then we'll have one excellent attacking player, who will be a massive lift to us, I for one hope Browne turns it around & is another plys from our llow league recruitment 

I've got a really good feeling about Browne, think there's a lot more to come from him. He seems like a fun and popular guy in the dressing room. Our squad is absolutely paper thin so he'll definitely get some chances to impress, I have no idea what position Neil will stick him in though.

He looked quality on his loan spell last year, Oxford fans wanted him to stay.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Weasel said:

I've got a really good feeling about Browne, think there's a lot more to come from him. He seems like a fun and popular guy in the dressing room. Our squad is absolutely paper thin so he'll definitely get some chances to impress, I have no idea what position Neil will stick him in though.

He looked quality on his loan spell last year, Oxford fans wanted him to stay.

For sure. I think he can earn his way into the starting lineup. NW wanted to get him game time before his injury.

My main point was salary allocation. Watmore and Browne are versatile. Fletcher adds to the strikers. If Roberts funds are free to sign a winger (Bolasie) and depth at CB that would be more beneficial. 

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

We need to make that Ramirez type signing to get us promoted massive opportunity this window 

To be honest, I think Watmore could be the midfield dynamo we've missed for several seasons. He's already galvanised the team and taken games by the scruff of the neck. I'm not saying Watmore is as good as Ramirez was on his day (his goal against Bournemouth in the PL still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I watch it), but he's a creative and clever player of the sort we've lacked for years. Plus I still have hopes that Browne will come good - especially given how Bola and Dijksteel have improved this season.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

To be honest, I think Watmore could be the midfield dynamo we've missed for several seasons. He's already galvanised the team and taken games by the scruff of the neck. I'm not saying Watmore is as good as Ramirez was on his day (his goal against Bournemouth in the PL still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I watch it), but he's a creative and clever player of the sort we've lacked for years. Plus I still have hopes that Browne will come good - especially given how Bola and Dijksteel have improved this season.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that the improved players are defenders. Positioning and shape appears easier to coach into people.

Big Sam, Warnock, Pulis etc have all been good at making a team solid defensively. Even AK. Getting improvements from offensive players seems harder.

Tjat said MJ is a different player for us this season

• Tom locked this topic