oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

4 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@TLF10 Think you can cross Holliet and Burke off the list, both have been fairly regular starters for Cardiff and Sheffield United.

Was gonna say, seeing that list, I'd definitely cross Oliver Burke off it. He's done alright for Sheffield United, watched a couple of games they played over Christmas and he started one, came on as a sub in the other, played well in both. Blades will be desperate to keep hold of players who are performing well right now (though in true Woodgate fasion, based on what I've seen, I think the table is lying).

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, pnefc ok said:

Have heard at our end (Preston) that we’re interested in Lewis Wing.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Is he likely to be available? Is he any good?

Ta.

He rarely gets a game for us now, so it's possible, but we're short on midfielders lately.

He's got a brilliant long range strike on him, and can pick out a decent pass, but his overall game isn't that great.

Will definitely score goals, but he can be quite anonymous outside of that.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, pnefc ok said:

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Is he likely to be available? Is he any good?

Ta.

He's one of those luxury players. Has an occasional Hollywood pass or long range strike in his locker, but it's sometimes like playing with 10.5 men with him in the side.

A game changer, on occasion. Anonymous more often than not though. If he'd made the move to professional football sooner he'd have a better footballing brain I think - but he's 25 now - approaching his peak - and he struggles with the basic reading of a game and off the ball positional elements.

• Like 2

@pnefc ok. We got 4 central midfielders and our manager prefers to play 4.3.3. Wing provides back up to the first choice 3 so i doubt we will loan him to you unless we can loan someone in to cover him.

A permanent bid i think we would defo consider but i think it would still take a 7 figure sum at least and not sure your club has that.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, pnefc ok said:

Ta.

It's very possible, he barely gets game time here and our midfield looks like one of the places we're more than comfortable with bodies. 

I have been one of the biggest fans of Lewis Wing since he first broke out and I still believe he's a Championship quality player in the right system. When he is on form, he's got a great range of passing and I truly believe he's one of the best in the league when it comes to scoring from outside the area. 

He is supposedly one of the most fit players at the club, but you wouldn't think it watching him run, he looks like he's running through molasses at all times.

He can't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag either, which is probably his biggest downfall when it comes to playing under NW. 

I genuinely believe played as an advanced forward thinking midfielder or a genuine number 10, with little to no defensive responsibilities, he can flourish.

He doesn’t nearly have the technical ability to play as a number 10 though or the football brain. He’s a bottom half championship player. Ok and with occasional long range goal. He will do well in a lot of teams in this league but he’s not a top half regular. 

• Like 1

Lewis always needs time (to sort his slow feet out) and space (to regain balance) before he can execute his Fortés, which are his passing and long-range shooting.

He lacks a burst of speed, dynamism and tactical awareness. He is easily shrugged off the ball, quick to go to ground and ineffective at breaking up play.

With a lot of workers and runners around him he could be effective in a 'quarterback' role however in a team which relies on multi-functionality and positional adaptability he can be out of his depth.

I used to be a fan of his when he broke into the team ☺️

9 hours ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

Can’t see this happening, much bigger clubs after him. What’s Marc Albrighton doing these days ?

Albrighton is playing for Leicester first team atm, so i reckon hes off the table. Great player though

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He doesn’t nearly have the technical ability to play as a number 10 though or the football brain. He’s a bottom half championship player. Ok and with occasional long range goal. He will do well in a lot of teams in this league but he’s not a top half regular. 

He 100% does have the technical ability, he showed enough of that in his breakout year. Even now he's one of the only players that will try some clever passes. 

I don't think he has a world class football brain but it's more than acceptable for this league and I think he could thrive in a top half team quite comfortably. Hell he already has once for us. 

The recency bias when it comes to Wing is nuts, he had a really poor year last year, for sure (but when a poor year still yields 7 goals, how mad can you really be?) but to claim he doesn't have technical ability is just rubbish. 

When allowed to play quick football where he doesn't have to be on the ball for very long, he'll thrive. His problems start to occur when he's running with it for any length of time. If he gets settled in a system where he can just give and go, especially in and around the box, he'll be fine.

1 hour ago, pnefc ok said:

Ta.

You have a record of signing players from the League of Ireland. Jack Byrne has announced his departure from Shamrock Rovers. He is ten times better than Lewis Wing. That is where you should be looking. Two or three years ago there were some on here who thought that Wing was the next messiah. He is nowhere near the level of the championship. Avoid at all cost is my opinion 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Blanco said:

You have a record of signing players from the League of Ireland. Jack Byrne has announced his departure from Shamrock Rovers. He is ten times better than Lewis Wing. That is where you should be looking. Two or three years ago there were some on here who thought that Wing was the next messiah. He is nowhere near the level of the championship. Avoid at all cost is my opinion 

?!?!?!!! Jesus christ man.

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

We obviously have different opinions in what we see in a player @Brunners

One of the rare times I agree with you these days! Just doesn't offer enough in any aspect of his Game besides hitting regular speculative shots which hit the back of the net on occasion. What's left of his reputation is based on performances in a season 2 years ago now - and even then he only started 19 games and was in and out of the side. 

Just now, Neverbefore said:

One of the rare times I agree with you these days! Just doesn't offer enough in any aspect of his Game besides hitting regular speculative shots which hit the back of the net on occasion. What's left of his reputation is based on performances in a season 2 years ago now - and even then he only started 19 games and was in and out of the side. 

Thank you @Neverbefore it’s a pleasure to be finally singing from the same hymn sheet 👍

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic